PDA

View Full Version : conversion of mg 42 to 308

Eskimo Joe
November 20, 2008, 15:11
What do I need to change my mg42 to shoot 308? I shoot a (forgive me) semi auto only but have a 308 barrel also. What about headspace? Anyone changing around.
Eskimo Joe

AliYahu
November 20, 2008, 15:33
I'd try to get in contact with the manufacturer of the semi-auto and see what they say. I think the booster is different or something, but I'm not sure.

Eli

Skilter
November 20, 2008, 15:58
there are top cover issues too... ontact the MFG.

moses
November 21, 2008, 00:11
We have a full auto MG 42 (CMP Armory class 2 manf.) but it's been so long since I have shot it I have to try and remember.
Ok I am pretty sure you need the top cover and feed tray/ramp, the bolt I am pretty sure is interchangable. On a semi I think it's ok to use the same flashider, if not it just won't quite cycle.
If you would have asked me 3 years ago when we built it I could have told you lickity split.
Head space is preset with the barrel and bolt, it is what it is, kinda like an AR 15.

Ron Walker
November 21, 2008, 13:00
What Moses said is correct. I know because I had the same idea. Ron

yarro
November 21, 2008, 22:40
You need to replace the top cover and feed tray with one from either the MG1 or MG3. The MG3 feedtray/top cover combined with an MG3 bolt reduces the risk of you damaging the top cover if you close it with the bolt in the wrong position. You may or may not have to replace the booster with an MG1 or MG3 booster. Some guns will run in .308 with the 8mm booster and the piece that goes inside it. Some will not. You also need the .308 barrel of course. Rear sight will still be calibrated for 8mm unless you replace it with an MG1 or MG3 one. You can use MG1/MG3 50rd segments or M60 links flipped upside down from how they go into the M60. MG42/MG53 segments seem to work fine too.

Other nice MG3 items is the MG3 belt carrier drum and the heavy bolt if you want to slow the cyclic down.

-Yarro

moses
November 23, 2008, 22:36
+1
Yeah what I said.

Rudolf
November 23, 2008, 23:58
All parts you can get from RTG.

Love mines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEbxUrR6DTM

Runs like a champ...

Having issues going back to the 8mm stuff.

The Yugo stuff works but has issues.....sometimes...

Original German is hit and miss.

Mines is a reweld with updated internals....