PDA

View Full Version : My newly acquired S&W Mod. 27

patrick kelly
October 14, 2008, 20:13
I owned one of these years ago and getting rid of it has always ranked as one of my more foolish acts. Needless to say I was more than a little happy to find this 70s-made 27-2 at a gunshow last weekend.

The action's like glass and it's a real tack driver. It reminds me of why my old one was my favorite handgun.

http://www.pbase.com/image/104355675/large.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/104355679/large.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/104355682/large.jpg

Retired Bum
October 14, 2008, 20:32
That is one fine looking Model 27-2 you have acquired. A few years ago I had four 27-2's in my modest S&W collection of N frames. A 3.5 inch, 5 inch, 6 inch, and 8 3/8ths inch. All blue, all with the three T's. All in wooden display cases.

I've always considered the Model 27 to be the premier N frame. But due to circumstances, now all I have left is the 3.5 and 5 inch guns. I will probably sell them in the not too distant future. The prices this model brings today are considerably higher than what I have invested in them. I look at it this way. One of these days I'm gonna die. My brothers will take whatever guns I still have left and sell them at scrap metal prices. So I might as well sell them myself and spend the money on myself.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

BUFF
October 14, 2008, 21:51
A most excellent acquisition, Patrick Kelly! The N frame S&W's are probably the strongest .357 Magnum revolvers ever made. The Model 27 is the descendent of the original .357 Magnum handgun, the "Registered Magnum," released by S&W in 1935. S&W has started manufacturing a "Model 27 Classic" again but it has MIM (cast) lockwork parts, a big, unsightly hole in the left sideplate for a keyed lock and all of the post-1980 manufacturing shortcuts. A nice pre-Model 27-3 (or older variant) like Patrick's new gun is the way to go!

patrick kelly
October 15, 2008, 08:02
Thanks guys,

Retired,

You're absolutely right about the prices on these. The price was double on this one when compared to what I paid for my first one years ago. This one did come with the case and accessories, as well as the original grips. None of which came with my old one. However, the machining is also superior on this one as is the finish so I was happy to find it. I used to have several N-frames but a severe wrist injury made it impossible to shoot them for several years and they were all sold off because of that. I've regretted that for some time and hopefully this is the first in a new battery of Smiths.

Buff,

I was actually looking at one of the "Classic" Mod. 29s in a local store the day before I found this one. As I handled it I thought, "okay, but not up to the old quality". Then I found this one and that was it. The fact that I paid far less for a superior piece is just icing on the cake. When old ones in this condition can still be found I see no point in the newer ones. I used my first Mod. 27 as a duty weapon and was always ribbed by my coworkers for my "boat anchor". Personally, the 27 has always been my favorite .357 by far, I much preferred it to my Python. I liked the guns extra weight, which allowed me to shoot full magnum loads with no discomfort, not to mention much quicker follow-up shots. Definitely a keeper.

gp35fn
October 31, 2008, 17:38
Beautiful S&W 27-2 there patrick kelly!!! Been looking for a nice N frame .357magnum myself and had to "settle" for the plain-jane sister of your 27-2, a S&W 28-2 made about 1970. Haven't shot her yet-but that will done soon.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h252/gp35fn/P9100004.jpg

1911guy
October 31, 2008, 20:27
Nice looking 27. I had one back in the 70's. Really liked it. Now I only pick up round butt Smiths.

seg
November 26, 2008, 12:48
I just got my first 27 a few weeks ago, Pre27 6". It is a impressive peice of metal. The finsh on those are outstanding as is the action. I'd like to find a 4" someday.

Nice Smith, enjoy

BUFF
November 27, 2008, 07:48
4 inch Model 27-2, and earlier, are pretty scarce guns. S&W made them from 1948 to 1979 with 3-1/2, 5, 6, 6-1/2 and 8-3/8 inch barrels. Then they standardized on 4, 6 and 8-3/8 inches. Two years or two later, they discontinued the P&R features and took some other shortcuts as the Model 27-3.

So, 4 inch pre-Model 27-3 guns were only made for a couple of years, and that was a time when big, heavy .357 Mag revolvers weren't the "in" gun to buy.

I have a nickel 4 inch M-27-2 in the stash.

My favorite is the 5 inch M-27. Looks great, totes great, shoots great!

Ricketts
November 27, 2008, 09:45
Nice 27!!

