PDA

View Full Version : .38 Super +P in a .38 Special +P Revolver?

goldenspurholderx2
September 09, 2008, 19:54
Is this OK, or am I asking for trouble?

STGThndr
September 09, 2008, 20:08
Big trouble I should think. Different size cases, and much higher pressure from the .38 Super. Also, the Super is much more expensive, why not use the less expensive Special in the weapon it was made for?. This is like using .357mag pressure rounds in a .38. Not safe, not wise, could blow off some fingers and eyes.

goldenspurholderx2
September 09, 2008, 22:35
I kinda figured it was bad. By accident I shot not 1, but 2 full cylinders thru my airweight. 10 rounds, I don't see any signs of stress on the revolver. I just had a real bad day at the range today. It's my carry a lot and shoot a little weapon, so I didn't notice it shooting hot until my hand hurting about round #8.

STGThndr
September 09, 2008, 23:11
You shot those in an airweight Smith??? Im surprised they even fit the cylinder. Maybe the semi rim caught the rear of the cylinder enuff to "headspace" it. The pressures must have been remarkable; not to mention the recoil. How was the accuracy? I sold my airweight Smith years ago and dont remember if it was set for plusP or not... This is not something to be repeated, for safety's sake!~ According to stats published by leverguns.com, SAAMI max +P pressure for .38 special is 18500 while .38 Super +P is 36500 cup, a MAJOR difference!

Survey Punk
September 10, 2008, 06:33
Woo-hooo-hooo-hoo-hoo-hoo!!!
WHOA, DUDE!! :eek: :eek:

How many fingers?

JB

Hippiecx44
September 10, 2008, 13:54
They do it all the time in Mexico where the Treente ocho Supra is hot stuff and ammo is hard to get. You can dimple the rim in a couple of places with a punch and the extractor star will grab and extract

tracyballard
September 10, 2008, 19:38
well, there you go. if it's done by the mexicans it can't go wrong.

goldenspurholderx2
September 10, 2008, 23:14
Not something I plan on repeating. I was a little sick to my stomach when I realized what I just did. I had just broken the front sight adjustment screw on my sig556's first ever outing, so I was already a little pissed and distracted, probably why I didn't realize something could be wrong until the 8th round. For academic purposes it grouped 10" at 25 meters out of the 2 and whatever inch barrel.

K.O.A.M.
September 11, 2008, 08:48
Originally posted by goldenspurholderx2
Not something I plan on repeating. I was a little sick to my stomach when I realized what I just did. I had just broken the front sight adjustment screw on my sig556's first ever outing, so I was already a little pissed and distracted, probably why I didn't realize something could be wrong until the 8th round. For academic purposes it grouped 10" at 25 meters out of the 2 and whatever inch barrel.

I hate those days when nothing works and you break stuff. I put a .40 into my .357 Sig 226 on one of those days. Thank God it wouldn't chamber.

Hippiecx44
September 11, 2008, 18:57
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracyballard
well, there you go. if it's done by the mexicans it can't go wrong. [/QUOT

I wasn't saying that it was all right, just that it was commonly done as a "field expedent" means of using available ammunition.

My post was an attempt to pass on what might be usefull information. If I was facing down an army of Zombies (or Mexicans, for that matter) I would be tickled to death to have an Airweight stuffed to the brim with Super +Pi n my hand rather than a ham sandwich. 9mm Largo will work, too

On a similar note .32 Long can be used in Nagant revolvers and I have been told that .38 Spec. can be fired in a 30-30. Supposedly the bullet swedges down after it jumps through the chamber and is nearly silent. YMMV.

Hope this helps someone, sometime. I'm reminded of Cormac Mcarthys hero in "The Road" that was trying to figure a way to remove loaded primers from .45 ACP rounds to reload his .32 revolver cases. Hope it never gets that bad for me and mine.

tracyballard
September 11, 2008, 19:03
Originally posted by Hippiecx44
I would be tickled to death to have an Airweight stuffed to the brim with Super +Pi n my hand rather than a ham sandwich.

what if it was one of the new Wendy's baconators?

I have been told that .38 Spec. can be fired in a 30-30. Supposedly the bullet swedges down after it jumps through the chamber and is nearly silent. YMMV.

I really want to see the youtube of that.

Hippiecx44
September 11, 2008, 20:09
Originally posted by tracyballard

what if it was one of the new Wendy's baconators?

damn, Dude, you really know how to present a guy with the hard choices, don't ya? Gott Sie dank I got two hands

fire for effect
September 11, 2008, 20:19
I always thought taking 'revolver chambered in 9mm, and rechambering it for .38 Super would be a fun conversion.

Hippiecx44
September 11, 2008, 22:01
Originally posted by fire for effect
I always thought taking 'revolver chambered in 9mm, and rechambering it for .38 Super would be a fun conversion.

It would sure make more gun out of it. Dunno why it wouldnt work good, the Super is .356.

Powderfinger
September 14, 2008, 10:22
I'd buy a lottery ticket.:tongue:

Deltaten
September 14, 2008, 12:57
BTDT...;)

I cut .38 brass down to Super specs and loaded accordingly.
Quite the barker out of the 4" m66 bbl. I don't remember the actual data, but I duplicated the Super pretty easily. Used 110 and 125 gr jsp's over some odd quantity of Clay's.

Accuracy was only so-so...so I shyte-canned the idea . STill have half-a-hundred brass made up..
Hmmmmm?
Paul

xcpd69
September 21, 2008, 11:31
Originally posted by goldenspurholderx2
Is this OK, or am I asking for trouble?

You are one lucky man. Go buy a lottery ticket.

SAAMI specs for 38 Spl +P is 20,000 psi. A proof load is 50% over that or 30,000 psi.

Are you sitting down?

SAAMI specs for 38 Super is 36,500 psi. That's higher than the 44 Magnum.
You are extremely lucky that thing didn't grenade on you.

I believe I would have that pistol checked THOROUGHLY before using it again.

tubalcane
September 30, 2008, 14:08
I have a revolver that looks for all the world like a Smith model 19 but it was made by Phillips and somebody. It wll shoot any "38 caliber" cartridge from 38 Smith and Wesson to 38 Super or 9MM. (9 calibers I think) It has a really complex ejector wheel that holds everything. It shoots best with .357 size bullets. I'm told Colt bought the rights but never made it