PDA

View Full Version : Friggin' USPS!

Ssarge
September 04, 2008, 18:47
I got my as new Beretta Garand in today. It's beautiful! Problem is the apes at the Post Office managed to crack the stock from the inlet for the trigger group back past the pistol grip all the way through the stock! The box wasn't buggered, and the rifle was packaged nicely with bubble wrap and extra paper at the points that usually get dinged.
So someone had to either slam it down, or drop it butt first from a pretty good height!
Thankfully it was insured, and on gunbroker there is a guy in Italy selling complete new stock sets for the BM59 in 7.62, which is what I have.
I just hate losing the original stock, it's a beaut, but un repairable with that large of a crack right above the wrist of the stock.... :redface: :sad:

DYNOMIKE
September 04, 2008, 19:07
I would be SICK......:|

I hope you find a Stock as nice, and this is certainly confirmation of WHY we should ALWAYS insure our packages..

newfalguy101
September 04, 2008, 19:07
Hmmmmmmmm

If the box wasnt fouled, I would have probably concluded the seller is the culprit............

shortround
September 04, 2008, 19:23
Originally posted by newfalguy101
Hmmmmmmmm

If the box wasnt fouled, I would have probably concluded the seller is the culprit............

Not necessarily. I just got a beautiful M44 from the CMP. Shipped in a padded box like they do the Garands and all. Only problem was the stock was completely cracked thru at the wrist of the stock. The only thing holding it together is the trigger guard and a thin sliver of wood. Absolutely no damage to the outside of the box.

Ssarge
September 04, 2008, 20:21
I don't suspect the seller at all. I have very good photos from the seller. He has a large number of positive with zero negative feedbacks from serious collectors. The rifle was insured for the full value, so I figure they won't mind giving me the money for a new stock. (I found a really nice Italian .308 Garand stock on gunbroker, and my Garand is a .308 rifle!)
It's the first time USPS has really screwed one up. All they had to do was drop it a couple of feet straight on the end of the box and that would have cracked the stock without deforming the box.

Bentley8
September 04, 2008, 21:01
I had a mauser 1912/61 stock that was broken at the wrist. I used cyanoacrylate glue and a threaded brass rod to put it back together. It worked just fine and has held up without any problem.

I would go ahead and get the other stock but I would turn the original stock into a repair project.

Edited to correct what kind of glue I used. I didn't use Gorilla glue, I used cyanoacrylates from woodcraft.com: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=346, specifically, the "Hot Stuff". Works wonders.

davedude
September 04, 2008, 21:43
Dude make sure you follow thru with the post office. They do not like to pay claims or even process them. You might get lucky and have a positive experience but don't count on it.
I got my handmade left hand Tulle style fusil de chasse .62cal flintlock delivered to me cracked at the wrist. Beautiful full figure hard rock maple. The post office lost my claim or any information about it.
I will send the rifle to a pro stockfixer eventualy and looks like I will eat the cost of repair.
Best of luck.

Dave Dude

Goliad
September 05, 2008, 09:42
Somebody (Numrich I think) has some good Italian Garand stocks in SGN, but I think they are USGI shortened to .308 length. Good luck, and definitely keep the original.

2barearms
September 05, 2008, 10:16
Call Reese Surplus they have stocks, Andy from Italy does have a deal
on real folders though. The shipper has to file the claim.

Ssarge
September 05, 2008, 13:02
The seller is filing the claim today. I think the post office would rather pay for a replacement stock at $145 rather than for the entire rifle as it was insured!

Para Driver
September 05, 2008, 13:09
they will tell you it was not properly packaged, and therefore the shippers fault..

Rotor
September 05, 2008, 14:06
Ssarge

Better triple check the interchangeability with the Garand family of stocks.

I asked Reese about the BM 59 folder they have for use on M1 tanker. Specifically the blurb on their site that says " may be adapted to fit US M1 Garands" Coleen gave me info in two different emails saying the the the BM59 stock will fit on a US M1 Garand and that it will be to shorter from the back of the action to the front. You may have to order one to find out.

These are the variations I think I understand.

USGI M1 Garand stock 30-06; standard length ( all makes)
Danish M1 Garand stock 30-06; standard length
Italian M1 Garand stock 7.62 ; in shorter than standard length ( available from Sarco and Numrich and may be cut down USGI or New Italian)
Italian M1 Garand stock 30-06; 7.62 cut down USGI or New Italian stock restored to standard length with a splice ( available from Sarco and Numrich)
Nigerian M1 stock formerly from Reese; standard length
Italian BM 59 stock; ?????? to shorter than std USGI M

Andy in Italy has BM 62 stocks on Gunbroker from time to time as well. More ??? on that fit.

Definitely keep the busted one. I have seen excellent screw and glue repairs that soldiered on.

Got to see some pics of the crack please.

JR

Ssarge
September 05, 2008, 14:33
I measured, mine is the 1/2" shorter .308 stock and the set I'm getting is NOS Italian with PB markings and is correct for my rifle.
I found where one went on another site for a bit more than twice what mine went for!