PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew M1 takes the WEG challenge !

owlcreekok
October 20, 2008, 10:19
I finally got pics of targets up over on the WEG challenge thread, "How Accurate is your FAL". I reckon my FALs are doing what I can do with them. However, after shooting those two beloved battle rifles I had to break out the Garand.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/owlcreekok/WEGChallenge003.jpg

The two "X" shots were made by yours truly with another fella's Garand. We were trying to get his rifle running and I sprayed a few rounds getting the dope on his M1.

The hole with an "F" beside it as well as a hole off the paper, pointed with arrow and marked 2" (below the dot root of the arrow) are both honest called flyers. I had my buddy spotting for me and I told him when the trigger broke where they would be. I was close enough to where the shots hit to be fully confident that my home build Garand is under 2 MOA with NO accurizing mods.

Now I will start tuning. :shades:

wolfsburgbob
October 20, 2008, 10:40
http://i35.tinypic.com/2zsa9o2.jpg

Nice group Owl!

PS,...Correction to above post: Shots marked 1 and 2 were mine from 250 yards using "home rolled" from the trusty Remington 700 in 300 Whisper.

(...workin on my "grassy knoll" technique.)

:wink:

owlcreekok
October 20, 2008, 10:56
Howz it goin' out there, Wolfie ?

Remember I am wanting to gather up that little piece of metal sometime from down around Hobby.

wolfsburgbob
October 20, 2008, 12:13
After four days of squaring away, today is #2 Son's first day at his first real man-job. I am very proud of him. He has done well for someone the ex-wife and her educational-lesbo-pysch-shrinks thought would never attend even a junior college. They did not understand he needed artistic stimulation, not old frizzy-hared school marms wearing smocks and earth shoes groaning over grade-school math and english.

He has shone like a bright star.

www.spugwilliams.com

Now, Old Papa Wolfie has been left all alone in the crib to fend off the 80 degree cloudless sky dry weather and the tanned hotties at the complex pool.

Let me tell ya there Birdy Boy,...it's gonna be a nice day in L.A..

shlomo
October 20, 2008, 18:55
Owl--

That the rifle that you and Slow put together? I don't recall if you told the story about what reamer you used, so forth.

Nice shootin' by the way. That rifle looks to be about 30% more accurate than it needs to be to clean a JCG match.:bow:

1MOR
October 20, 2008, 20:15
Nice! Ya did the barreling yerself?

owlcreekok
October 20, 2008, 20:44
Yep, me and Slow barreled it. I bought the Criterion from Midway. We cranked it on the stripped receiver I got from CMP just before they went up on the price and then ran out of them. We used a regular .30-06 reamer with a socket universal. Touched it with the reamer, clean check, repeat. Made it a pretty tight chamber. As I recall we stopped when the go gage just would drop on a civilian aught six round and it fell a little easier on a milsurp. We used a secret formula for timing. It consisted of witness marks established using our lathes and "FM" (fuggin majick) :eek:

The gas cylinder is so tight ya hafta tap it on and off. Hell, it wouldn' even GO on at first. I hadda worry the race with 400 emery to get it on to begin with.

We WECSOG'ed the op rod crook and it ran first rattle outta the bag. :shades:

I bought a set of CMP wood to go on it as the wood from the kit Slow found at the HGCA show was a mite ratty. Serviceable, but ratty. the rifle fits in it ever so tight. A bit of work to get the trigger group seated, but it locks up nice. I blasted and parked everything, finished the linseed oil that CMP started. Survey Punk turned me on to a box of EnBlocs, cardboards and bandoleers as well as a coupla combo tools. Heck, I HAD to finish it on account of JB's goading along fer two years. :tongue:

I will try to get some pics of it up later on.

I hope next year to have my ducks and accessories rowed up for a JCG match. Prolly make a fool of meself, but it'll be fun.

1MOR
October 20, 2008, 21:01
Kinda neat to watch somebody walk into a JCG match with a rifle that got dragged behind a truck, a BSA spotter with foam wrapped around it and a piece of carpet for a pad, and then clean everybody's clock. Most of the matches are at established clubs where they have equipment to loan first timers, to set the hook! If ya show up, most likely they will set you up with just about everything you need. Great way to spend a day! You will enjoy.

owlcreekok
October 20, 2008, 21:09
My pad is presently what the good Lord put onna dirt. My spotter is way worse than a BSA. I got it at KMart on clearance in 80 or 82. Real POS it is. When I shoot my ,45-70 at 50 yards I can see the holes. These .30 holes at 100 are iffy for my scope. A goodun is on the shopping list.

wolfsburgbob
October 20, 2008, 23:04
Originally posted by owlcreekok
We cranked it on the stripped receiver I got from CMP just before they went up on the price and then ran out of them.

They didn't run out, they merely decided to smarten-up and build their own "parts" guns instead of seling receivers off of damaged and shot-out rifles. I wonder why it took so long for them to figure that out.

We hand picked 20 just before the end.

Glad you gat a good one.

shlomo
October 21, 2008, 05:50
Originally posted by 1MOR
Kinda neat to watch somebody walk into a JCG match with a rifle that got dragged behind a truck, a BSA spotter with foam wrapped around it and a piece of carpet for a pad, and then clean everybody's clock. Most of the matches are at established clubs where they have equipment to loan first timers, to set the hook! If ya show up, most likely they will set you up with just about everything you need. Great way to spend a day! You will enjoy.

We had a young guy that shot our club's JCG match in '07 wearing a t-shirt, cutoff khaki shorts and flip flops. (Not purple, so I doubt he was related to CE.) Ground cloth is a blue tarp.

He's doing fairly well, and when it's time to shoot standing, he kicks off the flip flops and makes ready to shoot barefoot. Several of the Highmaster highpower guys notice this and gather round to watch. Well, you know what bandwagon types competition shooters are. I leaned over to my bud on the next point, and said, "If Jethro Bodine here cleans the standing, there won't be a swingin' dick out here wearin' boots tomorrow for the bolt rifle match."