PDA

View Full Version : I want a good sniper rifle!

Jez Cruzen
November 02, 2008, 17:16
Notice I didn't say "excellant sniper rifle". I don't have the funds for one of the "wiz bang" wonder rifles.

It must be in .308, have bedding blocks or (better yet) the receiver bedded. The barrel must be "free floated".

I've looked favorately at the Remy 700P ($875?). I also am looking at the Savage 10 for under $700.

Remington has introduced a SPS "tactical" rifle, but the barrel isn't exactly free floating in the less-than-ridged Hogue stock.

They also make a fluted barrel version that I haven't found a price on yet.

Any recomendations or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

spatin
November 03, 2008, 00:00
I have a Savage Mod 110 (synthetic stock) and I like the way it shoots. Very nice accuracy with the right ammo. I love the accu-trigger. This one is in 30-06. Good enough for elk anyway. I think I'm going to get another Savage for .308 and mount a nice scope on it for targets and zombies.
Sidney

dfletcher
November 03, 2008, 00:07
I have one of these among other 308s. Shoots very well, adjustable trigger that can be used as single set. Free floated barrel, HS Precision Kevlar stock you should be able to get one for about $750.00 or so.
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=49

TXscout
November 03, 2008, 00:09
Get a Remington 700 LTR in .308, and throw a Leupold MKIV, Illuminated Mil-Dot, 4.5-15x50 on it--You'll be good to go.

If you want to customize the rifle later, there are many add-on components for the Rem 700 action.

You could also check if CDNN has any of the 20" FN PBR barreled actions left for $439, and put a $450 Manners Stock on one--Would be a very nice setup.

YMMV--Cheers :beer:

Jez Cruzen
November 03, 2008, 08:07
The CZ Varmint is truly a beautiful rifle. I also like the HS fiberglass stocks!

The Remy 700 LTR (fluted barrell) is what I am most interested, currently.

I'll ride over to my local gun shop today and see what's in stock.

Thanks

indy_Muaddib
November 03, 2008, 10:19
go take a look at http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237665

youll find a good one.

skwang
November 03, 2008, 21:12
I have the savage 10. Shoots under an inch.

The factory stock on the thing is about useless so I put a bell and carlson on it and now it is good to go. I took it Caribou hunting this fall and it performed admirably in the field.

2barearms
November 03, 2008, 22:37
As I've matured in the gun "hobby" I find it hard to spend my hard
earned money on things that are less than. This is one of those areas
where it's hard for me to justify not buying all the rifle you can possibly
afford. I bought an SPR A1 a short while back before the prices went up
and truly it's an impressive weapon right out of the box. Yeah, you'll have
to pony up some more money but nothing like a GA Precision or HS Precision.
You'll never need another one. This doesn't mean that the Savage and Remy
aren't nice rifles either. I did get in on the CDNN special and got the 24"
barrel and a stock from Splatt, I was around an inch with 155gr Soft nose
Federal Pow'r Shock.

superjc
November 03, 2008, 23:50
Originally posted by TXscout
Get a Remington 700 LTR in .308, and throw a Leupold MKIV, Illuminated Mil-Dot, 4.5-15x50 on it--You'll be good to go.

If you want to customize the rifle later, there are many add-on components for the Rem 700 action.

You could also check if CDNN has any of the 20" FN PBR barreled actions left for $439, and put a $450 Manners Stock on one--Would be a very nice setup.

YMMV--Cheers :beer:

I have a Remington 700 LTR .308 with a Luepold Mk III... 100 yards, one hole with ancient SA surplus..... I'm a believer!!

Heat
November 04, 2008, 00:24
700's are hard to beat cause of the aftermarket gear..I opted for the less expensive Savage 10 in 308..20" barrel, semi heavy, big bolt..did the Bell&Carlson stock and a Burris Black Diamond scope and was printing well under an inch at 100 yds with handloads, both 110g varminter HP and 168g Match ammo
I added open sights because I am wierd that way

http://i33.tinypic.com/15558ns.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/11b3t54.jpg

