PDA

View Full Version : Dumb? flash hider question

dsol
December 21, 2008, 13:51
Are there any flash hiders that do not require a threaded barrel? I have a Century FrankenFal cut down to 16-1/2 barrel. I had it done by a machinest, we faced it off on a mill and I crowned it the old fashioned way with a marble and 400 grit emery cloth. I opened up the gas port to .110 and it runs great, just throws a big old ball of fire...

I don't want to tear it all down to remove the barrel to put it on a lathe, that is too much of a pain in the biden. I don't know about threading it with a tap, if I can get it straight or not, so this is why I am posing the question. If no such thing exsists, I would like to keep it as simple as possible. I love the short length and plan on either putting an aluminum lower or para conversion at some time in the future, so what would be the lowest cost, short, lightweight, effective flash hider?

I have done searches and fond all sorts of varying opinions. There are lots of different models named but I do not know the threading, how they look, how short they are, etc... pictures would be helpful if anyone has suggestions on what I could use.

Jailguard
December 21, 2008, 15:13
try this

http://www.veriforcetactical.com/tactical_accessories/650/

W.E.G.
December 21, 2008, 15:20
For something like this, you won't be spending a fortune to do it the very best way possible. Send your upper to somebody, and let them thread it correctly.

ActionYobbo
December 21, 2008, 16:15
I thread barrels all the time with the rifle still assembled. its simple. I made up a tool like an outside neck turner. I also have a thread starting guide I made from another piece of barrel and a drill shank. I can only do RH L1A1 threads or ar15 threads. Me not ffl so you cant send it to me..

I mainly thread barrels for silencers . So mine have to be exact..

brownknees
December 21, 2008, 16:54
A friend of mine put one of those "post ban grub screw" thingies on. It shot off after about 15 rounds, scarring the outside of the barrel as it ripped the pointy headed screws along the muzzle end. This was after he had the suggested dimples made in his barrel.

J. Armstrong
December 21, 2008, 19:17
What Gary said.
Thread it and do it right. Of course, you could silver solder one on, I guess.

dsol
December 21, 2008, 19:18
Originally posted by brownknees
A friend of mine put one of those "post ban grub screw" thingies on. It shot off after about 15 rounds, scarring the outside of the barrel as it ripped the pointy headed screws along the muzzle end. This was after he had the suggested dimples made in his barrel.

Good to know, thanks.

Jailguard
December 22, 2008, 20:46
OK well scratch that idea. I threaded my barrel while it was still assembled but I was using a custom made break so i did not have to turn the barrel down just thread.

dsol
December 27, 2008, 11:09
Okay, how about another dumb question. Does a muzzle brake work okay as a flash hider? I really need to reduce the fireball my shortened barrel produces and want to know all my (inexpensive) options. First I am going to find a way to thread my muzzle without a lathe then shove something on the end to kill the flash. This is not a pretty gun, in fact one friend thinks it is my quest to make it the ugliest one out there.

Pluribus
December 27, 2008, 12:12
Many folks, myself included, have had good luck with one of these : http://preciseinnovationsllc.com/old%20pages/threadingkits.htm

N4KVE
December 27, 2008, 12:55
I had my metric FAL bbl threaded by Mr. Bonecrusher. He has a lathe with a special jig he made so the bbl doesn't have to be removed from the receiver. He's on some nets & lives in Oregon. The job was perfect & the price was right. GARY N4KVE