PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference building an inch kit?

kingfish
December 26, 2008, 20:20
I've finally got my australian kit and an inch receiver together so I plan to build my first inch fal. I've done a metric about a year ago and I have the receiver wrench and the standard tools for that job, but can I use the same tools for the inch build? what is it about this "timing washer"? Is it necessary? Can the receiver wrench be used on the inch receiver? If a mod is necessary, will it be ruined for future metric builds? Anyone....

As always, help is always appreciated, thank you in advance.

Ron Walker
December 26, 2008, 22:21
The tools should interchange OK. The breeching washer may or may not be needed. Depends on your receiver. They are easily made from tubing or as I use , stepdown electrical conduit washers with the ID the correct one for your barrel breech. Ron

CJF
December 28, 2008, 22:04
The breeching washer is needed (usually) as othewise the barrel will most likely over-time before getting tight. You use a washer and thin it down until the barrel times at the usual spot (IIRC, 11 o'clock), then tighten as per a metric build.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will now chime in...I've only done one inch build.

Chris

Blood of Tyrants
January 01, 2009, 00:35
Inch rifles use the breeching washer to get correct barrel timing. You will need one of the correct thickness to get it timed at 12 o'clock.

Falfegnügen
January 01, 2009, 01:05
Originally posted by Blood of Tyrants
Inch rifles use the breeching washer to get correct barrel timing. You will need one of the correct thickness to get it timed at 12 o'clock.

+1

If it's a real Australian or otherwise a proper Commonwealth "inch pattern" barrel, you will have to use a breeching washer, no question about it whatesoever. It has nothing to do with the receiver. The receiver barrel breeching dimensions are the same as far as this goes no matter what the receiver pattern.

If you want it to be timed and torqued correctly, it is best to get the proper size and type of washer. They are hardened and avialable in various thicknesses. The whole point of the breeching washer is to allow a more precise fit of timing and tightness. I would personally not use a piece of tubing or electrical conduit, as they are both very soft and may not allow for proper barrel tightness before deforming. For a target rifle, this is probably no big deal. But if you want a reliable weapon you can depend on, I'd do it right.

sturmgrenadiere
January 03, 2009, 16:05
...and to find what timing washer you need, simple trial and error with a feeler gauge held between the receiver face and barrel shoulder until you find what thickness hand times the barrel tight to 11 o'clock. Then if gunthings or gunpartsguy doesn't have the proper thickness, then get whatever the next thicker size is and lighty sand it thinner...

One method.

arashi
January 04, 2009, 07:22
Note: You can't use a British barrel on a DSA Inch or Century Inch receiver without modifying the threads on the Brit barrel near the shoulder.

On Brit barrels, the threads don't go all the way the shoulder.

Don't ask me how I know.

kingfish
January 04, 2009, 22:39
Originally posted by arashi
Note: You can't use a British barrel on a DSA Inch or Century Inch receiver without modifying the threads on the Brit barrel near the shoulder.

On Brit barrels, the threads don't go all the way the shoulder.

Don't ask me how I know.

???
Then what can I do? I never anticipated that before (never heard of it either).