PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 28 Price help

festus
December 06, 2008, 15:09
Model 28 4" barrel, marked NY State Police, supposed to be tuned up and shot competitively, being offered by retired officer, oh yeah, 357mag.
This is all I know except I like it, has custom grips too. This will be ftf, he is demanding 450 for it, won't come down any more. I promised him I would let him know for sure if I wanted it tomorrow night.
This is a major investment to me if I go for it, and he said they were going for about 700 bucks on gun-broker. I think he said early 70's manufacture. If I buy this would I be nuts?

richbug
December 06, 2008, 15:22
Originally posted by festus
supposed to be tuned up and shot competitively,

Makes it sound like bubba may have been inside her. Would scare me. Shot competitively for what?

28's aren't worth what 27's are. 4" barrels aren't that desireable.

IMHO, crappy economy and all, sounds pretty high unless it is real nice. That being said they don't make them like that anymore.

festus
December 06, 2008, 15:27
Originally posted by richbug

Makes it sound like bubba may have been inside her. Would scare me. Shot competitively for what?

28's aren't worth what 27's are. 4" barrels aren't that desireable.

IMHO, crappy economy and all, sounds pretty high unless it is real nice. That being said they don't make them like that anymore.

State Police compitition shooting. Official stuff I guess, I don't believe Bubba got to it.

richbug
December 06, 2008, 15:46

State Police compitition shooting. Official stuff I guess, I don't believe Bubba got to it.

First rule of shooting, Cops can't shoot(95% true). If you don't believe me watch them qualify some time.

ThePitbullofLove
December 06, 2008, 17:41
A few items:

1. Model 28's are not, as a rule, "going for $700 on Gunbroker".
2. Model 28's in 4" bbl lengths are desirable, as are ALL S&W pinned and recessed pistols.
3. Model 28's are every bit the equal of 27's in terms of function, accuracy, and reliability. The only real difference is in level of finish and checkering.

$700 is way too much for a Model 28 in today's market. Typically, they bring $400-$550, depending on condition, barrel length, and "dash mark".

A pre-28 Highway Patrolman may bring up to $700 or so, but in no way will a 28, 28-1, or 28-2 bring that kind of money, unless the seller has more dollars than sense.

Model 28's are a bargain in the Smith & Wesson collecting world. The big N-frame .357's are tough as nails, accurate, and just now becoming appreciated for their collectibility. For years the 28 was the ugly kid at the dance next to the shiny Model 27, but today they're being recognized for the great value that they are.

Earlier this year I paid $325 for a 4" Model 28-2. That's on the very low end of pricing. The high end is a pre-Model 28 with no bids on it for $725 on Gunbroker. Most auctions fall in between in the $400-$500 range.

Good luck, but unless that revolver is something "special", $700 is way too much, IMHO.

festus
December 06, 2008, 18:21
Originally posted by ThePitbullofLove
A few items:

1. Model 28's are not, as a rule, "going for $700 on Gunbroker".
2. Model 28's in 4" bbl lengths are desirable, as are ALL S&W pinned and recessed pistols.
3. Model 28's are every bit the equal of 27's in terms of function, accuracy, and reliability. The only real difference is in level of finish and checkering.

$700 is way too much for a Model 28 in today's market. Typically, they bring $400-$550, depending on condition, barrel length, and "dash mark".

A pre-28 Highway Patrolman may bring up to $700 or so, but in no way will a 28, 28-1, or 28-2 bring that kind of money, unless the seller has more dollars than sense.

Model 28's are a bargain in the Smith & Wesson collecting world. The big N-frame .357's are tough as nails, accurate, and just now becoming appreciated for their collectibility. For years the 28 was the ugly kid at the dance next to the shiny Model 27, but today they're being recognized for the great value that they are.

Earlier this year I paid $325 for a 4" Model 28-2. That's on the very low end of pricing. The high end is a pre-Model 28 with no bids on it for $725 on Gunbroker. Most auctions fall in between in the $400-$500 range.

