PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I've fallen into a old Colt buying streak and can't get out!

Timber Wolf
December 14, 2008, 15:22
***UPDATE*** MY STREAK CONTINUES, YEE HA!:D :D :D See new post below (still no pics, will work on it).

Nah, don't really want any help, I like buying these things!:D :D I have managed to buy an old Colt wheelgun at each of the last three gun shows and one from an individual in between. First was a needs-work, very wrong-grips Colt Police Positive snubby in .32 Colt New Police (.32 S&W Long). Next was a no-finish (as in 0%), chipped grip but really tight lightweight Cobra snubby in .38 Special. Third, a couple of weeks ago I bought a sweet 1st Generation Colt SAA in .38-40 from an old fellow I know. The SAA left my "gun fund" in a definite negative balance condition but I went to the show yesterday anyway. Right inside the door I spotted and bought an old Colt Army Special in .32-20. Even managed to score some ammo before leaving. Going to light her up this afternoon. Come to think of it, I have not fired the .32 or the Cobra either, this will just not do. These old Colts simply must be shot!

renaissance_warrior
December 15, 2008, 01:44
Nice! All fun stuff! Try your hand at bluein on the snubby. Do you have a bench rinder in your garage? If so, see if you can remove the shield and get a segmented (floppy) polishing pad and a semi-rigid one for the white. Then get the 4-stage compounds. Black, tan, red and white. Polish to a chrome sheen and send off for a salt blue.

The biggest expense for a great blue is the labor, not the bath. Ask for an as-is quote.

Fun stuff.

teddybear
December 15, 2008, 11:03
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Teddybear052/_RLee_postPICS.jpg

Timber Wolf
December 15, 2008, 19:23
Ouch, guilty on the no pics. The Army Special looks like it is one accurate revolver. I got online to Graf's today and ordered 500 cast boolits and a couple hundred Starline brass. Got a bud with dies so saved that expense. The Cobra has already been cleaned up, must have been a mess before as they buffed everything out. I thinking maybe some baking laquer in "parkerized" or something to get some protection back on it.

guy sajer
December 22, 2008, 09:22
Hard to beat these old revolvers . Reliable , accurate , classy ! :)

Looking forward to seeing yours TW :cool:

Army Special .38 from 1926 in nickel .

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/mitch61/ArmySpecial38.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/mitch61/ArmySpl38.jpg

Timber Wolf
January 29, 2009, 10:11
Edit 1/24/09 Left the gun show today with a sweet old 4" Police Positive in "Colt New Police .32". Overall light finish wear and really, really dirty but the action is tight. Dude was walking around with it in his hand looking to sell and I was looking to buy. We reached a deal with him coming down $40 on his asking price and me up $10 on my initial offer. HA! THAT'S FOUR SHOWS, FOUR OLD COLT REVOLVERS!

Oh yeah, I picked up grips for the other .32 and the Cobra all in one shot off fleabay last month. Auction had three sets of "small Colt" grips without any other description. From the picture they looked good so I figured it was worth taking a chance on them since I had so many guns needing grips. When I shot the Army Special the other day the accuracy was amazing. Sometimes the stars align and you get a gun that is inherently accurate with ammo it likes and you also shoot it well. I am having a large time playing with these poor old outmoded no frills revolvers while everybody else is distracted these days buying ARs, AKs, ammo, etc. I did that a couple of years ago so now I can play. THE HOBBY IS FUN FOR ME AGAIN!

K. Funk
January 30, 2009, 20:42
I luv old Colts. Not in the same way as S&W's or Rugers, but I do have a soft spot for them. I have an Army Special and Police Positive in .32-20. I picked this old Police Positive up at auction for a VERY good price. It is a 1909 mfg first issue in .38 S&W. The cylinder was stuck shut due to old grease, therefor the good price. A little Kroil later and wow, she's a beauty.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/kandainv/PP2.jpg

krf

ALL FAL
January 30, 2009, 23:21
I have an old Colt 1917 DA army in .45 long colt, super accurate and fun to shoot, sometimes you can watch the bullet fly. It's a Keeper.:biggrin:

dogngun
February 07, 2009, 20:39
I bought a Model 1917 Colt last summer for my birthday present. Was made in 1919, and had been refinished, but it still looks good to me and it's a nice shooter with .45 ACP ball in the moon clips. It was made in 1919, has no Army markings on it, but the US Property stamp and the horse.

mark

lowr8
February 13, 2009, 22:21
Originally posted by K. Funk
I luv old Colts. Not in the same way as S&W's or Rugers, but I do have a soft spot for them. I have an Army Special and Police Positive in .32-20. I picked this old Police Positive up at auction for a VERY good price. It is a 1909 mfg first issue in .38 S&W. The cylinder was stuck shut due to old grease, therefor the good price. A little Kroil later and wow, she's a beauty.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/kandainv/PP2.jpg

krf
mine is just like it, but with old pearl grips added who knows when.