I too have rekindled my interest in these. I'd love to find a nice 5". Sold mine years ago and am still kicking my arse for it.

L Haney
November 30, 2008, 18:47
The finish on those '27's was a joy to behold. Never could get used to those "Target" grips for shooting, but they do look nice. The fit and finish of the lockwork parts was sublime during this guns heyday. They must of had some old hands doing final assembly and fitting on these things. That's a great wheelgun you have there. Good Score!

Lowell

BUFF
December 01, 2008, 00:17
Originally posted by L Haney:

"Never could get used to those "Target" grips for shooting, but they do look nice."

The S&W Target stocks are a modification of grips designed and marketed by Walter Roper, a target shooter from the 1920's and 30's who worked for S&W. Handgun target competition was pretty well all one-handed, single action shooting then. The S&W Target grips work okay for single action, but are too big and shaped all wrong for most hands for double action shooting.

They do look right, though. I like the ones without checkering the best. S&W used to make all their own wood grips at a 'carpentry shop' at the factory, but buy them from outside vendors now.

patrick kelly
December 02, 2008, 09:10
Originally posted by L Haney
The finish on those '27's was a joy to behold. Never could get used to those "Target" grips for shooting, but they do look nice. The fit and finish of the lockwork parts was sublime during this guns heyday. They must of had some old hands doing final assembly and fitting on these things. That's a great wheelgun you have there. Good Score!

Lowell

Thanks. I still kick myself for getting rid of my original four-inch 27, but this one's pretty nice. The target grips fit my big gorilla hands fine but I will be replacing them with a bit better shape as the stock targets are a bit too blocky.

patrick kelly
December 21, 2008, 09:19
A few weeks ago I purchased these grips from Eagle:
http://www.pbase.com/image/106343313/medium.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/106343307/medium.jpg

I'd done business with Eagle several times but not for a number of years. Unfortunately this will be the last purchase I make with them. As they came, the grips weren't very well fitted to each other, with several higher and lower spots between the two panels. The butt was also sanded at an angle, meaning that you could rest the pistol on it's butt and see an obvious lean to one side. The final finish was also very porous and almost raw looking. I debated sending them back, but being a compulsive tinkerer I decided to make a project out of them, and after a couple of weeks I wound up with this result.

http://www.pbase.com/image/107284716/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/107284719/medium.jpg

After fixing the fit issues it took around twenty coats of Tru-Oil to fill the grain, followed by a buffing with Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen. The contrast in the grain is now much more apparent, although it doesn't come through fully in the photos.

I really liked the fit of the grips to my hand and the grips are more attractive than they were. Eventually I'll put something fancier on this pistol and these will go on another handgun, maybe a stainless one. No more Eagle grips for me though.

bykerhd
December 21, 2008, 09:50
Have you actually gotten out to SHOOT that very fine S & W yet patrick kelly ?
It's a beauty for sure.
Those good looking grips you did all the work on don't hurt either.
Very nice. :wink:

DJ
December 21, 2008, 10:27
Beautiful 27, Patrick Kelly. I bought a 6" 28 in about 1971. Put thousands of rounds out of it.
You did a beautiful job on those grips, too.

Sumoj275
December 21, 2008, 11:39
I just got a 5" 27-2 the other day with a set of the Ahrend finger groove grips for 350.00. I really like the pistol but don't care for the grips so i will need to find something to replac them with. I hate to hear about the Eagle deal becasue I liked the looks of them, oh well.

I will try and get some pics of it.

Take care

patrick kelly
December 22, 2008, 19:48
Originally posted by bykerhd
Have you actually gotten out to SHOOT that very fine S & W yet patrick kelly ?
It's a beauty for sure.
Those good looking grips you did all the work on don't hurt either.
Very nice. :wink:

Thanks,

Oh yes, I've been putting a lot of rounds through it in the last month or so. It's a real tack driver to be sure. My old 27 was my favorite and this one immediately stepped in. I carry semi-autos for serious purposes, but there's nothing like a fine revolver for sheer enjoyment.

patrick kelly
December 22, 2008, 19:49
Originally posted by DJ
Beautiful 27, Patrick Kelly. I bought a 6" 28 in about 1971. Put thousands of rounds out of it.
You did a beautiful job on those grips, too.

Thanks, I think this one needs a four-inch 28 to keep it company.