Good luck, but unless that revolver is something "special", $700 is way too much, IMHO.

His price is 450.00, no tax or transfer or shipping. Does having it marked property of NYSP increase value any?

frontier
December 06, 2008, 18:28
Shot competitively means a lot of rounds fired through it. I would find another to put your money on.

patrick kelly
December 06, 2008, 18:41
The LE markings may provide extra value for a person who collects such things, or may be a detractor for someone who isn't, just depends.

$450.00 isn't a bad price for a 28 in good shape, but all the supposed tuning won't help collector value if you're concerned about that. 28s won't be getting any cheaper as they seem to be one of the fad guns amongst S&W collectors right now.

In the end, if you like the piece and it's good and tight, and not shot out, then he isn't trying to gouge you but nor will you be walking away with a screaming deal. Sounds like a middle of the road deal to me.

The Gunbroker comment is crap.

ThePitbullofLove
December 06, 2008, 20:33
As stated, the police markings mean something to those who collect that sort of thing.

And yes, you'd definitely need to check the lock up, tightness, and timing of any gun that was fired a great deal.

At $450, assuming it's in 90%+ condition, it's not a bad price. If it's worn, mistimed, etc, the value goes down.

If it comes with the original box, tools, accessories, then it's worth a bit more than just the gun itself. Oh yeah, if he's got the original grips..make sure he includes them too.

Indycar
December 06, 2008, 20:52
I recently paid $600 for a new 28-2 here in Indy. I don't think it had been shot outside the factory. No cartridge marks on the recoil sheild, and no turn lines on the cyinder. The insides were gummy with dried oil, but with no wear marks on the bearing surfaces of the hammer, trigger, transfer bar, side plate or hammer block

It hasn't been reblued, so with muh pain, I paid the 6 bills.

After a good bath and lubing, I have a duplicate of the first pistol I ever owned.

I've got about 700 rounds through it now and at 2000, I'm going to have Verne Trester do one of his "Microtune" action jobs on it.

This will be the pistol I will shoot the most

Usually in this area, a good used 28-2 goes for $400 to $475, so I really had to talk myself into this one, but it is what I wanted. Plus, finding a new 28-2 over 25 years after they were discontinued is like going back to my youth.

George4
December 07, 2008, 13:21
Couldn't resist.........I bought a new Highway Patrolman, 6 inch barrel, l959, George Cake Law Enforcement Supply, Calif for the huge sum of... $65.00 with the standard skinny grips. Passed it to my son. Still shoots like new, only the trigger justs gets better. Oh yes to put things in perspective, starting salary for me in l960......$450.00 month. :beer:

fry
December 07, 2008, 15:21
450 seems a bit much for what you have described.

festus
December 07, 2008, 18:21
Thanks everyone for their honest opinions. I have tried not to act impulsively in purchasing this handgun, and my gut feeling is that it is worth 450.00, but not more than that. Money is tight, and I can't afford to just buy what I like anymore. I called the gentleman and told him that I can not buy it now. He is a nice guy and a fellow club member, and said that he would probably sit on it until march, and I can get it then at the same price.
Not too long ago, I would just buy it and not think twice. Those days are over.

LV Hospice RN
December 07, 2008, 21:20
Here are a couple model 27's on Gunbroker...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117486633

currently at $385

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp?SearchResults.asp?SearchType=0&Keywords=model+28

currently at 275

If it truly was used in competition, as someone else said, check it carefully for tight lock up...

As far as the PD markings are concerned, if its worth something to you, go for it...if not, dont pay extra for something YOU dont care about one way or the other...

just imho, ymmv
darrell
phoenix

dfletcher
December 14, 2008, 01:28
Model 28 4" barrel, marked NY State Police, supposed to be tuned up and shot competitively, being offered by retired officer, oh yeah, 357mag.
This is all I know except I like it, has custom grips too. This will be ftf, he is demanding 450 for it, won't come down any more. I promised him I would let him know for sure if I wanted it tomorrow night.
This is a major investment to me if I go for it, and he said they were going for about 700 bucks on gun-broker. I think he said early 70's manufacture. If I buy this would I be nuts?