http://www.savagearms.com/10fp.htm

astroman2057
November 04, 2008, 03:19
I opted for a Savage 10FP LE after looking at FN SPR and PSR at my local fun shop. Owner knew I was looking for an entry level tac rifle and he located this one for me w/Nikon 4.5X14 and Harris bipod, and pillared free floating Bell & Carlson stock for $850.00. Low milage and I've worked with it since I got it in August. Accu-trigger is fine after you get used to it and adjust accordingly. These rifle has improved my handloading and shooting and will be some time before I tire of it and move up into more advanced rifle systems. I have shot at 100 yds 5 shot groups of .45, 8 shot group of .63, and the best was at 200 an 8 shot group of .92. If I show up and focus each and every trigger pull, each and every range day, this rifle doesn't disappoint. But until that happens, then it will be awhile until I think again about an out of the box guaranteed 1/4" Moa gun. Not much fun to pay $2000 to $3000 for rifle and optics and get frustrated, because as a shooter, you haven't honed or mastered the required basic skills of successful riflery.
You don't buy a mansion for a 1st house, a Ferrari for a 1st car, or an AI for a 1st tac rifle.
Whatever money you save in rifle costs, dump into optics.

Jez Cruzen
November 04, 2008, 10:37
Do any of ya'll remember the Weatherby 'Vanguard' when it could be had with a McMillian fiberglass stock years ago? I have one in .270win with a Leupold Vari-x 3X9, Leupold bases, and Leupold "take-off" rings. It only weighs about six pounds, and from the bench shoots sub-MOA. (Barrel heats up fast!) I'll killed a lot of deer with it over the years.

I just thought I'd mention the rifle - doesn't really have anything to do with this "sniper" subject. :biggrin:

Anyway..went to the dealer's yesterday. He didn't have anything I was interested in. Good thing, too! His prices were more than slightly outragous. I think I wait until the next gun show. I would just order something from a wholesaler, but I really want to hold it first, ya know?

Thanks, guys, for all your replies.

W.E.G.
November 04, 2008, 10:45
DPMS LR-308

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/targets/2008-08-18%20-%20DPMS/M852smaller.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/DPMS/DPMSAR15comparison.jpg

MAINER
November 04, 2008, 10:51
WEG;

You found the cause of that horizontal stringing problem yet? :biggrin:

Heat
November 04, 2008, 13:17
Originally posted by astroman2057
I opted for a Savage 10FP LE after looking at FN SPR and PSR at my local fun shop. Owner knew I was looking for an entry level tac rifle and he located this one for me w/Nikon 4.5X14 and Harris bipod, and pillared free floating Bell & Carlson stock for $850.00. Low milage and I've worked with it since I got it in August. Accu-trigger is fine after you get used to it and adjust accordingly. These rifle has improved my handloading and shooting and will be some time before I tire of it and move up into more advanced rifle systems. I have shot at 100 yds 5 shot groups of .45, 8 shot group of .63, and the best was at 200 an 8 shot group of .92. If I show up and focus each and every trigger pull, each and every range day, this rifle doesn't disappoint. But until that happens, then it will be awhile until I think again about an out of the box guaranteed 1/4" Moa gun. Not much fun to pay $2000 to $3000 for rifle and optics and get frustrated, because as a shooter, you haven't honed or mastered the required basic skills of successful riflery.
You don't buy a mansion for a 1st house, a Ferrari for a 1st car, or an AI for a 1st tac rifle.
Whatever money you save in rifle costs, dump into optics.
For all tactical/practical purposes 'consistant' 1/4 MOA is not needed or obtained by most shooters/rifles..to get that type of accuracy from a rifle you have to REALLY put out the cash and then most likely you could have done the same thing for a lot less with a lot less..the benchmark for yrs has been anything around 1"MOA ..anything below that is added icing..even military marksman dont expect 1/4" MOA..those rifles arent tuned for that--any man/animal sized target will not require that much precision..your better going for a standard rifle and really good glass then honing the skill necessary to consistantly shoot MOA under all conditions--IMHO

bykerhd
November 04, 2008, 13:52
I just picked up a very slightly used Remington 700 stainless with the 24" 5-R Milspec barrel this afternoon.
They are supposed to be decent ? I guess ?
I need to line up a scope and rings for it.
Probably right after I lay the news on the wife about our latest "investment".:rolleyes:

TXscout
November 04, 2008, 22:51
Originally posted by bykerhd
I just picked up a very slightly used Remington 700 stainless with the 24" 5-R Milspec barrel this afternoon.
They are supposed to be decent ? I guess ?
I need to line up a scope and rings for it.
Probably right after I lay the news on the wife about our latest "investment".:rolleyes:

You did good bykerhd--The 5R/Milspecs are shooters out of the box. You're wife ought to be very excited about the new purchase :cheers:

bykerhd
November 05, 2008, 08:37
Well, the wife wasn't exactly doing cartwheels when I "fessed" up this morning.
I still haven't got around to mentioning how much I paid.:eek:
Plus, I still need to scrounge up a scope & mounts.
I'm thinking maybe a Nikon.
No clue yet on which one or which mounts.
I want some mounts that are decent and rugged.

