PDA

View Full Version : Garand or M14? Help!!

rattinox
October 14, 2008, 08:07
My Father was a Sgt. Major in The Corps. Since I was young, a good part of my life was devoted to the M14, of course. Lived it, loved it. MY RIFLE and all that.

Well, my Sacred Rifle disappeared about 2 years back (long story) and I've been completely psychotic waiting til I could afford to replace it. (It was an early Springfield Armory Inc., not mil original.).......Now I can afford to buy. BUT:

Recently, I've been bit hard by the Garand bug. I love the history behind it as much as the fact that it lacks that long magazine sticking out, which should help a lot in the 2nd-growth, brushy country of north-central Minnesota. I had the chance to handle and look over a decent Garand at my Dealers- fell in love with it then and there- but never fired one yet.

Just like in '89, I also have a severe case of Bidenoia. I must have a battle rifle and soon! I have my eyes set on either a Garand or an M14 from Fulton Armory; the Garand in .30-06, the M14 in .308, both Service Grade.

Money is not a factor in this case.

I'm going stark ravin' mad trying to decide between the two! Both have their strong points, both won my heart. Since I can't decide, I want you guys to make my decision for me; I just can't flip a coin. Tell me your vote and just a brief reason why. I really do need your help on this, Guys!!

Tell me which!!

Thanks!

vmtz
October 14, 2008, 08:15
M-14. I am sure Ssarge will agree too.

Fr. Vince

hagar
October 14, 2008, 08:56
Get the M1A first. They are getting harder to find, not nearly as many of them around. Garands are pouring out of the woodwork, between CMP selling them and the awesoles that bought 10 a year to make a profit on them later and are now hurting for money, you can afford to wait and be picky.

ftierson
October 14, 2008, 10:53
I agree...

Although the Garand is a superior weapon (:)), get the M14 while the getting is good...

However, keep in mind that, currently, .30 Cal. M2 Ball is much cheaper than 7.62mm NATO ammo...

Forrest

fry
October 14, 2008, 10:55
what he said.^

DK
October 14, 2008, 11:00
Obama/Biden/Dem congress is gonna try something. That goes without saying. I'd get the magazine fed rifle first, stock up on some mags and pick up a M1 after that.

DK

Ssarge
October 14, 2008, 11:17
Skip Fulton Armory, they don't currently have a supplier for receivers.
Get a standard M1A or an LRB if you want the Caddie of M1A's.
Also jump on the 44mag.com $19.99 mag sale. It's a limited to stock sale to get mags into folks hands prior to Nov and the election.
While you are enjoying your M1A, do what you need to do to qualify for the CMP sales program and buy an M1 service grade Garand for $595. Get the ammo from CMP for $.25 a round as well.

gunshack
October 15, 2008, 09:06
Get an M14 clone while you can. LRB if you can swing it.

The garand is my favorite rifle at the range, but the M14 is more practical...

rattinox
October 15, 2008, 14:14
I'd never heard of LRB, so I took a look through their site. Yow!

Having been a tool & die machinist the last 30 years, I can tell you that the LRB receiver is the best machining I've ever seen on a mil-spec part. Beautiful, clean finish. That is excellent work! Well worth the price, knowing what I know.

I can tell you, just the CNC programming had to be genius at work, let alone tool selection. Original receivers like TRW were made on purpose-built machines and tooling, made specifically for those receivers and nothing else. I'm sure LRB had to do some of that, too, but otherwise CNC machining is a completely different ball game, and is capable of incredibly precise and accurate work.

Sorry, Guys, but I've been waiting a long, long time for some shop to do what LRB is doing! I'm almost hopping up and down like a kid! Guess you gotta be a metal-cutter to get excited like this. $820 might seem like greed to most shooters, but if you knew what went in to making these receivers you'd know that it's almost justified. I'm sure it took them many, many shop labor hours just to get al the bugs worked out of just the programming, let alone all the inspection fixturing, initial investent (yikes!) and general BS Murphy's Law stuff that comes up...................

