PDA

View Full Version : Truck gun idea and ?'s

13th Warrior
August 22, 2008, 15:46
Hey.....

I have a Yugo mauser that either needs to find another home or get turned into a truck gun. I didnt pay squat for it a few years ago so I thought a project might be in order. Any good links or advice out there? I have searched the net and have found numerous sites but I dont feel like regestering every time I want to dig a little deeper in their forums.

Thanks in advance.

xtremerange
August 22, 2008, 15:58
What do you think you want to do with it? The sky is the limit with these things.

Seems like it would make a good truck gun as is?

StoneyCreekMrMauser
August 22, 2008, 16:01
Well, this is a good place to start. First things first, what are you trying to accomplish in making the Yugo into a truck gun? Are you going for a carbine format or standard short rifle? Different caliber? Scoped? Sporter style?

As is, the Yugos are great little guns but with some tweaking they do get better.

Parts? Try some of these:

e-gunparts.com (Numrich, good starting place)

ssporters.com (Springfield Sporters, somewhat cheaper than Numrich)

sporterexress.com (custom touches)

brownells.com (all kinds of goodies)

sarcoinc.com (parts)

boydsgunstocks.com (gun stocks from mild to wild)

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what you want.

Munster30
August 22, 2008, 21:43
I saw a Yugo that had a 19 inch 7X57 mil contour barrel on it. Stock forend was shortened and a 4 power pistol scope mounted scout rifle config.
She was a beaut in a neat little package.
The 7X57 barrels, in the white, are available from Sarco, they fit the large ring mauser actions.

Heat
August 23, 2008, 01:30
I just leave mine plain-jane and carry a bandoleer of ammo for it (New-handloads)..may scope it later but quite frankly, for a truck gun..practical is best ..iron sites are good out to 200-300 yds for most situations---seemed to serve the soldiers in that config. just bueno!
I see ALOT of guys that cant hang enough gadgets and gizmos on rifles..they usually end up weighing 20 lbs and fall apart if rattled around in a vehicle

Blackmore
August 23, 2008, 06:16
I can't remember who on here built this, but I've always thought it would be a very handy rifle to drive around with and have lusted after it. :love:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Enfield_scout1.jpg

As HEAT pointed out you might want to lose the scope depending on how hard it gets bounced around behind the seat.

shlomo
August 23, 2008, 06:39
Originally posted by Blackmore
I can't remember who on here built this, but I've always thought it would be a very handy rifle to drive around with and have lusted after it. :love:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Enfield_scout.jpg

As HEAT pointed out you might want to lose the scope depending on how hard it gets bounced around behind the seat.

Well, by God! I think I just found my next project. I have just the rifle and scope, but with a sewer pipe bore that needs replacing.

Whose stock is that? It looks to have proper geometry, unlike the plastic crap with Monte Carlo cheekpiece I keep seeing.

MAINER
August 23, 2008, 07:17
"Group buy" ?

That gun would likely resurect the "Smelly Rifle Company" :bow:

Blackmore
August 23, 2008, 07:24
Originally posted by Blackmore
I can't remember who on here built this...
Found it!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91626&highlight=Enfield

Landjaeger took the picture down but in subsequent posts talks about it and lists some of the components.

HTH, shlomo

shlomo
August 23, 2008, 07:59
So, that's a Ram-line, eh? I've gotta look into it.

The above Scouted-up Smelly is fitted up exactly like one of my favorite rifles--a .308 Winchester LW carbine, 20", with a Leupold Scout scope and butt cuff. Since mine goes back to the mid-80s, it is old school; the scope has the straight-front tube, and the sling is a Milt Sparks CW, instead of the ChingSling.

It has been a great all-around rifle, but it is blued and the wood is still very nice, which renders it unfit for a truck gun in the humid south.

The No.4 I have is done up as an iron sighted version of the above, intended originally as a rainy weather replacement for the Winny, since I hate getting good equipment wet. But the stock geometry sucks, and the tube coppers up after about 10 shots and starts throwing knuckleballs.

I'd really like to rebarrel it to .308, but allegedly the metallurgy is not up to handling 50,000 CUP. And then theres the mag question...

Much to consider.

Thanks for the link.:beer:

Blackmore
August 23, 2008, 08:24
Originally posted by MAINER
"Group buy" ?

I'm working on putting together a Ramline furniture and XS Sight Systems scout mount package.

StoneyCreekMrMauser
August 23, 2008, 10:44
Originally posted by Munster30
I saw a Yugo that had a 19 inch 7X57 mil contour barrel on it. Stock forend was shortened and a 4 power pistol scope mounted scout rifle config.
She was a beaut in a neat little package.
The 7X57 barrels, in the white, are available from Sarco, they fit the large ring mauser actions.