Jez Cruzen
November 05, 2008, 12:31
Originally posted by Heat

For all tactical/practical purposes 'consistant' 1/4 MOA is not needed or obtained by most shooters/rifles..to get that type of accuracy from a rifle you have to REALLY put out the cash and then most likely you could have done the same thing for a lot less with a lot less..the benchmark for yrs has been anything around 1"MOA ..anything below that is added icing..even military marksman dont expect 1/4" MOA..those rifles arent tuned for that--any man/animal sized target will not require that much precision..your better going for a standard rifle and really good glass then honing the skill necessary to consistantly shoot MOA under all conditions--IMHO

Makes a lot of sense, Heat.

JoeLad
November 13, 2008, 20:23
I picked up a Savage 10FP in .308 today. I haven't shot it yet, need new rings for my old Leupold Vari X II.

seg
November 17, 2008, 05:17
I got a CZ550 Varmit w/Lam Stock. I put a Pentex 6x24 on top and really like it. The set tigger is a nice touch, but the ergonomic are off a little from the the palm to the trigger. So you need REALY BIG Hands for it to fit proper.
@ 200 yds off a rickety bench I'm shooting 2" with factory ammo.

Manedwolf
November 17, 2008, 10:18
I have a K-31 with a Nikon scope on it.

That's an amazing rifle with match ammo like Norma. Pretty much like "minute of oh my god I think I hit the same hole"

mtang45
November 26, 2008, 17:25
Just another vote for Savage. Not my rifle (but I want one), it belongs to a friend, a Savage 12 FTR in .308. They cost roughly a grand perhaps $900 if you really shop around.

I have witnessed 4 consecutive shots @ 100 yds through the exact same hole, the fifth shot pulled about a quarter inch left (he got nervous since the first four were so good). I have also witnessed several well under 2 inch groups at 440 yards. Of course he has a Nightforce benchrest scope on it that certainly helps, but a stock Savage 12 FTR straight out of the box shooting that good is simply amazing.

bykerhd
November 26, 2008, 17:36
Here is that Remington 700. 24" 5-R barrel and a Nikon 6-18x Buckmaster on top.
I wasn't able to get it all together before the local range closed or the deer season. Maybe next week I can see how it shoots.

Vorpal_weapon
November 26, 2008, 22:30
I'd go for a Remington 700P (or 5R milspec) - you won't be sorry. The factory tubes are generally a little long in the throat, but are good for sub-minute accuracy with factory match ammo (if you want to handload, you can do a bit better). They really are the "best buy" in the entry level "sniper rifle" market.

S/A Remingtons are where the market is for custom accessories if you want to upgrade the rifle later. The abundance of high-quality aftermarket options for Remingtons is significant - like you might later want an AICS (which offers one of the few reliable DM options) or a McMillan stock or a Rock 5R barrel. Which ever way your interest leads in the future, the Remington action won't hold you back.

just my 2 cents, but I've been very happy with every 700P I've owned.

brunop
November 26, 2008, 23:40
It would be great if you didn't buy a Remington 700P with an HS Precision stock. HS Precision is using Lon Horiuchi (murdered Vicki Weaver at Ruby Ridge...) to help sell their wares.

Makes me want to puke, and is an affront to all right-thinking people. Please, please don't support this company in any way. Especially with your money.

There are better rifles than the 700P. I own one, and it is a good rifle, but I'd be just as happy or happier that I bought the FN SPR or PBR. Remington Rep told me at SHOT this year that they have $11 in their barrels...

Peace.

Jez Cruzen
December 18, 2008, 11:19
Well, guys...I bought a Remington SPS Tactical with the 20" barrel chambered in .308. The closest dealer with one in stock was 112 miles away, and he only had that one.

I installed a Millet one-piece picatinny base on it, and mounted a Super Sniper 10X scope.

