PDA

View Full Version : Silver Bear 168 gr SP OK in Garand/1917?

captk
November 30, 2008, 20:13
Local indoor range only allows SP ammo. I found some Silver bear 168 gr SP ammo i am thinking of getting. I have FN49's, 03A3's, 1917's and Garands in 30-06. Is this OK to use this ammo? I don't want to screw up the Garands or FN49's. I am guessing it''s OK for the bolt guns.
Ken

dscottch
November 30, 2008, 20:28
ssssshhhhhh, it's my go to ammo for the fal. some of us are trying to keep it a secret!

DYNOMIKE
November 30, 2008, 20:35
I think it should be Fine...
I saw quite a bit of this fired the other day and it functioned just fine.. While accuracy was not the best, and ejection seemed a BIT erratic the stuff worked everytime he pulled the trigger..

HTH.. :beer:

Heat
November 30, 2008, 22:29
Hornady has some 'Garand specific' '06 they are marketing..168g A-MAX bullet and medium burning powder at 2710 FPS ..but it is pricey($38-$45 per 20rds--ouch)
Ever think of just buying same bullets in bulk and other components and putting some together yourself?
I have found Varget powder, 46 grains with the Hornady 150g FMJ bullet nearly duplicates traditional load..just a slight reduction in the load with a 168g bullet might be just right!

AliYahu
November 30, 2008, 23:30
I read years ago not to shoot any commercial ammo over 150 grains in a Garand unless it's specific to a Garand, it will bend the op rod.

Eli

Heat
December 01, 2008, 02:59
Originally posted by AliYahu
I read years ago not to shoot any commercial ammo over 150 grains in a Garand unless it's specific to a Garand, it will bend the op rod.

Eli
I was told 180 grainers were verboten because of that..but now both Black hills and Hornady are marketing 'Garand specific' ammo both loaded with 165+gr bullets with slower burning powder to match loads it was designed for..I will try some soon..or maybe just load up some 155gr A-max bullets as they are quite accurate!
http://www.dgrguns.com/0-main-page-custom-built-Rifles.htm

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Swampy
December 01, 2008, 08:09
captk,

My guess is the Silver Bear would be OK for the bolt rifles... but I'd NEVER shoot it in my M1. You have no idea what the burn rate is on the powder in that stuff and there is no telling what East Europeans are going to change to on a whim when they run out of the lot of powder they are using now in todays lot..... assuming todays lot IS OK for the M1, and that is an assumption.

I have heard way too many reports of EE 30-06 ammo with a louder than normal report and a big muzzle flash. This is a sure indicator of a powder with a burn rate too slow for the M1's gas system..... not the ONLY indicator by far, but an obvious one.

I was told 180 grainers were verboten because of that..but now both Black hills and Hornady are marketing 'Garand specific' ammo both loaded with 165+gr bullets with slower burning powder to match loads it was designed for..

I think you mean a FASTER burning powder. Slower powders are what cause the gas port pressure to be above design spec.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

StoneyCreekMrMauser
December 01, 2008, 23:14
FWIW, you'll have a hell of a time getting those cartridges in that clip if it's new. Older ones not so much.

I'm a little nervous about the M1's op rod myself. The '17 ought to be just fine though.

captk
December 02, 2008, 21:09
The ammo would be for those crappy days I don't want to shoot outside. I can only use SP ammo at the indoor range and some blasting with the 1917's would be a good way to blow off some steam. I'll pass on using it in the Garands. I'll try some in the bolt guns.

Thanks, Ken

Heat
December 03, 2008, 00:59
Originally posted by captk
The ammo would be for those crappy days I don't want to shoot outside. I can only use SP ammo at the indoor range and some blasting with the 1917's would be a good way to blow off some steam. I'll pass on using it in the Garands. I'll try some in the bolt guns.

Thanks, Ken
Handload, handload, handload
I have found that it doesent take much to put together 2-3 bandoleers of .30-06 for the garand..and I have complete control over the process..I load a little light for the range and no problems--SP bullets are still rather cheap, especially 150grainers and if you load light you can re-load maybe a dozen times
I have always been skeptical of the new ammo from the eastern bloc..had some VERY hot .308 from Sellior&Bellot once and have steered clear ever since
My ideal range ammo is Remington/Federal or Winchester Brass, Varget powder (46gr), CCI primers and Hornady bullets