PDA

View Full Version : So, what do I have?

ER
October 29, 2008, 23:37
I bought a M1A a couple of years ago to maybe get back into HP shooting that I left in the mid 90`s. I bought the rifle at a steal regardless of what it is, but I`m woondering about the story....(I buy rifles, not stories, but I do try to check them out)

Rifle is a SA M1A, Sn 135XXX range, neutered FH. It has a heavy, 1.063" under the HG`s, barrel. It is unmarked. There`s a full length guide rod like all NMs I`ve seen, and it has NM sights. The windage knob on the sight doesn`t have the detent "bumps" like a Garand rear sight, but has a detent ball in a hole drilled into the receiver that engages into the knob. The stock is a M14 heavy walnut that has been bedded with something like JB Weld and has had the selector slot filled in with the same material.

Story is it was built at Benning, steel bedded, and is a Douglas HB.]]

It is beautiful, and drives nails at 200yds.

Q.......is this a SA match gun on a heavy stock, and how can I tell if it`s really a Douglas bbl? The finish on the entire rifle looks factory SA.

Seaweed
October 30, 2008, 12:31
Chances are very good that it is a Douglas barrel, finished and marketed by Barnett. Is it 4 or 6 land and grooves?

ER
October 30, 2008, 12:44
6 groove bbl. The finish matches the rest of the rifle perfectly, and there are no markings on it.

what`s the deal with the windage knob being ball detent instead of "lugged" like a standard GI M1/M14 knob? It`s a BME marked knob like late GI`s are.

Steggo
October 30, 2008, 12:58
Originally posted by ER

what`s the deal with the windage knob being ball detent instead of "lugged" like a standard GI M1/M14 knob? It`s a BME marked knob like late GI`s are.

The "ball clicker" is a way to convert standard GI sights with 1MOA windage clicks to 1/2 MOA clicks instead of replacing them with a rare and expensive set of NM sights. Common coversion among M1/M14 gunsmiths.

DK
October 30, 2008, 17:31
"It is beautiful, and drives nails at 200yds."

What do you have? A beautiful tack-driver :biggrin:

I had a nice M1A once upon a time with a bbl of the same description. The seller told me it was a Douglas, and the M1A brain trust told me the same thing.

DK

ER
October 30, 2008, 18:16
What do you have? A beautiful tack-driver

A long hammer :biggrin: