PDA

View Full Version : First-Time SBR Build, Any Suggestions?

william013
October 23, 2008, 22:02
I have decided to build a M-4 lookalike. I have requested the Form 1 from the BATFE. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the paperwork done right the first time???

Also, I live in Houston (Harris County) Texas. Who is the CLEO for me? Do I send my paperwork to the Sherriff's office or to the Constables office? :cool:

william013
October 24, 2008, 00:25
Thanks for the info.:cool: :bow:

M2MG
October 29, 2008, 09:33
NFA firearms don't have to comply with 922R.

M2MG

W.E.G.
October 29, 2008, 10:16
ATF usually accepts as CLEO
highest-level trial-court judge
Sheriff
Cheif of Police
highest-level state-court prosecutor

You don't need CLEO sign-off if you register it to a corporation or a trust.

DJ
October 29, 2008, 13:05
This might help...........

http://www.m4orum.com/SMF_Forum/index.php?topic=143.0

Jamie has built a couple of SBR's.

K1196A
October 31, 2008, 13:59
Originally posted by ActionYobbo
922r compliance ... forms then get the required signatures.

As said already, NFA and 922r don't meet, but what in the world is a 922r compliance form?

william013
November 10, 2008, 23:13
A couple of follow-up questions:
1. If building a collaspable stock weapon, is the overall length measured with it fully opened or fully shut?

2. In the tutorial seen in this thread, It says to get your lower engraved. What information needs to be added? The serial number, manufacturer logo, and address are already there. What else needs to be added?:confused:

USMC 0341
November 11, 2008, 00:16
Overall length for the weapon is measured with the stock fully extended.

ActionYobbo
November 12, 2008, 08:09
2. In the tutorial seen in this thread, It says to get your lower engraved. What information needs to be added? The serial number, manufacturer logo, and address are already there. What else needs to be added?

you need to put your name and assress on it because you are the manufacturer of the sbr

like this

william013 houston,tx

thats all

AliYahu
November 12, 2008, 15:00
Try these sites:
http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi
http://www.titleii.com/
http://www.spreadfirearms.com/Form1instructions1.html

I have no idea of Tommy Thomas will sign a Form 1 for an SBR, he hasn't signed for MGs or suppressors in years. BATF will NOT accept forms from a constable. If you can't get a signature, a trust is the way to go in TX.
Please let me know (via PM or email) if you get a sign-off!

Eli

william013
November 12, 2008, 22:42
My thanks to all of you. I will let you know how it turns out.:cool:

yarro
November 15, 2008, 12:04
You can also mark the barrel instead of the receiver for everything but the serial number. All lettering must be 1/16" high or larger. Use the serial number that is already on the receiver so that you don't have to restamp another serial number. Saves you from sending off the receiver to be mutilated.

-Yarro

Section 923(i) of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), as amended (18 U.S.C. Chapter 44), requires licensed importers and
licensed manufacturers to identify, by means of a serial number, each firearm imported or manufactured. The serial number must be
engraved, cast, or stamped on the receiver or frame of the weapon in such manner as the Secretary of the Treasury prescribes by
regulation.

Section 178.92 also requires licensed importers and licensed
manufacturers to conspicuously place the following identification markings on the frame, receiver, or barrel of each firearm imported
or manufactured in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed:
1. The model, if such designation has been made;
2. The caliber or gauge;
3. The name (or recognized abbreviation of same) of the manufacturer and also, when applicable, of the importer;
4. In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where the licensed
manufacturer maintains its place of business; and
5. In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which manufactured and the city and State (or recognized
abbreviation thereof) where the importer maintains its place of business.