PDA

View Full Version : M1A info from SN?

Hot Diggity
November 01, 2008, 23:32
Walked into work today and spotted a couple well worn M14 mags sitting on the counter. Turns out they belong to an equally well worn M1A that somebody brought in. It's got a beautiful bore, a glass bedded M14 stock (w/selector cutouts), black handguard, and NM sights. Looks like it came right out of a USMC IW shop. I'll get to look at it more tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anybody can tell me how old it might be from the serial number? 013xxx

I researched the OM markings on the mags, and they're Winchester manufacture. The sling has a NSN on it, and the whole package is a fascinating mystery.

Any help will be appreciated.

HD

shortround
November 02, 2008, 00:15
Looks like around the second quarter of 1980.

Try here:

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=6748

ThePitbullofLove
November 02, 2008, 02:47
Mine's 013308, and it dates to leaving Springfield in May of 1980.

Hope that helps.

Hot Diggity
November 02, 2008, 10:42
Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. The rifles age helps explain its' well worn apearance. I think I can find it a good home.

HD

Ssarge
November 02, 2008, 15:42
You can e-mail SAI with the SN and they'll tell you what mod (or as a stripped receiver) it shipped as and the date.

Hot Diggity
November 02, 2008, 19:25
Thanks Ssarge.

I think on this one I'd be real interested in what Springfield Armory has to say about the rifle, and what changes may have been made over the years. I've still got a thing for FAL's, and lots of other foreign firearms, but this old beater M1A will fill a niche of US arms without the requirement to reload another caliber.

HD

ThePitbullofLove
November 02, 2008, 19:56
Originally posted by Ssarge
You can e-mail SAI with the SN and they'll tell you what mod (or as a stripped receiver) it shipped as and the date.

+1

Mine left Springfield as a stripped receiver. It was build with an SAK '76 dated NM barrel, a NM Walnut stock, NM sights, NM flashider, NM op-rod, and TRW parts.

http://images42.fotki.com/v1314/photos/2/28682/2298557/IMG_3607-vi.jpg