So if it's going for $700.00 on GB why is he selling it for $450.00?

Even in California, where these things are hard to find, I just bought a 6" one for $450.00. No box, if it was fired at all I'd be surprised. So "they're going for $700.00" is way off base.

I suppose the quality of the "tuning" would be a determining factor and is the gun safe? That it is 70's manufacture - no big deal. Personally when I buy an older gun I'd prefer that it be in its original state. For the 28 that's matte blue finish and factory service grips. Often times "custom grips" are really nothing more than aftermarket grips.

Bottom line is if you like it and if it functions properly and is outwardly in excellent shape (I'd say $450.00 requires excellent, not good) then go ahead in buy it.

renaissance_warrior
December 15, 2008, 01:26
Just wait until the middle of next year, you will see all kinds of them on Funjoker. Better quality too. The safes and top dresser drawers with the ever-present heirloom Crown Royal bags will be opening. :wink: Not even New Years yet.

dfletcher
December 19, 2008, 01:56
Check out the price on this 28 - and note no one has bid on the thing. Sort of renews my faith in mankind that no one will bite.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118303195

You could buy two 28s for the price this fellow is asking. I suppose you can't blame the guy for trying.

Temp
December 19, 2008, 10:18
N frame Smith's are built very strong for a .357 and they'll handle buckets of loads without substantially loosening up,... but gas cutting of the topstrap is a different matter.

On any .357 S&W, a good indicator of how much it's been shot will be exhibited by how much gas cutting is evident.

I also look at the cylinder notches when buying any double action revolver. Lots of DA cycling will peen the edges of the notches and will eventually cause a bit of slop in the cylinder.

To check for the amount of play in a revolver cylinder, cock the hammer, let it down, and while holding the trigger back see how much rotational movement the cylinder demonstrates.

Old Sarge
December 23, 2008, 08:04
Ok I am sort of in the same boat. I would love to get a nice Mod 28 with a 4" tube. But I don't want to pay $450. for one. If I can find one in good shape and can get it for around $300 to $350. I would be a buyer.

Best of luck
Old Sarge

bykerhd
December 23, 2008, 11:38
There is a used 6" in a local shop right now. A bit under $ 400 as I recall.
Quite a clean piece actually. But, I am looking more for a 4" 28, 27 or maybe even a 686. I let a gem of a 4" 686 get away from me some years back.
I'm still kicking myself for that moment of weakness.

ThePitbullofLove
December 24, 2008, 09:14
http://images34.fotki.com/v1146/photos/2/28682/3924679/25-vi.jpg

$275 on gunbroker a couple months ago.

Keep looking, they're still out there.

festus
December 24, 2008, 15:42
Originally posted by ThePitbullofLove
http://images34.fotki.com/v1146/photos/2/28682/3924679/25-vi.jpg

$275 on gunbroker a couple months ago.

Keep looking, they're still out there.

Stop it, your killin' me!
Got out my 15 dollar Orteges 32 auto that was all rusted up when I bought it, and a Kroll bath for 6 weeks later got it to function, and now I have a carry weapon. It doesn't jam or anything, and it sure isn't a S&W Model 28, like I would like to have, but the price was right.
The three gun dealers round here are really empty. They can't keep anything in stock, and people are not bringing in guns to sell.

Klatuu
January 10, 2009, 12:27
$450 is a bit high even for a -2, unless it maybe has an early S serial #, although 4 inch barrels are a bit more in demand. If it's a "no dash" or a "pre", by any chance, it would be worth it.

A good one for around $400 isn't a bad deal, but $350 is much better. Under $300 and you're beating the system, unless it's worn out.

It's still the best deal in N-Frame Smith's, and it handles the .357 like a champ.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/Klatuu_1/Guns/28b-1.jpg