PDA

View Full Version : Enfield Jungle Carbine

gunner30
October 12, 2008, 17:26
A nice looking Jungle Carbine just showed up at my local shop. Price is $275.00. Is this a good price for one of these? I haven't seen one for sale in years, and I cant seem to find any price reference during a quick look on the web. So I thought I'd seek out expert advice here. Also, what should I be looking for, as far as proper features versus bubba's school of gunsmithing. This does have the flip up ladder sight, is this correct for this rifle???

Gunner

K. Funk
October 12, 2008, 19:23
Yes, the flip-up is correct, but it is shorter than what you would find on a No 4. Does it have the proper No 5 markings on the right side of the receiver? Is it import marked? Does the barrel shank have the lightening cuts?

There are two types of stocks I have seen. On some, the tip of the forearm has a metal cap, some not. The ones without are prone to cracking.

Make sure the wood is in good shape, finding hand guards and forearms is just about impossible.

I have this one listed on GB, it's in pretty bad shape, but one pic shows the proper markings.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113001551

Oh, and $275 is not bad if it is the real deal.

krf

brownknees
October 12, 2008, 19:26
Some had a "Special" ladder sight, IIRC it was graduated to 800 yds, not the usual 1,100. The rest had the 2-position flip sight.

Is it a #4, or a #1? NO carbines were made from #1 actions, but a lot of current "copies" were.

There should be several "lightening cuts" in the reciever, sometimes they aren't that easy to find as they are buried in the wood, but a bit of carefull looking down between the wood & metal alongside the reciever sides should show them up.

Do you have any of the markings? Not all factories made #5 carbines.

Here's a link to a great Enfield site, together with the info on who made #5 carbines. You can find the manufacturer from the letter(s)in the serial #.

http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/

"Production of the No5 MkI however began in earnest in 1944 at the Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF) Fazakerley and at Birmingham Small Arms Co. Shirley (BSA Shirley) and continued until 1947 before production was ordered halted."

In short if it is a real #5 the number will be prefixed with either an (F), or a (B).

gunner30
October 13, 2008, 06:00
Thanks for the crash course in Jungle Carbine ID. Armed with this knowledge, I'm going to take a trip back to the shop this afternoon (he's just 2 miles from my house) and see if it is a for real #5. I may have to make some room in the vault. These are cool looking guns, and right now,bolt guns are far cheaper to shoot. I've already got a #4 and about 1k of .303
Thanks guys. I'll post later to let you know if I bought it or not

Ron Walker
October 13, 2008, 12:47
On a genuine JC the bolt handle should be hollow, and a groove milled in the bolt guide/lug on the bolt itself. Plus, as the previous respondents state, some of the action will be milled to lighten. Ladder or Flip-up RS is appropriate, depending on year of mfgr. If it's original with a good or better bore, that is an excellent price. If you've never shot one, the recoil can be intimidating to some because of the very narrow and hard rubber buttpad.
Also, some I've seen that were shot a lot needed the bolthead changed to the next longer one due to set-back or stretching, or an armorer's carelessness - I don't know. 303 headspaces on the rim, so not a lot of wiggle room. Ron

StoneyCreekMrMauser
October 13, 2008, 16:59
FWIW, TN gun parts has the replacement bolt heads up to size "3" for a small purse.

BTW, check the barrel for any further markings. My copy was built by Golden State Arms, but there are others out there.

SteveW
October 13, 2008, 20:34
> If you've never shot one, the recoil can be intimidating to some because of the very narrow and hard rubber buttpad

Well, really because of the conical flash-hider, that is really a recoil magnification device. The hard rubber buttpad just 'rubs it in'..

gunner30
October 13, 2008, 22:40
Ya snooze..ya lose. Saw this rifle in the shop on Friday night. went today to buy it, it had sold. Matter of fact,it sold right after opening Saturday morning. It barely sat on the shelf. Just like Steve Winwood.."When you see a chance, take it " Someone got a good deal on a nice rifle:beer: