PDA

View Full Version : Webly MK VI

Bawana jim
December 10, 2008, 20:56
I got a chance to buy a Webly Mark VI in 455. It is all original except:uhoh: some rectum put his dl # on the barrel. It is very light but still obviouse. If it were not for the # it would be 98 %. He wants my 308 savage and $100. My Savage is no prom queen but it's easy to get ammo for. Or he wants $450

Can you still buy 455 ammo or do you have to roll your own??

Would you do the deal???

jim

SteveW
December 10, 2008, 21:29
Is it still in 455, or has the cylinder been shaved for 45 ACP in clips or 45AR ?

You can still get Hornady and Fiocchi (sp ?) 455, but it's spendy. Take a look on GunBroker to get an idea of pricing. $450 is on the low side, but if it's tatty and has some extra numbers impressed on the barrel....

Edited to say that I just noticed you said it was 98%. Really ? 98% ? Most of these old things had a hard life in the trenches. If so, it would boost the price..

K. Funk
December 10, 2008, 21:34
It is important to know if it was shaved. $350 -$550 is typical for guns that were shaved to accept .45 Auto Rim. Unshaved would bring a premium, perhaps $750+.

krf

Bawana jim
December 10, 2008, 22:26
It is all original and unshaved. Stamps frpm armoury still on the face. A true 455 and every screw head is perfect. Shows little or no wear. No rust. Bore is perfect. But like I said the guy put his Drivers Lic # on the left side of the barrel.

This is a struggle as to buy it or not, money is a little tight for Christmas and I have spent alot allready.

jim

SteveW
December 10, 2008, 22:27
Your value might also depend on what you wanted to do with it. Shooter or Classic handgun.

If it had been shaved, it is easy to reload for it. 45AR Starline brass, NEI mould #330, 6.5 grains of HS6 ans WLP. Duplicates Webley 455 ballistics.
I wouldn't shoot commercial 45 ACP in it, it's like shooting proof rounds all the time.

Unshaved, its Hornady/Fiocchi factory ammo at about $1 a pop - or buy 455 reproduction brass from someone like Buffalo Arms, which is really cut down and rim shaved 45 Colt. Same mould (NEI #330).

SteveW
December 10, 2008, 22:29
Unshaved, as Karl notes, is worth $750 and up. I just sold an original Mk V on GunBroker for $1k. I have a shaved Mk IV for sale there now. Be interesting to see what it fetches.

Tough decision at this time of the year..

Bawana jim
December 10, 2008, 22:33
Great looking gun and even has an old ragged lanyard with it. I figure my Savage 99 in 308 is worth about $350 in this area so I don't think I am far off by adding $100 to it but damn I am going to have to shoot it some and the ammo is pricey.:sad: Hate decisions like this.

At least if one of you guys said it's a great deal I could tell my wife and blame it on you

jim:D :D

SteveW
December 10, 2008, 22:36
Its a GREAT deal.

And, if you don't like it, sell it on GB later. If it only fetched $600 because of the extra numbers on the bbl, you are still $$$ in the deal.. Take the lady out to dinner..

Bawana jim
December 10, 2008, 22:40
Thanks Steve:wink:

jim

Elwarpo
December 12, 2008, 15:45
Anyone know what one in Excellent condition with the .22 second cylinder and barrel insert is worth?

There is very minor pitting in the barrel where the .22 barrel sleeve sits. Also the .455 cylinder (not shaved) is not matching. Timing on the .22 is a bit off.

Sorry for the hijack.