PDA

View Full Version : What Model is This?

USMC 0341
October 18, 2008, 06:30
Recently, while I was back in the US I was able to make it to a gun show where I picked up a S&W Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. I have a number of single action revolvers in this caliber and wanted to have something more modern and in DA to shoot the same round.

I assume that the Mountain Gun is the same as some other S&W model revolver, or at least shares the same frame with one. Can somebody tell me what model that would be? If I am looking for a holster for this gun what would be the equivalent model number?

BUFF
October 18, 2008, 08:45
It depends on the metal. If it is blue or nickel-plated it is a Model 25. If it is stainless steel it is a Model 625. S&W N frames chambered for the .45 ACP round can also be Model 25's or 625's.

The model number will be stamped on the frame inside the yoke cut-out (on S&W revolvers made after 1957). The yoke is also called the crane. Swing open the cylinder and look inside on the frame and there it will be. It will say "M-25" or "MOD-25" or such. Other numbers stamped there may be the serial number (also stamped on the bottom of the grip frame) and some inspectors or assemblers numbers.

There will be a digit after a dash on the model number stamping, such as "M-25-6" or "MOD-25-6" or such. This is called the "dash number" and signifies an engineering change.

The Mountain Guns (except the .357 Magnum one) are built on what is known as the N frame. Holsters for the Models 27, 28, 29, 57 and such will fit. All the Mountain Guns have 4 inch barrels if you are ordering from a chart or catalog.

Great choice, by the way! S&W revolvers are my first shooting love and the Mountain Gun series are some of the best. I have them in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 ACP and .45 Colt. I'd like to find one of the .41 Magnum Model 657 Mountain guns, but these are scarce.

USMC 0341
October 18, 2008, 21:30
Thanks BUFF,

Yup, it's in blue steel - so a Model 25.

I started in modern handguns somewhat bassackwards - I first got a S&W auto and then Colt revolvers. I had always wanted a S&W revolver so was looking for something like this.

I like the feel of this big bore DA gun. As far as I am concerned it doesn't need to be a magnum. For serious social purposes the 45 Colt is enough. I like the idea of loading up some of those really heavy bullets even if they are "only" moving out at around 900 fps.

The only other big bore revolver I might have considered would have been a 41 Mag. I have a Ruger Blackhawk in that caliber so it would not be adding a new caliber.