PDA

View Full Version : Finish on new SA M1A's

Odd Gibbs Shooter
December 05, 2008, 14:03
I just picked up a new NM M1A (well new old stock made in 2003)......My first and I must say I kinda like it!

The stock is really nice but it seems a little on the dry side. It is stained really nice, but it just feels a little on the dry side.

Anything to rub on it? Right now it reminds me of a dry piece of chalk! Needs some 90W rubbed in it or something?

Did I mention it feels dry?

Thanks,
OGS:eek:

Survey Punk
December 05, 2008, 15:27
"Once a day for a week. Once a week for a month. Once a month for a year. Once a year for the rest of your life"
Old mantra on gunstock finishing which tells how boiled linseed oil is applied to the stock. Use very thin coats and rub well in with your hands with enough pressure that you generate warmth to open the pores in the wood.
It takes a long time to give walnut that "warmth" of a well used stock but even after a few applications you'll be amazed the difference in the feel of the wood.

JB

Swampy
December 06, 2008, 08:45
OGS,

Survey Punk gives good info.... and you can also use Pure Tung as opposed to BLO.

I prefer Pure Tung. The aroma is not quite as nice as BLO, but I like the finished sheen a bit more than I like BLO.

Just me.....

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

Odd Gibbs Shooter
December 08, 2008, 09:34
Well it's looking alot better! I would say 100% better! With just a couple coats.

Although, my wife is wondering about me now.........

She caught me rubbing it down with my bare hands until it's a little warm, adding oil and rubbing more....:uhoh:

Jailguard
December 08, 2008, 09:55
so she caught you rubing you wood down with oil? I think alot of our wives wounder about what we do and why.

Stranger
December 08, 2008, 11:14
Originally posted by Swampy
OGS,
I prefer Pure Tung. The aroma is not quite as nice as BLO, but I like the finished sheen a bit more than I like BLO.

+1 on the pure tung oil. Most of the time you will have to special order it, but it is well worth the effort. I have refinished a dozen or so stocks in it and the results are always gorgeous.

Swampy
December 09, 2008, 08:41
+1 on the pure tung oil. Most of the time you will have to special order it,

My local "OP Hardwood" store had Hope's Pure Tung on the shelf.....

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

Odd Gibbs Shooter
December 09, 2008, 10:02
BLO is working quite well. I have been warming the stock by leaning it up against the wall near a heat vent. Then rubbing in a good coat with my hands. Got about 6 coats on it so far.

I will have to post up some photos of it.

Thanks for the great info guys! It is working great.

Now I have an HRA Garand that needs a little TLC also.

Off to rub down some vintage wood!

Ssarge
December 09, 2008, 20:33
Be cautious of your BLO rags. They can spontaniously combust and burn up your house. (Dupage Trading lost it's store with tons of rare guns and stocks to a fire caused by a BLO soaked rag) I store mine in an air tight glass jar. You can also put them in water.

Odd Gibbs Shooter
December 09, 2008, 21:13
:uhoh:

Whoa, as I am looking at a couple of BLO soaked rags sitting on my workbench. I see them from hear......not smoking yet, but just in case I am tossing them out in the burn pile.

Fire sux!

Thanks for the warning..

metalreptile
December 16, 2008, 17:44
Originally posted by Odd Gibbs Shooter
She caught me rubbing it down with my bare hands until it's a little warm, adding oil and rubbing more....:uhoh:

Be careful....I read somewhere that can cause blindness.....:shades:

BULLDOG
December 17, 2008, 10:00
This may sound crazy, but I use Olde English furniture polish. It seems to penetrate well, and does not "sweat" when shooting in the hot summer sun. Just my 2 cents worth.

SEMPER FI

EBRfan
December 31, 2008, 18:50
Pure Tung Oil here as well. Turns out very nice, but remember to use thin coats.

JeepsAndGuns
December 31, 2008, 21:36
Well I will add another vote for BLO. It looks great, and makes my Garands stock smell good.

JohnnyReb
December 31, 2008, 22:27
Use PTO or Behr Scandinavian Clear. The BLO will never dry.

1Rocky
January 01, 2009, 22:50
Tung oil very easy to find at home depot and it dries fasrter than blo

1Rocky

Swampy
January 01, 2009, 23:19
Tung oil very easy to find at home depot and it dries fasrter than blo

Most hardware and home store "Tung Oils" are mixtures that include dryers and varnishes.... They are not pure tung oil. That's why "Pure Tung" was specified several times earlier in the thread.

"Tung Oil Finishes" are totally different animals from "Pure Tung Oil".

Pure Tung dries quite slowly and must be applied over time, as with BLO.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

Renwyn
January 14, 2009, 21:49
Would it be okay to use the "Dark Tung Oil" you sometimes see in stores? This: Dark Tung Oil (http://tinyurl.com/8xjanc). I realize this would darken the stock, that's why i'm asking. :)

schmedly
January 18, 2009, 18:44
In the past I had a grand that came to me with an after market stock set , very soft wood easly dented ! I began treating the stock and metal of the rifle with BLO and loved the results ! After several months the stock took on a red petina and became much stroger and harder. There was warmth and life to the stock that had not been there befor , from a dry and lifeless piece of wood to a warm liveing rifle . I still regrett letting that rifle go , but the wolf was at the door ! I might try to get a service grade from the CMP this year as I really miss haveing a piece of history in the vault , and I think my M1 Carbine is lonly ! Paul ( The old army guy ):fal:

Blue Monster
January 20, 2009, 14:52
Tung oil, a little thinned with mineral spirits applied warm and slowly rubbed in. The longer you rub at each application the better it will look. (watch TV while rubbing your wood, I suspect it's been done before...)
I re-apply once or twice a month, forever.

If you want it to dry faster you can use a touch of Japaneses driers too. This also increases it's volatility too :D

I smoke, BLO blows up real easy, I mostly use Tung oil, slightly safer.

Treat wet BLO or Tung rags like deadly laundry: Stretch a line in your work shop and hang them up when wet and don't let them touch. They will be inert in a day, till then they are Molotov cocktails, I cannot stress enough just how volatile they are when wet.

If there is a good base of oil the dark oil will not darken your stock much. I advise against darkeners or stain they just fill the grain and decrease the pop. When I want color I use a tiny amount of wood tint diluted in a lot of spirits or denatured alcohol. Most stains and darkeners are just dust in solution and will not improve the finish just flatten and darken.
MHO YMMV

Prowler1
February 08, 2009, 15:25
Springfield Armory (the US armory not the company) used Tung Oil. The Government owned groves of Tung trees in in the South just in case, as happened in WWII, the Asian supply was blocked. Check Hatcher's books on Sprinfield Armory.
BLO was used by troops in the field. It was not, however, what they were issued new with.