PDA

View Full Version : How do I put my SBR on a Form 3 or 4 to sell it?

sturmgrenadiere
October 06, 2008, 16:03
I have an SBR'd HK rifle that is on a Form 1 (I built it). I want to sell it and have an out of state buyer. I have never dealt with NFA weapon transfers.

Any easy "how to" online guides to do this. Or can soomeone give me a step by step?

Thanks

Ben

partisan50
October 06, 2008, 17:12
No big deal, it will go out on a Form 4 directly to his FFL/SOT.

Just fill out the Form 4 with all of the firearm info listed on the Form 1.

sturmgrenadiere
October 06, 2008, 20:57
Do I understand the $200 tax gets paid twice? Once for the transfer to the dealer, and once from the dealr to the buyer?

AliYahu
October 07, 2008, 04:20
Originally posted by sturmgrenadiere
Do I understand the $200 tax gets paid twice? Once for the transfer to the dealer, and once from the dealr to the buyer?
That'd be correct. Sucks but true.

Eli

rocko
October 07, 2008, 07:08

Correct - which is why there really isn't much of a secondary market for NFA stuff outside of AOWs and MG's.

M2MG
October 07, 2008, 09:09
Just as a point of conversation, any NFA item sold from one state resident to another resident in the SAME state, only one tax is paid.

M2MG

xcpd69
October 13, 2008, 10:09

There is no requirement under Federal Law to go through a dealer, if both of you are residents of the same state. Call BATF and request a Form 4 Transfer package. You'll need two Form 4s, two fingerprint cards, and I believe there is a citizenship statement form now.

It's a PITA, but I've done it.

Now, as for a Transfer out of state, you would be required to go through a dealer in your state, he transfers to a dealer in the buyer'sstate, then he transfers to the buyer. A Transfer Tax must be paid everytime a transfer involves a non-licensee, so there would be two Transfer Taxes paid on an out of state tranfer.

Hope I haven't confused you. Check BATFE Website for more details.

kent158
October 15, 2008, 12:13
"Now, as for a Transfer out of state, you would be required to go through a dealer in your state, he transfers to a dealer in the buyer'sstate, then he transfers to the buyer. A Transfer Tax must be paid everytime a transfer involves a non-licensee, so there would be two Transfer Taxes paid on an out of state tranfer."

This is not true. You can transfer a SBR (or any other NFA) directly to a dealer in another state.

xcpd69
October 17, 2008, 20:41
Originally posted by kent158
"Now, as for a Transfer out of state, you would be required to go through a dealer in your state, he transfers to a dealer in the buyer'sstate, then he transfers to the buyer. A Transfer Tax must be paid everytime a transfer involves a non-licensee, so there would be two Transfer Taxes paid on an out of state tranfer."

This is not true. You can transfer a SBR (or any other NFA) directly to a dealer in another state.

Thanks for the correction, was going by memory and should have double checked.

I know better. :biggrin:

Stranger
October 20, 2008, 13:29
Originally posted by xcpd69

Thanks for the correction, was going by memory and should have double checked.

I know better. :biggrin:

Actually, I thought your original statement was the requirement as well. I could have saved an extra three weeks on my last transfer had they not bothered with the "middle-man". Good to know.