PDA

View Full Version : Danish Sniper?

DABTL
December 07, 2008, 12:45
On GB there is a PB receivered M1D.

Claim of rarity.

I am dubious. I have several Dane marked M84 scopes, PB receivers are not uncommon and the remainder looks like any other Dane return.

Although, because I have Dane marked M84 scopes, they were obviously used by Denmark.

Interesting rifle, however.

ByronF
December 07, 2008, 12:54
I have a Danish M1D kit (all USGI) assembled to a SA war-era receiver. I was under impression that the only correct M1D receiver would be a war-era SA. If it was a US supplied M1D I cannot understand the PB receiver.

DABTL
December 07, 2008, 15:32
Originally posted by ByronF
I have a Danish M1D kit (all USGI) assembled to a SA war-era receiver. I was under impression that the only correct M1D receiver would be a war-era SA. If it was a US supplied M1D I cannot understand the PB receiver.

They are all assembled rifles after the war. When needed a barrel was attached and instant sniper. This is why there are no 'correct' versions, only mutts.

kalliste
December 07, 2008, 16:44
The Korean Era "Ds": The smart money says that virtually no M1Ds were produced for distribution during W.W.II, but were converted from service rifles in the early 1950s for use in the "Korean Unpleasantness". To add credence to this, all Springfield Armory records list the M1Ds as "rebuilds" with the last rifle "rebuild" supposedly taking place during June of 1953. The total number of M1Ds built is said to have been 28,240 as opposed to a supposed total production of the M1Cs of 7,981. These figures are somewhat "iffy" as Springfield Armory often rebuilt weapons of all types more than once, and the numbers sometimes became immersed in the mists of time
http://www.jouster.com/articles30m1/Variations.html

ByronF
December 07, 2008, 16:48
There are INCORRECT versions, however. Pretty sure Scott Duff claims all M1D should be WWII era SA receivers. A cast Century M1D is nearly as authentic as a Winchester. Neither were ever used on original M1D according to Duff. But I get your point about no "correct" range of serials or whatever because it's my understanding that they were conversions of SA rifles in for rearsenal. That's my recollection of reading Duff's book, anyhow.

DABTL
December 07, 2008, 16:54
There are INCORRECT versions, however. Pretty sure Scott Duff claims all M1D should be WWII era SA receivers. A cast Century M1D is nearly as authentic as a Winchester. Neither were ever used on original M1D according to Duff. But I get your point about no "correct" range of serials or whatever because it's my understanding that they were conversions of SA rifles in for rearsenal. That's my recollection of reading Duff's book, anyhow.

Scott Duff is a well informed collector. However, I do not think anyone ever thought about just making SA receivered snipers of the Garand.

I sorted the Greek returns for a week at CMP. I came across a box of M1C snipers. They had SA and Winchester receivers on them. They were all in terrible shape. I also sorted a half dozen M1D all of which had SA receivers and were in horrible shape. I never saw them auctioned in the condition I saw.

Duff could be right just as well as he could be wrong in my opinion. But, I have two M1D's both on SA receivers. I just know they must be original and have great worth. :rofl:

ByronF
December 07, 2008, 17:29
So here are our choices as I see it:

1. Scott Duff, a well-informed collector and considered by many as THE expert on the M1 Garand rifle makes no mention of PB receivered M1D Garands and the guy on GB has a legit uber-rare piece of gunnuttery history

2. A guy on GB is full of crap and trolling for a sucker.

I'll split the difference and say the rifle is worth the sum of the parts.

DABTL
December 07, 2008, 18:07
So here are our choices as I see it:

1. Scott Duff, a well-informed collector and considered by many as THE expert on the M1 Garand rifle makes no mention of PB receivered M1D Garands and the guy on GB has a legit uber-rare piece of gunnuttery history

2. A guy on GB is full of crap and trolling for a sucker.

I'll split the difference and say the rifle is worth the sum of the parts.

That is a safe call on EVERY M1D. If the barrel is genuine, the rifle is just as genuine or fake as you see fit. Sum of the parts is the answer to the question of how much it is worth. Even if Duff swore on it, the value is still the sum of the parts.

julysol
December 12, 2008, 04:45
I've been doing some recent reading on the italian's Garand efforts after ww2. Interesting thing though is that they supplied Denmark and a lot of other countries with Garand rifles, parts, and service. THere is still a lot of yet to be disscovered history on the garand, especially in foreign service. (not to support this guy if he's full of crap and trying to fish for a sucker with a fat wallet).

If the Danes had a Garand sniper that needed parts (including a new receiver), they most likly called Berreta to supply and/or do the work. Beretta was quite active in the foreign market to sell garands and service. I think they had an Italian love affair with the Garand (italians are known for thier love affairs). Don't forget too that they designed the BM59 around the Garand which served thier country up into the 80's.

Not to get off track. But what I'm suggesting (just a suggestion) is it is plausible that a Beretta receiver was used to replace a damaged/worn/abused US receiver on an M1D, or even to fill a demand for semi auto sniper rifles (M1D's). Beretta was certainly up to the task to do so.
Even if they did do a few, the odds of this being one? Well, I'm not Spauk (that pointy eared guy from star trek)

DABTL
December 12, 2008, 06:27
It is also possible that a Beretta Garand was converted to sniper configuration and the crap Euro furniture and stuff was added during the service of the weapon.

But, in the end it is a M1D and worth only the sum of the parts, no matter what Scott Duff thinks, in my opinion.

1MOR
December 17, 2008, 21:19
The Danes were also known to have welded scope mounts to PB receivers. Many of those welded PB receivers came into Canada during the 90s attached to complete rifles. The rifles were taken apart and the parts kits minus the receivers were sold in the US through CAI. Some of the parts kits came from Danish M1Ds and were complete with the M84 scopes. Some of us bought parts kits from Aim Surplus. Some of the welded PB receivers magically appeared South of the Canadian border.

As has been stated, if the barrel has the M1D part number, a 55 prefix or something close, it may have been on a M1D at some point in its life.

The Italians were in love with the Garand because Uncle gave/sold the Winchester production machinery, tooling and remaining spares to Italy. It is not uncommon to see Italian sourced parts, PB, BMB, BMR stamped and to also see the Winny proof mark "." on the same part.

ramiller
December 17, 2008, 21:35
Just for the sake of conversation I have a Winchester M-1D as received from CMP on the first lottery for them at 625.00 ea.

1MOR
December 17, 2008, 21:56
I have a friend who also won a M1D through the CMP lottery. He got a rebuilt SA, came with the scope, cheekpiece and late moded slotted fh. The buttstock was new, had the open boxed SA cartouch and was drilled for the brass cheekpiece screws. The accessories were still in the foil lined vacuum packs. All for the same price as yours. I never won a M1D, but did score an Ex+ Remmy 03A3 all matching for $300 off one of the lotteries.