PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat case sizing dies?

xdshooter
September 16, 2008, 18:53
Kinda an odd duck, but my father has a Mauser action wildcat 243 that was made in the 70s. Parent case is a 300 H&H Magnum, necked down to 6mm. Problem is, he never learned (nor did I) that anealing the necks would prevent cracking, and now he's out of brass. I found some new brass, but does Hornady or Lyman make custom sizing dies? Could I send the original case or action to someone? I guess since the 300 H&H headspaces on the cartridge base, the other option is to make a chamber casting?

Hopefully someone smarter than me has encountered such an animal.

[486]
September 16, 2008, 20:58
I think lee does, you send them some fired cases, cracked case necks shouldn't matter. I heard that people were doing this for 7.62x54r dies...

xdshooter
September 18, 2008, 15:55
Ok, I'll give them a call. Someone also said RCBS can build sizing dies to spec. Hopefully I can get the neck down in one or two steps.

shlomo
September 23, 2008, 07:00
Huntington's has case-forming sets for a .243-300H&H. You will not like the price--$250. :eek:

www.huntingtons.com/dies_caseform.html

xdshooter
September 23, 2008, 10:19
Shlomo, thank you very very much. That is awesome that you found or knew of such a set. This is more of a sentimental thing I am doing for my dad, so the price isn't such a big thing. Besides, paying someone to size and load the cases would probably take that much cash anyway.

Also, I was in contact with a friend of the original riflemaker, and some of these rifles are still around. So someone else may want brass too, which may help offset the cost.

Once again the files comes through!

shlomo
September 24, 2008, 19:27
Originally posted by xdshooter
This is more of a sentimental thing I am doing for my dad, so the price isn't such a big thing.

In my view, honoring your Dad honors you as well. Good on ya for being a good son.:bow:

Para Driver
September 24, 2008, 22:35
Originally posted by xdshooter
Ok, I'll give them a call. Someone also said RCBS can build sizing dies to spec. Hopefully I can get the neck down in one or two steps.

yes, RCBS will do this...

it shouldn't be hard to neck down and fireform cases.. I haven't done it in a while, but IIRC it was 5-10 grains of bullseye and some cornmeal on top of that..

koathmann
September 25, 2008, 14:22
hornady builds awsome custom dies

TerryN
September 26, 2008, 20:30
Redding and CH4D also make custom dies.