PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it it?

gunnut1
September 02, 2008, 19:01
I have a SW5 that is just wanting to be made into a SBR with a can.

My problem is this. If I SBR the rifle,get approval for the can, I will have the ATF in my hip pocket.

If I want to take it across state lines then I have to get tha atf to tell me it is alright.

And I feel it will make the rifle a pain to sell should I ever want to.

I I correct or I am just being concenrned over nothing.

Of course, I have nothing to hideor be concerned aboput. I just don't want the ATF in my hip pocket..

And I will not use the trust route. I have a feeling that this route might come to a stop one of these days.

perryturner
September 02, 2008, 19:28
I have five NFA weapons. First was about eight years ago. I've never felt like I "..had the ATF in my hip pocket." I'm not going to say you're concerned about nothing, but I read http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi most every day, and I don't hear about a lot of people like you and I being screwed over by the BATF.

BTW, you have to have approval to transport an SPR out of state, but not a suppressor. Do yourself a favor and read http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt It's a little old, so some of the state info is no longer correct.

Artful
September 08, 2008, 09:25
Originally posted by gunnut1
I have a SW5 that is just wanting to be made into a SBR with a can.

My problem is this. If I SBR the rifle,get approval for the can, I will have the ATF in my hip pocket.

If I want to take it across state lines then I have to get tha atf to tell me it is alright.

And I feel it will make the rifle a pain to sell should I ever want to.

I I correct or I am just being concenrned over nothing.

Of course, I have nothing to hideor be concerned aboput. I just don't want the ATF in my hip pocket..

And I will not use the trust route. I have a feeling that this route might come to a stop one of these days.

I have had Class 3 for over 20 years and no problems from ATFE
SBR does limit where you can take it as Illegal in some states - same is true for you silencer - not a problem with getting permission to transport from ATF and you can fill out the paperwork for a year at a time - so first of the year fax in saying I'll be taking it to NV or AZ get approval and for the rest of the year your golden. No form to file to transport you suppressor. The people who couldn't pass a background check or be willing to pay the $200 for your SBR may not be the poeple you want to sell a gun too anyways, but it will limit some potential buyers. All in All, it depends how much YOU want it.

I wouldn't feel the need to let it stop me if I wanted it. ;)

gunnut1
September 08, 2008, 16:58
Coll artful, thanks.

I guess I am worried about nothing.

So after I get the SW5 utterly reliable, I get-r-done!!

K.O.A.M.
September 09, 2008, 12:09
SBR's are a lot of fun. I've SBR'd my M1A1 Thompson and Mini Uzi with the proper forms. I'd love to get a Sterling and SBR it, but the last time one came up for sale it was right after I'd bought something else big.

fastfreddy
September 09, 2008, 19:45
I guess it's a bit OT, but this raises a question. If the class III SBR with silencer is a C&R and the holder has a type 3 FFL, can it be transported across state lines? For example, an integrally silenced C&R Sten?

diana-ar15
September 09, 2008, 21:01
Originally posted by fastfreddy
I guess it's a bit OT, but this raises a question. If the class III SBR with silencer is a C&R and the holder has a type 3 FFL, can it be transported across state lines? For example, an integrally silenced C&R Sten?

everything can be transported across state lines with a 5320.20

if the gun is C&R and is held under an 03 C&R FFL then no 5320.20 is needed and none is needed for silencers;)

Artful
September 10, 2008, 22:19
Originally posted by fastfreddy
As long as it's legal in the destination then yep

like he said fax in your request get approved and go.

Lee Carpentieri
September 14, 2008, 15:32
Hey Vern/Gunnut-1, The rules to private ownership is different as compared to a FFL/Sot 3 dealer or a C+R collector that is licensed by Batfe. Batfe has never came to my house for inspections at all and can't unless myself or others violate local laws pertaining to said local laws, You know domestic violence and stuff like that. I've owned NFA weapons since 1979 and still do and have not so much as heard a peep from them. Remember your only buying a tax stamp and proving that you have a need for said weapon or device and that Batfe knows who has what in the NFA registry. On the back where the form four asks why you want the weapon or device, All it takes is one word, INVESTMENT. OR COLLECTOR. NOW THE DOWN SIDE ABOUT SBR'S AS I SEE IT AND YOU CAN LOOK AROUND ON THE BOARDS IS especially the clones is you don't alsways get what your asking for it when you sell it as compared to a real HK weapon that has been SBR'ED Same with silencers in retail sales as cans/silencers can still be manufactured for new sales. Just play by the rules of transporting, which means always have you paperwork with you when on the road or at a different locations other than your house with the new form 4 toys, You can even make copies to take along with you for everything that is on a form 4, Because say you do get pulled over by the cops for something and you let them know up front you have registered weapons or devices with you in the vehicle If THEY ASK IF YOU HAVE ANY FIREARMS IN THE VEHICLE WHICH THESE DAYS THEY DO IN ALOT OF AREAS IN THE COUNTRY and they ask to see them make sure you explain that thier transferable and that even they can own them if they live in a local that doesn't restrict it and show them the form 4's to prove it. I've had to educate more cops than I care to talk about, Because most don't know squat about NFA weapons at all. Better to be up front with them even though it puts a dampner on the day. Just remember, Were ever the weapons or devices go the paperwork goes too, Even to the local ranges you might have to show proof of transfer/ownership But otherwise, Have fun brother. Lee.