PDA

View Full Version : AR lower milled out of HDPE!

Hellion Productions
December 11, 2008, 17:01
Here's a guy who milled an AR lower out of HDPE, the same stuff used in most cutting boards. He laminated a few sections together, then milled it with templates. Youtube video is here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3chSzLxPuzU

His build thread is here...

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8035&PN=1&TPN=3

He starts with wood, then switches to HDPE on page 3.

Best,
JBR

fry
December 12, 2008, 01:21
pretty cool

xtremerange
December 12, 2008, 11:21
Yeah, but is it cast or forged? Because if this were AR15.com that makes a big difference!:tongue:

JColdIron
December 12, 2008, 11:37
And can it survive a whack against a tree!...:wink:

fry
December 12, 2008, 14:56
what, youve never beat a frozen block of pork chops against your counter top? lol

ggiilliiee
December 12, 2008, 15:06
cool .hell if the plastic is the same as the city sewer pipe is made out of ..it will be better than alum ..machines better too ..
built a rocck tumbler out of the stuff .hold 200 lbs of mohr 7 hardness rock .been rolling for years .!!!barley have taken the corners off the runners inside the tube (same materal)....freekin tough stuff .....you can bust a tap of in it in a hurry ....alum not so much ....i might have gone with poly carbonate though ..about the same but clear ......put some goldfish in it or something .hehe .

TerryN
December 12, 2008, 23:00
I'm jealous.... :D

lew
December 13, 2008, 10:17
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
put some goldfish in it or something .hehe .

:rofl:

As disturbing as that is, I like the way you think.:D

2barearms
December 14, 2008, 13:46
I've got a carbon fiber AR lower on my 9mm and so far it's done well.
His hammer and trigger pins could get wobbled out after a while
but hey, just make another one. UHMW and Delrin have better wear
properties. BTW you can't glue Polyetylene to anything or itself.

M829A3
December 14, 2008, 21:10
And why would you want to make it out of HDPE?? Is the lower on an AR the registered piece?

JohnnyReb
December 14, 2008, 22:29
Originally posted by M829A3
And why would you want to make it out of HDPE??

Don't know, I buy mine. Maybe just a fun project?

Is the lower on an AR the registered piece?

Yes.

westcoastr
December 15, 2008, 12:00
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
put some goldfish in it or something .hehe .

ggiilliiee is really the only reason i come to the FALfiles

M829A3
December 15, 2008, 17:42
Ah so by making it himself he has an unregulated firearm. Now It seems like a good idea.

muttman
December 15, 2008, 18:47
Ah so by making it himself he has an unregulated firearm. Now It seems like a good idea.
but it is not unregulated. one can build/make a reciver.

muttman

Hellion Productions
December 15, 2008, 21:19
Yup, you can roll your own semi-auto receiver, clear and legal (or mill your own, or stamp your own, or weld your own, or bolt-tegether your own, or rivet your own). Ain't technology great?

You just can't usually sell them, without going through the excise tax/FFL manufacturer route.

Also, I believe privately made weapons still need some form of marking on them, just like regular makers. Your name or initials somewhere, and your general location (i.e. Pahrump, NV) will do. Some home builders even place a serial number on them, like 01. The regs are somewhere out there with the specifics.

Best,
JBR

2barearms
December 15, 2008, 22:20
Originally posted by Hellion Productions
Yup, you can roll your own semi-auto receiver, clear and legal (or mill your own, or stamp your own, or weld your own, or bolt-tegether your own, or rivet your own). Ain't technology great?

You just can't usually sell them, without going through the excise tax/FFL manufacturer route.

Also, I believe privately made weapons still need some form of marking on them, just like regular makers. Your name or initials somewhere, and your general location (i.e. Pahrump, NV) will do. Some home builders even place a serial number on them, like 01. The regs are somewhere out there with the specifics.

Best,
JBR

The 'rule' if you want to call it that was the A.T.F.E (all my favorites) have
said that they 'recommend' that you mark it so that it can be identified if
it should become stolen. I'm sure they'd prefer that you didn't have these under
any circumstances, but they have always been pretty liberal on these from
all I've read. KT Ordnance got sideways with the alphabeta bunch and had
all their inventory seized. I would suspect that like everything to do with
uncle sam it was that they weren't getting their cut. I'd like a couple few
80 percenters for the dark days should they come.

Hellion Productions
December 16, 2008, 00:31
Me too. The milled and bolted KT lower would have done well. Perhaps someone can reverse engineer one? KT doesn't seem to be doing much with the design these days...

Hmm...I feel a project coming on...

Best,
JBR

ggiilliiee
December 16, 2008, 11:24
they'd be "ill tempered" goldfish too ..with laser beams attached to their frikin heads ...hehe