LRB, I salute you! I guess I gotta have one (M14) now that I've gone fruitbat over it...........

Thanks, Gentlemen. I would never have known about LRB without 'ya.

How long has LRB been around? Never heard a peep about 'em.

1MOR
October 15, 2008, 15:10
Dilemma, as both are great MBRs. With some "sharp" shopping, you might be able to pick up a clean low mileage Armscorp or SAI receivered clone built on a USGI parts package. Per SSarge, run, don't walk to the CMI mag deal and buy two or three times what ya need. Then, grab one of CMPs service grade Garands and as much ammo as you can afford and have space to store. Both will serve ya well. In the SHTF scenario, remember, the Garand went through WW2, Korea and a few other hell holes quite successfully. 8 rounds of 3006 in the hands of a skilled rifleman is a deadly combination. Not a real great spray and pray weapon!

gunshack
October 15, 2008, 15:51
Originally posted by rattinox
I'd never heard of LRB, so I took a look through their site. Yow!... How long has LRB been around?

They have been building and selling rifles and receivers since 2004, if I'm not mistaken. The process leading up to that took almost 5 years.

As a tool and die machinist/CNC programmer myself, I can tell you from first hand experience with their receivers (x 4 :biggrin: ) your analysis is right on the money.

At last February’s shot show I had a chance to talk to the programmer/machinist in charge of receiver production. As of some time last year they are making the receivers using EDM to cut out the magazine well and a 5 axis VMC to machine the rest of the part. I imagine they may have one or two secondary operations, and a butt load of special fixturing.

Prior to that they used a standard VCM with a 4th axis, and broached the magazine well.

Cava3r4
October 17, 2008, 18:12
buy a FN/FAL (or clone) also.
won't be long and uncle sugar will say "you can't have it"

Azraphaelus
October 17, 2008, 19:36
For the price of one Fulton Armory M1 Garand, you could buy at least two military surplus service grade M1 Garands (H&R and SA, get one of each!)via CMP. Rugged, impressive and extremely simple. If it weren't for the FAL it would be my absolute favorite! :biggrin:

LRB if you can afford it.

And of course, you can't go wrong with a proper FAL.

wolfsburgbob
October 18, 2008, 08:32
What THEY said. ^

I am a stone's throw from Camp Perry and have visted DCM/CMP hundreds of times. There are trillionz of Garands out there, trllionz at CMP, and trillionz to go in worldwide surplus.

Get the M-14 clone. No trillionz of M-14s anywhere.

:wink:

rattinox
October 19, 2008, 09:56
Thanks for all the input.

I've finally made The Big Decision.

I'm going to buy both.

The wife's greenhouse is just gonna have to wait.

This is a matter of National and Constitutional Security.

ackks
October 19, 2008, 10:43
I keep hearing about the LBR...where is the best place to buy one?

2barearms
October 19, 2008, 18:19
Originally posted by ackks
I keep hearing about the LBR...where is the best place to buy one?

LRB.

ftierson
October 19, 2008, 18:30

I'm going to buy both.

Good choice...

:)

Forrest

wolfsburgbob
October 19, 2008, 19:40
The ONLY choice!

Good move.

:wink:

andresere
October 19, 2008, 21:18

I'm going to buy both.

I've been married enough to know that this is spoken like a man that likes sleeping on the couch:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Amen. Definetly get them both. M-14/1A first...but while you are doing that be eyeballing the Garand. I have them both and they just go together like peas and carrots....

Bucksarge
November 03, 2008, 22:57
Way to go Rat. I think I almost have the dear esposa talked into funding the LRB basic M14SA as my return from war gift. Her hard wired frugality keeps kicking in and she keeps saying the Springer is cheaper. I think I will win out in the end.

Then I will use her Father's M1 Carbine to teach her to shoot rifles. It fits her perfect.