PDA

View Full Version : 16.25" Garand: "Mini-G"

ByronF
November 16, 2008, 09:10
Check this out:

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_d7429/MiniG_023.jpg

Here's the guy's website:

Shuffs Parkerizing (http://shuffsparkerizing.com/Home_Page.php)

Price for conversion is $525, which includes parkerizing, special gas plug, and shipping. He takes your barrel on trade if it meets his criteria. He'll also mod your barrel for extra $25, presumably because he'd have to set up to do the millwork on your barrel vs using ones he has ready to go.

I'm sure the blast would be terrific. I'm thinking 7.62, scout-mount rear handguard, and vortex type flash hider. Maybe even one of those folder stocks? Probably not interested in the folder because I happen to think a Garand deserves a good cheek weld.

http://www.reesesurplus.com/images/BM59-folder.gif

AliYahu
November 16, 2008, 14:43
Looks interesting. I think one of my next projects is going to be a DCM Garand with a short BM-59 front end using all GI (US and Italian) parts.

Eli

ByronF
November 16, 2008, 19:37
Are BM59 front end components available somewhere? Magazine conversions? I never heard of BM59 parts being available, though I've seen Garands converted to accept M14 mags.

M14 mag conversions seem like a hassle given that I already have an M1A Scout. I don't know. I go round and round with this kind of thing. Already have the Scout so why do I insist on wanting a shorty Garand? Maybe I need to fall more deeply in love with my M1A instead of running off to the arms of a new rifle.

AliYahu
November 16, 2008, 22:34
Reese Surplus (http://www.reesesurplus.com/) a/k/a SAI founders. They had complete rifles a couple of years ago. Sarco had BM59E/BM59SL kits, these are near-full-length Garands modified to take BM59 magazines. CMP Armory has converted Garands into BM59s.
I want something like this:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/BM58-800.jpg
Except with a Garand gas block so no grenade cut-off or need for a muzzle device.

Eli

W.E.G.
November 16, 2008, 23:01
A DPMS LR-308 with a 16" barrel will cost less, and probably shoot circles around
that (ahem) "converted" Garand.

What a shame.

If you have no shame, and you have money to blow, I guess.

...or maybe in one of those states that doesn't allow detachable mags. :|

AliYahu
November 17, 2008, 00:30
Originally posted by W.E.G.
A DPMS LR-308 with a 16" barrel will cost less, and probably shoot circles around
that (ahem) "converted" Garand.

What a shame.

If you have no shame, and you have money to blow, I guess.

...or maybe in one of those states that doesn't allow detachable mags. :|
.308 ARs are flat-out boring, and a good FAL can be had for less than a reworked Garand.
Why is it shameful to modify an obsolete rifle that was cranked out by the millions??? Hell CMP sells complete guns for less than StG parts kits sell for, they aren't that valuable!

Eli

lmccrock
November 17, 2008, 10:43
Gotta go with W.E.G. here. Sell the M1, save the $525 and buy a LR308 ...or another M1a since this is the "M1/M14 Files". I think the tragedy here is not the barrel but the op rod. Replacement barrels are easy to get, not so with M1 op rods.
Maybe I need to fall more deeply in love with my M1A instead of running off to the arms of a new rifle.Good plan. :cool:

.308 ARs are flat-out boringHow so? In their flexibility or reliability or accuracy?

a good FAL can be had for less than a reworked Garand.The reworked M1 posted here is the same or less than a DSA STG58, based on CMP prices for a base M1, so I am not sure what this means.

For the record I own at least one each of FAL, M1 (original 30-06), DPMS LR308. When in doubt, buy them all. :D

Lee

AliYahu
November 17, 2008, 17:30
Originally posted by lmccrock
Gotta go with W.E.G. here. Sell the M1, save the $525 and buy a LR308 ...or another M1a since this is the "M1/M14 Files". I think the tragedy here is not the barrel but the op rod. Replacement barrels are easy to get, not so with M1 op rods.
Good plan. :cool:
The rifle I posted uses a factory Beretta BM59 op rod:D

Eli

Ssarge
November 17, 2008, 17:57
Originally posted by AliYahu

.308 ARs are flat-out boring, and a good FAL can be had for less than a reworked Garand.
Why is it shameful to modify an obsolete rifle that was cranked out by the millions??? Hell CMP sells complete guns for less than StG parts kits sell for, they aren't that valuable!

Eli

Tell "boring" to my two Navy Mk 2 Mod 1s and two Beretta Garands! If you get the right .308 Garands, they can be quite rare and factory built. (also I got mine for well below market) :shades:

ByronF
November 18, 2008, 20:29
Well, I have an M1, an M1D, Dad has his M1. I have an M1 kit with a ragged out bore (I'll wager W.E.G. remembers the AIM $100 Garand kits, probably bought ten too). Pop has a Garand receiver. Gotta do something. I rubbed on the M1A a bit last night. I think it can satisfy my lust for a short Garand-ish rifle. Maybe I'll twist together a regular old Garand for my boy, who will be born in April, and who might be a girl.