PDA

View Full Version : what sight do you use

ActionYobbo
November 23, 2008, 14:01
what sight do you use on your revolver for hunting or target work. do you like it or not and why.
thanks

BUFF
November 23, 2008, 19:52
For targets and hunting S&W's adjustable sights are excellent. Big and square sight picture.

For targets, I prefer a plain black Patridge front sight. Either plain or white outline rear sight blade.

For hunting, either the same Patridge or the red insert ramp up front.

Para Driver
November 23, 2008, 21:28
for automatics, the Novak 3 dot.. nuthin better..

on large rifles I have had great luck with a gold cylinder, cut at a very slight angle to catch the light.. these really stand out.

skeeterbay
November 23, 2008, 21:30
My eyes not being what they use to be I also prefer a colored front sight. I like most any square adjustable sight, Ruger, S&W and the like. They all work pretty good for target work and general hunting..

My woods bumming gun that I use for everyday protection and tracking wounded animals. Has a night sight front dot and a shallow "V" blade rear with a white post. It's quick up close on moving things. Just sit the dot on top of the post and pull the trigger. The "V" makes it almost automatic. It also makes a great set up for things that go bump in the night with that big dot front night sight. I have found it's not the best thing for long range target work or distance hunting. However you can get a normal square notch rear blade or a blank rear blade that you can install on it. The blank rear blade allows you to cut your own deeper "V". The deeper "V" with the dot front works very well for me at long distances. The sight is called "Bowen Rough Country Sight" and they are set up for rough use, very rugged. I have had very good luck with them and with the interchangable rear blades you can have a good target sight or a quick up close sight on moving things.

I also have two blackhawk's with a rear peep sight blade on them. They have worked fairly well for target work and hunting. Only draw back I can see is they stick up a bit off the gun. I have hit them against just about everything from my tractors to the truck doors. I have yet to damage one but I always expect to find the blade has broken or fell out. There pretty good for targets and for hunting but I wouldn't recommend them for wearing every day around the farm working on equipment and such.

Skeeter!

ActionYobbo
November 23, 2008, 23:02
any one use a scope?

akjaeger
November 23, 2008, 23:31
I really like the "field" type sights on my S&W 329 for hunting. Red fiber optic dot front, V rear.
"Partridge" type sights work well for me if they are opened up some to increase the daylight around the front sight.

Artful
November 26, 2008, 23:27
Originally posted by ActionYobbo
any one use a scope?

I've a few like my T/C Contender's in 222 or target pistol Ruger Mk2,
Generally not as very top heavy - I have tried Red-Dots on a few
as they are lighter in weight and it works better.

Most have factory adj sights - or Micro sights on some auto's

ActionYobbo
November 26, 2008, 23:54
I was looking at using a 2-7 scope with cross hairs. I tried a red dot but I did not like it

MrWithasee
December 09, 2008, 21:54
i was tracking a wounded animal one night
when i cam upon her i decided to use my smith 686p instead of the shotgun
i discovered the problem with the front sight that i could not keep the flashligh on both the animal and the front sight at the same time
hence i decided that night sights on my revolver were in order

i am a bit confused on the difference between the pinned insert front sight and the red insert front sight that Meprolight describes.

i know its a big question, open for lots of chastising, but does anyone know which set of tritium front sights i need to order?