That's kinda what I'm doing to one of my old rifles. It's fairly simple to do if you've got the tools (barrel vise, action wrench, receiver tap, chamber reamers, HS gauges, some other little parts and such, all the crap I ain't got). Just be aware that the 7x57 barrels DO NOT take the std German rear sight base (ask how I know) and you'll have to experiment with which one fits. Numrich has a wide selection of course and also the barrels in refurbished/reparked condition for either $35 or $40 (can't remember which). The one I bought is pristine in bore and if it had any crud on it at one time it sure as hell don't look it. Look under "M1922 Brazilian" under "Mauser" parts listing and you'll find both.

Or leave it as-is...

DYNOMIKE
August 23, 2008, 12:05
Although I'm not sure why I see knowone has mentioned the M44/M38 Mosin..
Maybe the rifle type would not fit the OP's requirements but I sure think it would make for a Sweet Truck/Brush gun..

Cheap to buy and with a Low Mag LER Scope it seems like a good option to me?
Accurate, powerful, andif ya went M44 ya have the added bonus of the Self contained PIG Sticker.. :shades:

Now I love that Enfield based scout rifle in the PICS and IF I had an Enfield action and a Trashed bore that would be a Good option as well..

Also I think if "TRUCK GUN" is the MAIN criteria the Humble SKS would fill that niche very well I think..

Anyway my $.02 and worth what ya paid for it.. :tongue: :beer:

13th Warrior
August 23, 2008, 16:58
Wow, lots of useful info guys and I really appreciate everything everyone said. I was thinking about shortening it down some and doing as little as possible, still keeping the 8mm barrel. I am no gunsmith although I did build my own FAL a few years back. I have plenty to think about, thanks again

:biggrin:

Heat
August 23, 2008, 18:54
Originally posted by 13th Warrior
Wow, lots of useful info guys and I really appreciate everything everyone said. I was thinking about shortening it down some and doing as little as possible, still keeping the 8mm barrel. I am no gunsmith although I did build my own FAL a few years back. I have plenty to think about, thanks again

:biggrin:
Yep, I left mine 8mm..there are still quite a few folks selling cases of 8mm pretty cheap, yugoslav comes to mind..or you can load your own as the components are readily available..brownells has the 308/30-06 barrels in military step..question for anyone that knows..do those barrels fit the yugo m48 24/47 rifles or just the k98's?
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_8mm_FMJ.html
http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

Heres a rifle and article explaining it that caught my eye:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2woir8y.jpg
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/mauser_090607/

StoneyCreekMrMauser
August 25, 2008, 17:01
They'll fit the Yugos and K98s. Both are large-ring actions and will take the same barrels. Despite the Intermediate action length a few parts will interchange.

Azrial
August 26, 2008, 02:33
What a neat little project! It is a different direction then I took my trunk gun, but I like it!

Heat
August 26, 2008, 02:45
Im going to get a barreled action and do the Mauser scout idea..seems like a fantastic way to go for a dependable, accurate and hard hitting rifle without raising to many eyebrows if your pulled over..I really like that Mauser in the Rifleshooter Magazine article!

shlomo
August 26, 2008, 07:02
Just don't get caught with that scope ( :eek: ) in Denver.

Munster30
August 26, 2008, 11:19
Originally posted by shlomo
Just don't get caught with that scope ( :eek: ) in Denver. Only if you're a dumbass, drive erratically with a suspended license and all that shit in you vehicle.
Anyhow Heat, that's a nice little scout rifle pic you posted.
Im going to get a barreled action and do the Mauser scout idea..seems like a fantastic way to go for a dependable, accurate and hard hitting rifle without raising to many eyebrows if your pulled over..I really like that Mauser in the Rifleshooter Magazine article!Are you going to keep it in the military configuration or restock it with a more conventional?
Please dont tell us you're going to put one of those ugly as sin, to heavy looking "Mauser Scout Rifle" stocks on it.....:eek:
I'm thinking of doing one in 7mm Mauser just because I have a barrel and saw a friend of mines finished project. I just need to get off my butt and get a yugo with a trashed out barrel but with okay wood.

Heat
August 26, 2008, 13:28
Only if you're a dumbass, drive erratically with a suspended license and all that shit in you vehicle.
Anyhow Heat, that's a nice little scout rifle pic you posted.
Are you going to keep it in the military configuration or restock it with a more conventional?
Please dont tell us you're going to put one of those ugly as sin, to heavy looking "Mauser Scout Rifle" stocks on it.....:eek:
I'm thinking of doing one in 7mm Mauser just because I have a barrel and saw a friend of mines finished project. I just need to get off my butt and get a yugo with a trashed out barrel but with okay wood.
No..not that stock! Probably get a Bell&Carlson or possibly McMillian..anything that will accept a fatter barrel, hopefully drop-in..turned down tactical bolt knob, 308 barrel, open sight like the riflemag rifle and a scout scope config. ---than either park it or matte finish---something good for the truck and hunting as well

shlomo
August 26, 2008, 21:14
Only if you're a dumbass, drive erratically with a suspended license and all that shit in you vehicle.

