PDA

View Full Version : Great Luck with a CMP Garand

goodbread
October 31, 2008, 19:25
Just thought I'd post an upbeat and true story on the eve of what may be an awful election.

I bought a CMP Garand in Sept and can confirm that I got a great one. It is an HRA "Correct" grade piece in the 557xxxx range and I took it to an expert restorer of antique weapons (WWII and older only). He stripped it pretty far down and evaluated it as near new. All parts were the originals and barely used. It measured 0 TE and 0 ME and the gas piston also measured "new" at .526". He thought it looked like it had been put into service in the mid to late 1950s for a couple of years, saw no combat, was never overseas and then put into storage when the M14 was deployed. Kept in storage since then, the metal parts are immaculate. The wood has several dings and dents which handily disguise the newness inside. I paid $25 extra for the HRA over SA and for a grand total of $998, it is in beautiful condition. I cleaned the wood and re-oiled it with real tung oil.

I've shot it twice at my club's Running Deer shoot (a mechanized moving target event) and did much better than either scoped rifle I had previously used. I even won a few bucks and a trophy with this marvelous rifle! Thank you, John C. Garand.

If anyone out there is sitting on the fence, the CMP is a great source, especially for the correct grade, IMHO. Don't wait, join whatever clubs you need to and get qualified. Their mil/surp ammo is dirt cheap and I haven't had a bad round in 6 boxes.

jbgw
November 01, 2008, 12:24
Welcome to the wonderful world of the CMP.
I am a rifle or so up on you and like you have been very pleased with the condition of the rifles and the surplus ammo.

kmurphy
November 01, 2008, 20:34
I had good luck with rifles/ammo from CMP

Billwil
November 03, 2008, 18:36
Nice!

Orlando8
November 03, 2008, 19:51
Sounds like the normal Correct Grade, they are a great deal

Heat
November 07, 2008, 20:02
Originally posted by Orlando8
Sounds like the normal Correct Grade, they are a great deal
Im getting ready to order another, and some ammo..great deal..remember, Lautenberg and Kennedy tried to shut this program down..Im certain they'll suceed this time around..buy now!

Chief351
November 08, 2008, 18:42
Even if the liberals don't shut the program down, I wonder how long it will be around anyway. They've got to be getting to the bottom of the barrel on those Garands pretty soon now, anyway.

Three years ago I bought a field grade SA made in May '44 and re-barreled in May '46 (bet there were lot's of rounds down that tube between those dates). That rifle was in great shape, and is very accurate.

This spring I bought a mid-contract HRA service grade. This one isn't half the rifle that the SA was. Open the trigger guard and the stock just about falls off, the elevation knob was broken, and when I took the gas cylinder lock off I could tip the barrel down and the gas cylinder would slide off the splines!

I think this rifle spent some time in Greece, where it must have been used to teach new recruits how to field strip and clean a Garand, and put it back together.

The Garand is the last surplus service rifle that they can sell to civilians - everything from then on has been a machine gun.

Unless they can work out a deal with one of the manufacturers to sell AR-15's at some sort "program" rate or something, or maybe corner the market on mil-surp uppers, I don't see them staying in business forever selling BB guns.