PDA

View Full Version : S&W 1917 .45acp disapointment

millerphys
October 23, 2008, 12:17
I have always wanted a nice 1917 smith. All the ones I have seen over th years where not worth buying. So I jumped when Smith put out a reproduction.

Crappy hammer and stupid lock, but still a blued 1917.

The fit and finish it not great.

ONe of the chambers has a ring cut into it down from the headspace lip.

The barrel is very wavy, Something I have never seen in a S&W pencil barrel. For one of suppposidly their better production guns, I was not impressed. I have kept it anyways. I only paid $700 new, and just want to shoot it anyways.

Maybe Smith is just rusty, but I don't know how they let that thing out of the factory.

BlueDuck
October 23, 2008, 13:28
I would have sent it back. Money is too tight to put down hard earned cash for a substandard product. I bet for $700 you could get an original in super condition if you really look hard. Have you shot it yet?
BlueDuck

dfletcher
October 23, 2008, 14:27
Take a look:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113833669

I think the price and condition of this particular Smith 1917 are about right. Of course if you're looking for a "like new" original 1917 you'll pay much more, but I'd say this gun is in very good condition and more in line with what you're looking for than a "new version" 1917. Personally, I think if Smith is going to make a repro it should be an accurate repro not a "close enough" version. Their new 1917 may be OK for someone who wants the basic look but as you note, it's not a substitute for the real thing.

Para Driver
October 23, 2008, 16:32
Originally posted by dfletcher
Take a look:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113833669

I think the price and condition of this particular Smith 1917 are about right. Of course if you're looking for a "like new" original 1917 you'll pay much more, but I'd say this gun is in very good condition and more in line with what you're looking for than a "new version" 1917. Personally, I think if Smith is going to make a repro it should be an accurate repro not a "close enough" version. Their new 1917 may be OK for someone who wants the basic look but as you note, it's not a substitute for the real thing.

it's a 5 screw.. doesn't get much better than that.

patrick kelly
October 24, 2008, 20:23
I've seen several examples of S&Ws "Classic" line and I haven't been impressed with any of them. Invariably it's been possible to find a very nice shooter-grade original for less money, or at the very least close enough in price to be a non-issue.

For that price tag I would have sent the thing back and complained to S&W, not waste my time complaing on-line.

dfletcher
October 27, 2008, 12:39
Originally posted by Para Driver

it's a 5 screw.. doesn't get much better than that.

And heck, no one bought the thing. I thought that was an OK price, maybe it should actually go for a bit less.

CRShooter32
October 27, 2008, 13:25
I had one of the new issue 1917 S&W, and well, sold it. The finish on the barrel rubbed off, the action was poor compared to my other Smith revolvers, and after having the opportunity to check out an original 1917, found the repros to be seriously lacking.

The finish on the original, only one small area worn off, was better than the new production.

jdmcomp
October 28, 2008, 09:21
I too have a new 1917 and agree that it is not the original. However, I can shoot it all day without hurting the value of a pristine original. I think the action will improve with shooting and the lock is just a stupid thing we will all have to adjust to sooner or later. I will keep it because I like shooting it.

I wish S&W had paid more attention to getting details right including the smooth grips, better machining of small parts (which I guess are MIM) and the dull blue finish of the original gun. I would have loved to have the original markings reproduced in some fashion also.

I find that even my 1937 Brazilian S&W is a better made gun in most ways. I had to send the new 1917 gun back to S&W to repair a bad blue job.

FYI, I have lots of reproductions for shooting to keep originals in their best condition. Takes the worry out of going to the range. Now if Colt would just reissue the 1909/1917 New Service...

BUFF
October 28, 2008, 14:30
Originally posted by jdmcomp:

"I too have a new 1917 and agree that it is not the original. However, I can shoot it all day without hurting the value of a pristine original."

If a S&W or other firearm I acquire has already been shot, I find I can shoot it more and it doesn't matter at all. If I don't holster it, don't drop it or bang it into stuff or shoot hundreds of full-charge Magnum rounds through it, and use nylon brushes when cleaning it, it won't show the additional resulting wear at all. Thus, no loss of value, and I get a new experience.

You will see the loss of value, though, when you shoot your new, unfired, current production handgun or rifle. Try to sell those new/now used S&W 1917's for what you paid for them.

Besides, I have never seen an original finsh, "pristine" WWI S&W 1917 for sale at anything under $1,500 in the last 5 years! So, I don't have that decision to make!

The only used S&W handguns I own that I haven't or won't shoot are black powder guns like my First Model Schofield or my .22 Number Ones, or something as fragile as my .22 Long Ladysmith, which action can break just from being looked at!

Yes, it is a shame that new guns from all of the old gun makers lack the fit and finish of the old guns.

Shameless plug: I have re-upped my contributor status but Goderator hasn't restored my Marketplace rights yet.

I have a NIB S&W Model 22-4 Thunder Ranch .45 ACP for sale. Complete with the outer shippig box, OD-colored Thunder Ranch logo pistol rug, all papers plus the warranty card. This one does NOT have a Thunder Ranch logo on the revolver, just a "TR" on the on the grips.

These look like a 1917 with a 4-inch barrel with the ejector rod shroud under the barrel, like a Model 19 or 29. Square butt, fixed sights, blue.

$525 shipped and insured to your FFL. P.M. me if interested.