PDA

View Full Version : Stock for Rem 700

kotengu
October 15, 2008, 10:38
I've heard how nice the McMillan stocks are, but I honestly can't see spending that much money on this gun. My only concerns for a stock is that it fits me, provides a stable mounting platform for the action, and has a strong enough forend to take either high sling pressure and/or bipod pressure without moving my POI.

I would assume the standard Remington synthetic stock won't withstand the sling pressure, but I honestly haven't tried it yet. It doesn't seem like any I've looked at (Bell & Carlson, HS Precision, etc.) have any forend reinforcement, so maybe it's not necessary.

I'm not looking for a super-duper tactical/adjustable stock, but I would like it to be quality. I plan to do some target shooting, maybe some long range matches, and hunt with it (so weight is an issue).

Any suggestions?

tac-40
October 15, 2008, 14:08
I have a Hogue full bedded stock on my FN PBR. It had an aluminum block that runs fron the rear of the receiver to the front of the forearm. Very solid and does not have any movement when using a bipod. Haven't used a sling on it but it is very sturdy. Tried to flex it and it took a lot of force to get it to bend. Way more than I would exert using a sling. You just have to get over the sticky rubber overmolded stuff.

MAINER
October 16, 2008, 08:57
Lots of choices available. I found these when looking for a PBR stock. Unfortunately they don't cut one for my configuration.
I liked the full bed system they have.

http://www.accurateinnovations.com/remington/remington-700-rifle-stock.html

needafal
October 16, 2008, 11:24
I have a Rem 700 PSS, that had the HS Precision stock on it (replaced it with the McMillan). The HS Precision stock is most likely plenty durable for anything during regular use.

You can find plenty of "take off" stocks on the "tactical" shooting sites. There is always somebody upgrading their stocks and selling the factory one for cheap.