PDA

View Full Version : metal heat treating information

Snapper
August 27, 2000, 00:25
I am making some of my own FAL "special tools" and need to know how to harden the steel... I can't find my high school metal shop book. Do you know of an easy way. (ie..heat cherry red,cool slowly in oil???)
dont remember if that softens or hardens.
Would you suggest a case hardening compound?
Any help from you or anyone would bee appreciated!! http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: gary.jeter ]

K5OIT
August 27, 2000, 07:13
Go to <rec.crafts.metalworking> newsgroup. You will find lots of answers and people who will help. Also try to find boookseller who handles ARGUS publications from the UK. They publish a fantastic "how to" simplified stuff re: meatalworking of all sorts. Years ago I bought one (and still have) called Hardening and Tempering Engineers Tools by Gentry and revised by Westbury. Another book you should loook for is Elementary Metallurgy and Metallography by Shrager. These books are not some far out tomes. They are practical books for a person who can read and has average intelligence and is willing to experiment. Best of luck!

K5OIT
August 27, 2000, 07:17
Well I see the address I sent didn't go thru so I will type it again a different way. Go to the newsgroups and find rec.crafts.metalworking. That is where you can find help. Again, best of luck!

Mfg Eng
August 28, 2000, 14:52
In order to heat treat metal you need to know the specific alloy, it's present condition, and desired results. Some metals will not respond to heat treatment and techniques vary so much between different materials, I can't even give you general directions. I like to use precipitation hardening steels (17-4PH stainless) because you can finish machine then heat treat at 900 degrees without quenching or tempering. Even the "quench & temper" steels vary significantly with austenitizing temperatures and quenching mediums (air, oil, water, salt). Email me with some specifics and I'll try to help you out. Unfortunately there's not much you can do in your garage.

me
August 29, 2000, 10:21
Originally posted by Snapper:
I am making some of my own FAL "special tools" and need to know how to harden the steel... I can't find my high school metal shop book. Do you know of an easy way. (ie..heat cherry red,cool slowly in oil???)
dont remember if that softens or hardens.
Would you suggest a case hardening compound?
Any help from you or anyone would bee appreciated!! http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif

You'll have to start by using proper tool
steel suitable for heat-tretment - and
most mild steel isn't.

As Mfg/Eng correctly pointed out - heat
treatment varies widely from steel to steel,
the steel manufacturer should be able to
give you a steel treating chart.

It's possible to do your own heat-treatment
with a blow-torch - but only for those steels
with forgiving (i.e similar over a wide
range) heat-treatment characteristics.

Best results are usually achieved with
a precision controled vacum, induction heating, heat-treating oven. Quenching is
achieve with liquid nitrogen.

Reasonable results are achieved with just
a precision heat-treating oven.

Passable results for some steels can be
achieved using a blow torch and quenching
in brine or oil. Your probably thinking
of Silver Steel (Cr/Mn/V alloyed high-carbon
steel) as far as heating to cherry red is
concerned.

Your resulting tools are likely to be
warped by 1/100 D (D: diameter of tool) or
more and my vary in hardness by 10 points
or so on the Rockwell scale.

For professional results, go to a heat-treating shop.

-- ME
far as heating

W.E.G.
July 30, 2001, 14:15
moved to the FAQ

Jen
July 30, 2001, 20:41
Gary,

Watch where you're moving stuff ;)

Move to the FAQ forum.. for real this time!