Shooting from a rickety platform (my deck railing), I got it on paper at 25 meters with only a little adjustment. I'll step it out to 100 yds once this crappy weather we've had for too long finally moves out.

bykerhd
December 18, 2008, 12:02
I don't know what you are shooting Jez Cruzen.
My 700 seems to really like those Black Hills 168 grain loads.
I'm hoping to get back to the range again soon to try shooting out to 200 yards. All the distance that particular range has available, unfortunately.

L Haney
December 18, 2008, 17:34
When I was a kid (and a little older than that) I used to use power line right of ways for long range practice. A lot of counties have land owners listed on line, referenced to land lots displayed on a map. Check with the land owners, a face to face will sometimes yield surprising results. Ranges from 300 to 1500 yards are easy to identify in less than urban areas. I've never had a problem with the power company people, a lot of them are just like us! Hell, some of them are us.

Lowell

billyreed1
January 27, 2009, 21:03
IF WHAT I HAVE WORKS I'LL STICK WITH IT..IF NOT I WILL GET THE HIGHER QUALITY MK4(LEUPOLD) , A.R.M.S. OR BADGER POSSIBLE .. HAS ANYONE USED A SIMILAR SETUP? AND CAN I EXPECT THE BEST? ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS? GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS JEZ!

moses
January 28, 2009, 00:35
I have a Savage 110 FP, I think that's what it's called?
It's the HB police version (sniper) I paid about $400 at Wally world a couple years ago. With handloads it shoots 3/4 MOA and that's with the orignal stock and $20 Chinese rings. Not sure why people dog the stocks that come with it? I have a Super Sniper 20x on it and I think if I shot it in a vice it would shoot even better as I can tell I am a little shakey off a sand bag and no rear rest.
It didn't shoot Port milsurp very good about 2 MOA but it did like
FN Milsurp 1 MOA and Aussie 83 (1 1/4 MOA) but not 87 or 88 headstamp (3 MOA.) It loves the Seiarra MK's 168 gr and 44 grs of Varget 3/4 MOA as previously stated.
The Savages have floating locking lugs on the bolt that true every round and the way the barrel is installed headspace is set at it's tightest very easily at the factory. These two things are the reason they are so accurate.

Best buy around for a super accurate bolt gun.

Vet_with_fal
January 28, 2009, 04:34
I have a FN Patrol bolt with medium fluted barrel, has put three bullets in the same hole at 200yds, 168gr hornady tap. works for me.

FIANNAFAL
January 28, 2009, 19:18
Moses, I have just recently bought a savage110Fp in 300WM. Stock felt flimsy. Gman said try out StockyStocks and was right! The Bell and Carlson Carbolite is way better than the OEM. Dropped right in. Got the Tan with black spider webbing.

Now next Hill Billy that ask if it a Sniper Rifle will get asked if his Tatical cammo shotgun is a Swat issue.:cry:

Last thing NightForce scopes are worth every cent.

Heat
January 28, 2009, 19:33
Originally posted by billyreed1
I GOT THE SAME-700 SPS 20" TACTICAL. I PUT THE CHEAPER LEUPOLD BASE AND RINGS(NEW OLD STOCK $15FOR BOTH) WITH A BURRIS FULLFIELD II, 2-7X35MM($150) AT LAST WEEKENDS FUNSHOW . HAVE NOT BEEN TO THE RANGE YET. DUE TO MONEY BEING SHORT AND GETTING SHORTER , I HAD TO FOREGO THE MK4 LEUPOLD RINGS AND BASE(ABOUT $240),AND THE BURRIS SIGNATURE SELECT 3-10X40MM($ABOUT $480).IF WHAT I HAVE WORKS I'LL STICK WITH IT..IF NOT I WILL GET THE HIGHER QUALITY MK4 AND SCOPE MENTIONED. A.R.M.S. AND BADGER POSSIBLE .. HAS ANYONE USED A SIMILAR SETUP? AND CAN I EXPECT THE BEST? ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS? GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS JEZ!

Im looking at that rifle as well..can the Hogue rubber stock be painted up like a normal synthetic..say to camo it yourself..or will the rubber reject paint..Im thinkin' krylon paint or something like it like the military snipers often do..?

JeepsAndGuns
January 28, 2009, 19:37
Look just a few posts down for my project "one savage sweede". I really love the stock on it!

billyreed1
January 31, 2009, 11:17
HEAT-I am not sure about painting the stock, so I called the local gunshop and they tell me you need the correct paint so you may HAVE TO CALL A PAINT MANUFACTURER .AND YOU CAN ALWAYS GOOGLE IT or a gunsmith service ...BILLY.

