PDA

View Full Version : Garand parts exchange here?

Ssarge
September 19, 2008, 17:54
OK, those of us with a few Garands that have mixed parts but otherwise are in excellent condition, is there any interest in a stickie with WTT parts so we can make them more "correct"?
Goint to Marketplace just throws it into a bit of caos. I don't think FS would be appropiate, but WTT for a like valued part wouldn't violate the Marketplace rules?

shlomo
September 19, 2008, 19:33
Heck, I'm interested.

DYNOMIKE
September 19, 2008, 19:36
Most excellent idea Ssarge... :whiskey:

Seaweed
September 19, 2008, 20:27
I'll get it going

I need BMB parts-

2 ea bullet guides
2 ea buttplate assys
2 ea buttstock swivels
1 ea clip latch
1 ea extractor
1 ea firing pin
1 ea handguard clip
1 ea rear sight aperature
2 ea elevation pinions
1 ea rear sight elevation knob
1 ea safety
1 ea trigger housing

Will trade for other parts I have

Thanks Jim

1MOR
September 19, 2008, 21:20
Seaweed, you are about ten years late for me to help you. I got five Danish Garands from CMP that had mixed Italian parts on them. I bought four Danish garand kits from Aim Surplus that were mostly Italian parts but had new Var barrels. I bought even more Italian parts off Epay and other locations. After completing PB and BMB/BMR restorations and a couple of Garand shooters done on the cheap, I sold 20 pounds of mixed Italian parts to a Garand parts dealer. Obviously, I cherry picked the best and sold the rest!

Same story with H&R, Winchester and SA. One of the things to consider, is not only to match parts by maker but to also match parts by color and wear. Parts that are swapped and do not match by color and wear, make the weapon look like a "parts gun" and detract not only visually but also value wise. I have a H&R that retains original original receiver and barrel only. The weapon had been rebuilt and reparked at arsenal level. Due to some anomaly, the park went to dark purple instead of greenish or grey. All parts on the weapon are "purple" but almost all the parts are mixed SA origin. Changing parts would destroy the value and history of the weapon. Also, by the time you purchase additional parts to complete the all same maker weapon, you may be better off just purchasing a complete matching weapon from the get go. CMP has sold "correct" and "collector" grades which are in the long run, a much better investment.

One of the recommendations I would make, watch CMP for receiver availability. When the Garands dry up in the near future, the value of stripped Garand receivers will increase dramatically. Do not pass up any opportunity to purchase NOS Garand parts!

shlomo
September 19, 2008, 22:06
I am not trying to parts-match. I build the occasional rifle for match shooting, and as such am looking for stuff that is straight and sound, and not necessarily any particular pedigree.

I may have some BMB stuff laying around. I'll check.

I tend to have a small inventory of take-off barrels that are shootable, but not match quality; minor frosting in parts of the bore, 3 or 3.5 throats, and such.

Some wood that is serviceable, but not pretty.

The things I'm normally interested in are straight, tight lower bands, good condition stock ferrules, and elevation knobs/pinions that have a good, sharp tooth on them to click firmly. Late-type windage knobs are also of interest.

Swampy
September 20, 2008, 06:12
Keep me in the loop....

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever

Survey Punk
September 20, 2008, 08:10
There's a trick to tightening up those lower bands...
Generally this is a good idea but the minutia can be mind boggling if we get into appropriate parts, revision numbers, etc.
Building up a good shooter is not so hard.

JB

charles isaac
September 20, 2008, 11:33
Some boards specifically will not allow this! Variety of reasons- the feeling that restored guns depreciate the value of high dollar collector pieces, gun may be sold as an original someday or even blatant fakery. Hell, there are people that think kit FALs should not be built and consider them fakes!

I have an all matching Winchester M1 that needs a lockbar sight and cartouche. It came this way from the DCM (basically, the 19th century name for the CMP, but most of you knew that) this way and I just leave it that way cause thats how the soldiers that used it carried it.

I have restored quite a few sporterized guns to milspec and saved tons of money. 'Real' collectors 'frown' upon this, to say the least.

But hey, it's your gun, make it the way you like!

Seaweed
September 20, 2008, 12:15
I picked up an all PB Garand a few years ago. The gent had an all BMB that I regret passing on. I finally got some BMB receivers(two were offered-consecutive s/ns-and I asked for omly one. They would not separate). I "mined" all my rifles for BMB parts and came up short the list above. Parts I have are a real mix of finishes, from bare metal to almost black, so I decided to refinish all the parts. They look pretty good now.

Now all I need are clothes for the twins.

I do agree there's very few as-issued M1s around. I do have one Springfield that appears to be unissued, and it's a beauty.

Also I hear people ask if they are "kit guns". While I did get a few of the kits when they were on the market, I don't consider the ones I assembled to be kit guns any more than the ones rebuilt by the armed services.

1MOR
September 20, 2008, 12:56
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/897/twins1lr8.jpg

Seaweed
September 20, 2008, 13:21
OK, I haven't tried to post pics here. Where can I go for instructions?

Survey Punk
September 20, 2008, 14:09
By the way, when you buy a CMP "correct" grade M1 all it amounts to is a nice barreled receiver that they have put, what they consider, correct parts on.
I've heard they don't always get it right either.
No different than what we're talking about here.

JB

Deltaten
September 20, 2008, 14:31
Seaweed:
Bottom of the new post window. "add photo" and browse as needed. Must be under 1.3 K IIRC just hit add photo, I believe. Pretty simple. If too large, tthe board wil reject. Just need to resize acccordingly.
That , or go to a host and add URL for the pix.

HTH,
Paul

Deltaten
September 20, 2008, 14:33
test, to see if I clued right :D
OOopS! not avail, as my contributor status has not been updated :rolleyes:

Oh well. pretty self-explanatory

Seaweed
September 20, 2008, 15:17
test

failure

I'm gonna go do something else for a while.

What I wanted to show 1MOR is that I have #6617 & #6618

1MOR
September 20, 2008, 15:24
You can also do it by using a hosting service and then posting the link using the "IMG" button in the editing area.

Ssarge
September 20, 2008, 16:14
Still waiting for the stock and sling to get here for my Beretta Garand from Italy...:sad: