PDA

View Full Version : Loading options

ackks
November 14, 2008, 01:45
I'm new to bolt actions and noticed they all have different ways to load them...external mag, hinged floorplate, top loading. Is the top loading the easiest to reload quickly? Not that I think I'll ever be in a situation where I would have to, but I just want the option.

If I could buy a few external mags the answer would be obvious, but I can't see taking the mag out, loading it, and putting it back in being the best option. The hinged floorplate just looks annoying to open let alone load.

I would love to hear people's thoughs who've actually used them.

shlomo
November 14, 2008, 07:26
Most hinged floorplates are intended to allow unloading of the magazine without cycling the rounds thru the action.

If the rifle is cut for stripper clips, that is as fast a way to recharge a bolt gun as any, unless a scope is mounted. With a scope, you are pretty much left with single loading the magazine from the top, or the option of organizing a rifle with a detachable magazine.

Unless, of course your have a Scout configuration that is also cut for strippers. Best of both worlds. :biggrin:

MAINER
November 14, 2008, 09:48
I have several Bolt guns in the old style or top loading, detachable floorplate (98 Mauser) and hinged FP (Win M70, Rem 700).

Recently acquired a Bolt gun with a detachable box mag. Still getting used to the thing. With extra mags I'd say it was a good system if you're involved with some kind of "tactical" shooting event. For a general purpose hunting or target shooting I prefer the old methods.

The DBM is hard to single load (bench shooting) and can't be "topped off". Reloaded rounds can't exceed 2.800" in .308. The DBM would be good for hunting with a vehicle where you need to load and unload often. Game laws here don't allow loaded firearms in a vehicle.

If you get a FN PBR with the hinged floorplate and decide you want a DBM instead, I'll trade. :D

skeeterbay
November 14, 2008, 19:52
I guess it's all in what you like. I like hinged floor plates and detach mag's for unloading before I get in the truck. I don't have to cycle the rounds thru the rifle. Either one works just as well as the other. If I had to choose between the two and needed fast reloads then I would go with a detach mag rifle. I would also buy a couple of extras. One thing about external mag's. They can get damaged or lost. Ask me how I know!

If I was just concerned with relaoding fast. I would want a rifle with a stripper clip guide. Maybe it's just because I am used to them. But I can jump out of the truck and charge an old Mauser a lot quicker than I can find the mag well and insert a fresh mag. As someone already mentioned keep in mind scope mounting.

Skeeter!