Heat
January 31, 2009, 14:17
Originally posted by billyreed1
HEAT-I am not sure about painting the stock, so I called the local gunshop and they tell me you need the correct paint so you may HAVE TO CALL A PAINT MANUFACTURER .AND YOU CAN ALWAYS GOOGLE IT or a gunsmith service ...BILLY.
Thanks Billy..I figure that I'll just buy a plain jane Bell&Carlson and paint that and save the hogue for backup..or sell

skwang
February 02, 2009, 10:36
Originally posted by moses
I Not sure why people dog the stocks that come with it?

Best buy around for a super accurate bolt gun.

Try using your sling for offhand support. The stock is about as stiff as a wet noodle and that nice free float barrel isn't any more. If all you do is shoot the thing off a bipod it's a fine stock otherwise it leaves a little to be desire.

moses
February 02, 2009, 17:26
Ahh.............. see I have only shot it from the bipod.
I usually shoot from a hasty sling when I use a sling and not nearly as much pressure as using the tourniquet sling

FIANNAFAL
February 02, 2009, 20:03
I have grown bored shooting open sights at 200 and 300 yards with a sling. Bipod shooting is a new discpline. Wind at 300+ yards is more important factor now. Good glass and good gun thats all ready shooting sub MOA at 100 yards.
Just did get it mounted and started the break in yesterday. Fun Stuff but Newbies kept shooting my target with 223 and finally hit my target holder (PVC) and busted it down where I could not shot. Wall to wall shooters and more Wemmenzs than ever on a firing line.

moses
February 02, 2009, 23:46
I hardly ever shoot my Savage too......... It takes all the fun out of it when you hit everything you aim at and it takes basically no effort to shoot 2" groups at 300 yds.
On the other had it is great knowing you have a rifle capable of such accurate shooting.

MalcS
February 06, 2009, 17:45
Just a heads up for anyone that's interested...

Sniper Central do some semi custom entry level 'sniper' rifles for around $1000 w/o optics.

If nothing else this might give some ideas.

Sniper Central Package (http://www.snipercentral.com/entrypackage.htm)

http://www.snipercentral.com/images/products/entrypack1.jpg

Clark
February 09, 2009, 14:24
To get a big bullet way out there accurately, you need a sniper rifle like you need a bass boat to catch a bass.

What is holding back accuracy is not money, but weight.

Find a $3,000 sniper rifle that weighs 10 pounds.
I can build, for $300 in parts, a rifle that shoots demonstratively better at 20 pounds.

I have built, for $250 in parts + sights, a rifle in 6mmBR that has averaged 0.2moa in it's two trips to the range.
The catch is, it is heavy.

But the people that take your money for a sniper rifle are not going to explain it to you that way.

motosapien
February 10, 2009, 23:35
My Remington bolt guns have shot incredible groups. A .243 ADL put three into less than a 1/2' at 200 yds. Just broke the bbl. in, free floated it & worked on the trigger.

Rifle accuracy is mostly the shooter. I like to put it this way: When you are making the shot, it's almost all visual. Pulling the trigger should seem like something happening in another room. If you don't have a "picture" of the target when the shot broke in your mind, you will never be much of a marksman.

I've been wanting one of those 20" Remington's in .308. Have the scope just waiting. But in reality, I can hit way out there with my scout rifle or my .243.
Maybe i'll take my wife down the Baja instead............

Heat
February 19, 2009, 02:11
Originally posted by Clark
To get a big bullet way out there accurately, you need a sniper rifle like you need a bass boat to catch a bass.

What is holding back accuracy is not money, but weight.

Find a $3,000 sniper rifle that weighs 10 pounds.
I can build, for $300 in parts, a rifle that shoots demonstratively better at 20 pounds.

I have built, for $250 in parts + sights, a rifle in 6mmBR that has averaged 0.2moa in it's two trips to the range.
The catch is, it is heavy.

But the people that take your money for a sniper rifle are not going to explain it to you that way.

I agree, the weight makes a big dif..I had a post 64 Winchester that was originally chambered in 225 winchester..big bull type barrel..I had a gunsmith switch the barrel for a 8 gauge Douglas in 308..that tank weighed WELL over 10 pds...and off a rest it was very stable and extremely accurate..I have liked bull barrels and heavy taper barrels ever since..they just ooze 'accurate'--'course good glass, good trigger and good shooter helps too:wink: