PDA

View Full Version : Good .308 bolt action to suppress

ackks
October 21, 2008, 02:24
I'm looking at the T3 Tactical because it comes with a TB, but I was wondering if there were any other good ones out there to suppress. If they don't come with a TB I don't mind sending them to have it done at Gemtec for example if they aren't too expensive.

JR in the NW
October 21, 2008, 21:42
TB?

JR in the NW
October 22, 2008, 13:16
Ok maybe I wasn't clear enough, what the hell is a "TB"?

johnnycobra
October 22, 2008, 17:13
Tuberculosis. Apparently is a WMD?

Threaded Barrel = TB

Tyris
October 22, 2008, 17:27
Before settling on the threaded barrel as a final criteria for acceptance, determine what the threads are and if the silencer you want is available in those threads.

I'd rather get an unthreaded barrel from a manufacturer & model I like and then mate them up with a silencer I like. Plenty of places know how to thread for a silencer and can do a fine job, just make sure they understand it is for a silencer not merely a brake -- they must make the threads concentric to the bore. My favorite place for barrel threading is Tornado Technologies.

My choice if I were buying today: Remington 700 5R and AAC 762SD. Fast attach cans rock because they dont unscrew while shooting. (anyone who calls them quick-detach has probably never actually tried to remove one when the can is hot... :eek: )

Also Gemtech's bilock does not really secure the can as it wobbles pretty badly and it allows significant as blow-back onto the scope. Make sure you handle a bilock can attached to a rifle if you're looking to buy one.

-T

Ron Walker
October 24, 2008, 13:12
I like the looks of the Knight's Flash/Suppressor /quick detach can for their SR25, and it appears very solid in the lockup. Not known if we civilian types can access the combination or if it's SOCOM only. For the money, I would choose the Rem 700 308 HB as my starting point. If you read my responses in another thread, you think I like Savage 12s only, but there are certain applications I would go to the 700. This is one of them(after blueprinting the action/barrel, of course). My friend formerly of John's Guns out of Palestine, Texas had a special 700 he made that was positively scary, it was so quiet. You head a slight clink as the firing pin fell, and the thunk as the bullet hit the target, and that was it, period. Wish I'd gotten one before he sold out. Ron

L Haney
October 24, 2008, 17:33
Originally posted by Tyris
Fast attach cans rock because they dont unscrew while shooting. (anyone who calls them quick-detach has probably never actually tried to remove one when the can is hot... :eek: )

Chicken Mitt baby, Chicken Mitt!

Lowell