PDA

View Full Version : M1A Scout Questions

dfletcher
August 31, 2008, 23:29
I bought an M1A Scout over the weekend, have a few quick questions. CA has a waiting period, so I don't have the gun with me.

The gun has a scope base mounted forward, I like the set up and may use it with an EER scope. But if not, can the mount be removed and a regular forend cover used instead?

Also, I use a Sadlak on my M1A Loaded, but it sits a touch high I think. Anyone use the ARMS or a similar mount that sits low?

g5
September 01, 2008, 00:16
The scout scope mount can be removed after you field strip the rifle/carbine. It has some allen screws holding two aluminum mount pieces together.

No experience with the ARMS.

panzertruppe
September 01, 2008, 00:22
dfletcher,

You can remove the forward mount on the Scout, but then, like removinig the top on a Chevy Blazer, may never be same again.... But you can do it... I haven't done it personally, but looked into the entire operation of attaching one to my SOCOM 2(SC2)... Sleeve type design secured w/ screws. Might wanna index/mark the mount permanently when and if you remove, then returning as close to factory alignment might be easier.

I own an ARMS 180, and it's for sale. I don't know if it's really much lower than the SADLAK(have one on my loaded NM). But there are some details about the 2 you mite wanna know.

ARMS 180, good product...... SADLAK too.... If you know the following facts/details already, pardon me. The SADLAK has a 4 degree relief milled into the surface(underside of mount) facing the ejection port area to ensure ejection when the extractor spring gets old/weak/worn out. The new or strong extractor spring ensures a lateral ejection of the spent shell. As it gets weaker, this lateral ejection becomes more slanted and vertical. When this happens, the lower mounts will interfere w/ proer ejection. The shell will stove pipe between the Op Rod and the receiver if you are using the ARMS 180(only time I ever had a afilure on my M1As) and ext spring gets weak. Again, SALDLAK remedied this w/ 4 degree relief.

I really like the GEN III mount from SA, but if you think the SADLAK is to high, the GEN III will be a tower....

Hope this helps, pm me if wanna talk ARMS 180 purchase... I really wanna liquidate this thing and pick up a scope for the SC 2 or a BUIS for the SIG 556. ARMS 180 is good tool, just have to have strong springs ever so many rounds...

panzertruppe

2barearms
September 01, 2008, 08:17
Get yourself a Basset Machine mount. A quick gooogle search will yeeld
the results you need. I've had one on one of my M14's and to say it's an
improvement is an understatemnt. The mount has several features that
make some of the other mounts obsolete. First it's repeatability, returns to
1/2 min after reinstallation, you don't have to to remove the stripper clip guide and you don't need a cheek rest generally. It also weighs 1/2 what
the Steel mounts do. I don't like using the irons with the mount installed so
it's the mount for me.

panzertruppe
September 01, 2008, 10:55
But CAN you STILL use the iron sites w/ that variety 2bare? Sounds like something to look into....

panzertruppe

dfletcher
September 01, 2008, 23:31
Originally posted by 2barearms
Get yourself a Basset Machine mount. A quick gooogle search will yeeld
the results you need. I've had one on one of my M14's and to say it's an
improvement is an understatemnt. The mount has several features that
make some of the other mounts obsolete. First it's repeatability, returns to
1/2 min after reinstallation, you don't have to to remove the stripper clip guide and you don't need a cheek rest generally. It also weighs 1/2 what
the Steel mounts do. I don't like using the irons with the mount installed so
it's the mount for me.

You know, I did a search before I read this post & saw the Bassett. Hadn't heard of it before, I'm a little slow to try something new like that. Have to say it did seem intriguing, but I do shoot left handed, not sure how well the scope would line up. Also, I wish his site did a better job of describing how it's anchored - is it just a single screw?

gunshack
September 03, 2008, 12:21
Before buying any mount for a SAI M1A one should check the scope mounting grooves on the left side of the receiver. Sadlak makes an inexpensive kit that allows you to do the checking yourself, but all you really need are two gauge pins (0.141" and 0.156") and follow Sadlak's instructions (http://www.sadlak.com/si_custom_sm_fitting.html). If your grooves are not to USGI specifications your best bet is sticking with a Sadlak mount custom fit to your rifle.

