PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight .357

Elwarpo
November 17, 2008, 11:08
Looking for a NEW lightweight .357 (alloy) for the wife. The thing is any we have tried so far has not fit her hand, all the grips are way too small. I am looking for something small to medium size with L-Frame type grips. The thing is I do not want to spend $1000 on the S&W 636.

Anything else out there?

Qbdss
November 18, 2008, 02:15
How about one of the Taurus Revolvers?

November 18, 2008, 07:22
Ever shot a Taurus lightweight in .38 Special. Even in .38, it's a handful. I hope your wife has strong hands because a lightweight .357 is no fun to shoot.

vmtz
November 18, 2008, 09:23
I shot a buddy's S&W lightweight in .357. Truly nasty.

Fr. Vince

Elwarpo
November 18, 2008, 11:19
I plan on light hand loads for practice, and .357 for home defence. In an adrenaline situation you do not notice the recoil. I may also go .38+P+ but like the extra strength of a .357 especially since it is alloy.

yarro
November 19, 2008, 22:00
I fired 10 rounds out of a S&W Scandium .357. The 5 .38 specials were unpleasant. The 5 .357 rounds ended my shooting handguns for the day. It was worse that my friend's 2 1/2" N Frame .44. At some point, the gun gets too light to get in follow up shots fast enough and it is painful to shoot. Why does she need a light weight pistol for home use? If your wife can't end a shooting session with 3 or 4 cylinders of defense ammo then it is too light. Also, the point of impact changes a lot when you go from light target loads to heavy duty loads in light revolvers. My wife is a petite asian and her house gun is a full size .357 Sig Glock.

-Yarro

Elwarpo
November 19, 2008, 22:14
My wife is not the type of person to remember mag, slide, safety, fire in a stress situation, let alone clear a jam. I want something that can sit for months on end and all she has to do is point and shoot. Steel guns are heavy and the weight factor means she will not practice with it. If even 38s are unpleasant to shoot, then it is time to reconsider something else.

Thanks all, I may try to find a short barrel S&W Model 19, that may be lighter.

W.E.G.
November 19, 2008, 22:18
She won't practice with the alloy wheelgun, that's for sure.

Even burly men won't practice with those things.

Get her a .22 if you have any idea that practice is going to be involved.

Slugger
November 21, 2008, 00:03
The lightest I'll go is with my 640-1. It's not the most friendly but it's doable.
Slugger

LV Hospice RN
November 26, 2008, 00:18
recoil of a .357 in a lightweight revolver is nasty!!! AND the velocity is greatly reduced out of that short barrel, not to mention the muzzle blast will blind you, the bad guy, and anyone else within a 1/4 mile!!!

Consider a .38 special, you dont want the wife more scared of the gun than the crook she is confronted with...

just imho, ymmv
darrell
phoenix

Otis Treekiller
November 26, 2008, 00:37
If minimum size and weight is not a concern, you might consider a 2 1/2 inch Model 19 or 66. I carry my 66 in a strong side high ride holster, and it's quite comfortable, almost to the point of forgetting it's there. Plus it's very comfortable to shoot with .38+p's, and quite manageable with full power .357's.

Elwarpo
November 26, 2008, 18:10
I am looking for a Model 19, just the ones I have seen so far have been rode hard and put away wet.

Saw a lighter weight smith (shot it at the range) and with 38s was nice to shoot. I forget the number but it was aluminum with a stainless cylinder so it had a bit of weight. I plan on bringing her to the range to try it before buying.

seg
December 03, 2008, 06:24
What I did was start them out on a 22cal M-17, then once they got comfortable with the workings of the gun move them over to M-19. It still scared the crapp of them, but it worked.
I have a Tarus 605 357mag, changing the grip out to fit my hand did help. I still wouldn't call it pleasnt to shot, but it keeps it pointed down range. The 605 is a good gun and I don't get upset (as much) when it gets a scratch.
I have a couple lady freinds that bought the Windacator and Charter arms 357's, neither had the hand strength to pull the trigger more than 12-20 times. The weight kept the recoil down, but the trigger was so heavy they wont shoot them.
I love my 19's, wouldn't trade them for anything. Keep looking, someone will pop up with one. It is well worth the wait.

Black Elk
December 17, 2008, 03:34
S&W 640-3 with Crimson Trace laser grips, using Hornady's new Critical Defence loading using the new FTX bullets. CTC makes two sizes grips for the J frame smiths, the larger one is better for all but the smallest of hands. The small is better for a boot but I just can't get used to shooting .357's through it without a full hand on it.

Start her off with a few .357 loads, and then have her use, carry, practice with, the FTX .38 Specials. This is what my wife uses and she is very happy and deadly to two and four legged prediters. It is small and light enough to use in a purse, boot, pants pocket, etc.

I carry the same 640-3 as a backup to my .45 Super longslide, and as the primary when I can only carry one small size tool. I would not consider myself to be a 'big' person, (6' 250lbs) and I shoot hundreds of .357 from the above revolver every month. The recoil is not really an issue, but then I also shoot my .45 Super even more as well as a few hundred full house .454 Casull.

Elwarpo
December 17, 2008, 09:49
I found a 4" model 19 that while a bit heavy for her tames the recoil quite a bit. I have had her using 38+p in it and she is shooting it without complaining. She shot a model 640 and it was unpleasant enough that she is excepting a heavier gun.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is much appreciated.

Black Elk
December 17, 2008, 10:56
Hey the main thing is that she is shooting right - :cool:

chet
December 17, 2008, 15:35
As far as a house gun, you cannot go wrong with the 4" Smith Model 19. It is a great, great tool. Ditto for the stainless version as blueing is only a preference for me. Better sight radius, better recoil characteristics, better grip for 95 % of folks than a J frame, etc ad nauseum.

Were it me, I would eschew the .357's for practice all together, invest in some wadcutters or LRN 158 grain wal-mart .38's and a couple speed loaders and start a few drills with the wife.

Second, if this is her 'home alone' gun, I would keep a box of defensive ammo next to gun and pre-prepped speed loaders, possibly a spare belt and holster and a decent flashlight, like a Surefire G2. If you keep it all in one spot, she'll use that stuff. If not, it's wasted money.

Chet

motosapien
December 21, 2008, 09:08
Try a Ruger SP101 in 3". They make a "spurless" model that is better for concealment. These are comfortable with full bore .357 loads, pehaps because of the excellent grip design. Small enough to slide comfortable into the back pocket of her jeans.

The action is easy to slick up too.