PDA

View Full Version : scout accuracy???

scottymetz
November 26, 2008, 21:54
well,i finally broke down and joined the fray and bought a new m1-a scout rifle-
anyone have any experience with these -i'm anxious to compre performance with my old preban-it feels great to hold-i had wanted a socom but feel like maybe i'll be glad i got this instead,much slimmer profile i think-scott

ByronF
November 26, 2008, 22:52
Got a Scout. Have no complaints. Can't compare with a std length because I never had one. Accuracy is fine. I see no reason the Scout would suffer any inherent accuracy problems. I ditched the Scout mount and go with irons only. Had no accuracy problems, just didn't want it. Now I wish I hadn't sold it but really don't think I'd put it back on. If I change my mind I may go with the Fulton Armory kind that do away with handguard entirely. Might like to someday change the brake for a flash hider. Bayo lug is useless because it's too close to the gas plug.

I'm sure I would not trade my Scout for a SOCOM. 16" is too short IMO. And my Scout uses USGI compatible components. SOCOM is sort of an odd duck and I think they're fugly, especially with all the cheese-grater handguard bullcrap. Let's agree to NOT reinvent the M14 for the "new century", shall we?

ByronF
November 27, 2008, 07:51
You know, I was thinking about it some more. I wonder if a Scout might have some inherent accuracy advantages and here's why. A semi rifle with a tight action has a certain accuracy potential based on bolt, chamber, and barrel characteristics. That potential goes down as we hang rattly parts on it and send gas system components into motion. Given that, with a gas gun I think maybe you want to get that bullet free of the barrel as soon as possible (i.e. before things start moving). If that theory has merit then a Scout has the upper hand with the shorter barrel. Also, a shorter barrel is stiffer and the amplitude of vibes at the muzzle are less than for a longer barrel.

Now here's where the theory falls apart. Does the gas piston and op rod even START to move before the bullet leaves muzzle on a 21" barrel? Don't know. But if moving gas system components area factor one can easily confirm with statistical analysis of group sizes with gas valve turned on vs off. When I say "statistical" I'm talking shooting maybe thirty 5-shot groups with gas on, repeat with gas off. Throw down a little statistical magic, see what the data tells you.

Another thing: rifle acuracy is one thing. Put the operator into the picture and things can change. Scout has shorter sight radius so it's a bit tougher to ensure good sight alignment.

So after all of that I come back to this conclusion: Regarding Scout accuracy I have no complaints.

Bigwaves_us
November 30, 2008, 06:47
I find my scout is very close in accuracy to the standard m1a. Coming from shooting FAL's the M1A accuracy can be shocking.

scottymetz
November 30, 2008, 11:37
shocking good or shocking bad???!

ByronF
November 30, 2008, 13:04
Shocking: Good if you like an accurate M1A. Bad if you're the FAL that is being out-shot by the M1A. Most often one will find the M1A more accurate than the FAL for a variety of design reasons.