About 80% of the SAI rifles that I've checked have grooves that are not to USGI specs.

ETA: In my opinion the barrel mounted scout mount is garbage. If you put a scope on it at all, make sure it's a scope you don't mind cooking at 190 degrees fahrenheit for the duration of your range session.

dfletcher
September 03, 2008, 15:26
I've got the kit from my other Sadlak, will check the new Scout specs. I've used scout front mounted scopes before, but always on a bolt rifle where rapid fire isn't an issue.

Pretty sure I'll go ARMS.

panzertruppe
September 07, 2008, 21:00
ARMS 180 still for sale then,

I cannot keep feeding and changing out extractor springs... dfletcher??? I'll make you a deal... Didn't get a response from my PM, but still here at the house waiting for a new home...

panzertruppe

dfletcher
September 08, 2008, 02:28
Originally posted by panzertruppe

I cannot keep feeding and changing out extractor springs... dfletcher??? I'll make you a deal... Didn't get a response from my PM, but still here at the house waiting for a new home...

panzertruppe

Sorry about that - didn't see the PM, but I'm not on here that often. Got an ARMS at this weekend's gun show. Thanks for the offer though.

gunshack
September 08, 2008, 16:56
Originally posted by panzertruppe

panzertruppe

May I ask what is happening to your extractor and what the scope mount has to do with it?

panzertruppe
September 09, 2008, 14:09
Yes sir you may,

It's not the extractor but the extractor spring. Once it weakens, the trajectory of the ejected cartridge changes from near/approx horizontal to a vertical/horizontal path. Basically the shell ejects more diagonally and up. This is why SADLAK built in the 4 degree relief in their design. it deflects the brass out of the breech due to the path of the shell caused by a weakened ejector spring. It defelcts right out instead of back into it or into a loitering position that causes the op rod to close on and stove pipe/trap the ejecting shell...

The extractor claw is just fine and so is the spring, but not when the low riding 180 mount is in place. I've debated whether to lock the 180 in the mill and relieve the area I saw 100% of my stove pipes. Now after seing the SADLAK, I mite do a 4 degree relief... I know relieving about .125" of material about .25-.5 inches from front right portion of the 180 will be easier, but I'm hoping to sell the mount and get another gen 3 or SADLAK..

panzertruppe

gunshack
September 09, 2008, 15:13
Thank you sir, It makes perfect sense now.

Good luck getting your baby shooting happy. :beer:

panzertruppe
September 10, 2008, 17:46
Oh Dfletch:(,

I had a GREAT deal for you... Sorry you missed it also... Well, you want a SECOND I have your equipment. I was prepared to let it go for 120.00. ARMS 18 mount, pardon using "180"... And same goes for any one else wanting it, 120.00 and it's yours... Mite be negotiable, but if I start cutting on it like Gunshack says Hawk has done, it's mine then:)

panzertruppe

gunshack
September 10, 2008, 19:42
I'm sorry if I said Hawk, I meant Warbird.

Check out the link below. The Smith Ent rifle about half way down the page has a modified ARMS mount on it. There's another on the 18" rifle near the bottom of the page, and he shows the mount a little below that. I don't think Warbird does the mods anymore, but maybe he'll chime in.

http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/M14-M1A.htm

panzertruppe
September 14, 2008, 17:40
Wow gunshack....

He "hogged" a ton of material off the ARMS 18, from front to rear... That would DEFINITELY clear the path for the ejecting round... I could only one slot front and back on the rail... Well, I don't envision milling that much off, but good to see what the mount is tolerant of and still fxnal...

I was considering removing material from the front right where I got consistent stovepiping... That would leave slots to mount from rear fwd to all but last inch or 2 and looks like I can leave the last slot in place fwd of the relieved area if necesssary...

Thanks a mill for link/pics...

panzertruppe