PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Bolt Handle on an FN PBR?

2barearms
August 31, 2008, 19:30
I saw an FN SPR with an R&D Tactical bolt handle, looked pretty cool. Do they help any or do they just get in the way. Has anyone here put one on their
FN PBR xp yet.

tac-40
August 31, 2008, 19:38
I have fired one rifle with a tactical handle and for the life of me, couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. I can see where bigger is better when cranking on a Moisen or other sticky action, but for the high end rifles with smooth actions, why bother. If you have problems with extraction it is not the rifle but the ammo.

Some say it is to allow controlled feed and positive bolt lock up. With the FN PBR and mauser style claw, you are not pushing the extractor over the rim but the rim under the claw. No pressure needed to do that, normally.

The only other benefit I can see for it is if you are shooting with gloves on.

These are only my opinions and maybe someone else with more experience (someone who actually owns one) will chime in and tell us what they are really good for.

MAINER
September 01, 2008, 09:02
The "Official" xplaination from one of them wanting to sell em.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Tactical Bolt Knob

This oversized bolt knob allows fast, easy access to the bolt, even with gloved hands. No more holding the bolt handle with two fingers to pass the scope bell. The extra size and length gives unparalleled control of the bolt. Provides extra leverage for stuck rounds. 7075 T6 Aluminum alloy to keep the weight down and a Mil-spec hard coat anodized finish to last a lifetime. P/N BO 306-

Might be handy for competition where a little faster reload time could make a difference.
I don't see how this thing could be installed without whacking the knob off the existing bolt.
That ain't happerining on my PBR. :uhoh: Winy Model 70 and Mauser bolt handles always got the job done for me. But, I don't shoot in "Tactical type" competions.

2barearms
September 01, 2008, 09:37
Originally posted by MAINER
The "Official" xplaination from one of them wanting to sell em.
Tactical Bolt Knob

This oversized bolt knob allows fast, easy access to the bolt, even with gloved hands. No more holding the bolt handle with two fingers to pass the scope bell. The extra size and length gives unparalleled control of the bolt. Provides extra leverage for stuck rounds. 7075 T6 Aluminum alloy to keep the weight down and a Mil-spec hard coat anodized finish to last a lifetime. P/N BO 306-

Might be handy for competition where a little faster reload time could make a difference.
I don't see how this thing could be installed without whacking the knob off the existing bolt.
That ain't happerining on my PBR. :uhoh: Winy Model 70 and Mauser bolt handles always got the job done for me. But, I don't shoot in "Tactical type" competions.

Yep, you gotta saw off the knob and thread the stub, the tactical knob
slides ovr the stub. I doubt seriously if I'd do it to my SPR or my PBR.
There's no way to make it whole again.

splattermatic
September 01, 2008, 21:22
they do it, cuz it's tacticool....