PDA

View Full Version : FAL pistol build questions

AZ Dave
December 17, 2008, 19:29
I have a receiver coming in from DSA soon. Do I need to register it as a pistol? I was told that since it's a pistol,that I dont have to worry about the parts count. Is this true? Do I need to modify the lower so that it wont take a folding or fixed stock for legality? Any advise about these issues or any other advise about this build will be greatly appreciated. Thanks....Dave

USMC 0341
December 18, 2008, 10:26
Many people ask the FFL to put down that a receiver is for a pistol on the paperwork as a CYA measure - I can't see any reason not to.

Yup, 992(r) only covers long guns so there are no "evil parts" restrictions on pistol builds.

If you can come up with any way to make it difficult to change out the lower to accept any buttstock that would be advisible. Heck, have somebody weld the hole shut, grind it flush and file it smooth. Weight the cost against paying a lawyer to keep the BATFE off your butt...

eganx
December 18, 2008, 19:17
out of curiosity, might be a stupid question as I'm new to the FAL world but, what would you do for a recoil spring assembly??? surely you wouldn't build the pistol with the spring tube sticking out the back of the lower...

nightschneider
December 18, 2008, 19:43
it has to have a 'para' recoil assembly with the recoil spring being captive in the dust cover and bolt carrier.

Kay Tue
December 24, 2008, 14:19
FAL Pistol Tutorial:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203479&highlight=fal+pistol