Umm...it was about the reporter's "source" comment that there is no good reason why anybody needs to have a rifle with a scope. Not about the said dumbass.

Lighten up, Francis.

onegunshort
August 27, 2008, 00:25
Let's say you're going with one of those large ring 19.5" 7x57 barrel on a 98 mauser action. Would a precision fit stock like a B&C medalist work for this, or is the barrel profile wrong? A better question is what stock is most recommended for this application. I'm thinking "stalking rifle" so weight is a consideration.

Any thoughts on this Fajen, I know that the real Fajen company does not exist anymore, but it's got good reviews?
http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemid=225012#enalarge
(edit) I just realized it says they are for Adams & Bennett Barrels.

I hope I'm not hijacking, I just thought any information would be helpful to the OP as well as myself.

cpd109
September 17, 2008, 20:26
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DYNOMIKE
[B]Although I'm not sure why I see knowone has mentioned the M44/M38 Mosin..
Maybe the rifle type would not fit the OP's requirements but I sure think it would make for a Sweet Truck/Brush gun..

Cheap to buy and with a Low Mag LER Scope it seems like a good option to me?
Accurate, powerful, andif ya went M44 ya have the added bonus of the Self contained PIG Sticker.. :shades:

After having read this post, I started thinking, yeah, why not? A local store has the Mosins carbines in 7.62 x 54 that have been arsenal rebuilt. I don't think they are more than $100, and with some ammo, couldn't be too expensive. And they include the pigsticker. Now, how do I convice my wife I've had it all along and she just doesn't remember it? Hmmm, have to work on that.
Thanks for the idea......
Probably just stick with iron sights though.

Texgunner
September 17, 2008, 22:18
I agree about the M38. Mine has become my favorite "woods" gun; light-weight, packs a good punch, and shoots straight too. It is the rifle I grab most often when I walk the woods on my farm. My only bitch is that the brush is playing hell with the Russian shellac finish. Oh well, it is "just" a brush gun, right?
Gary

ggiilliiee
September 18, 2008, 12:06
AK ....76 ROUND DRUM ....behind seat and fully capable of rolling out of the door, load cock n lock ....6 seconds ....
sure wanted to be at the LA bank job ..they wouldnt have gotten far ..hehehehe ..what are ya gonna do with a snauscher ?????hehehe :skull:

if ya wanna have some fun ..i took a mk enfeild ...whatever the hell it was ..just the barrel receiver and bolt was ll i had ...put a wire stock on it cut the barrel ...muzzle brake ....pistol grip off a fal ...and a homemade freefloat remmy pump shotgun fore end .........shot great at 200 yds ..0 kick .303 maggie ...ended up weighing 3 lbs IIRC...gave it to a buddy for pack gun ......the elk was tasty ........

[486]
September 18, 2008, 15:01
Originally posted by shlomo

I'd really like to rebarrel it to .308, but allegedly the metallurgy is not up to handling 50,000 CUP. And then theres the mag question...

Is the action long enough for .30-'06?
The case has a larger surface area to grab the chamber walls on the instant of firing, so it would have less backward pressure on the bolt, is my reasoning sound?

tubalcane
September 19, 2008, 16:03
Several years ago I read an article by a guy who took a Mauser,a SMLE and a Moisin-Nagant and "lived' with each in the woods for 6 months. At the end of his test time he was surprised to learn he preferred the MN to the Mauser. I don't remember the details but it was a surprise to me too!

[486]
September 19, 2008, 20:00
The shorter stock for heavy jackets?
Shooting a rifle that's great with just a tee shirt on would be way too long stocked for any large jacket...

Randall
September 19, 2008, 21:13
Midway USA is also a nice place to find Mauser stuff.

If you're going to cut the barrel down, you can keep the iron sites. Remove the front site with a mapp gas torch (It should just be soldered on). Then you'll need to turn the barrel down and resolder the site in place. Also, if it is going to be a truck gun, you might grab that stock and give a rasp, a few tools and your imagination a go. Mausers have lots of wood to work with.

Check out this site also for some good info: mauser page (http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/turk/turkmain.html)

Somewhere on that site he has done some pretty cool stuff with a Mosin Nagant too.

TEMPLARKNIGHT
September 19, 2008, 22:44
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
AK ....76 ROUND DRUM ....behind seat and fully capable of rolling out of the door, load cock n lock ....6 seconds ....
sure wanted to be at the LA bank job ..they wouldnt have gotten far ..hehehehe ..what are ya gonna do with a snauscher ?????hehehe :skull:

if ya wanna have some fun ..i took a mk enfeild ...whatever the hell it was ..just the barrel receiver and bolt was ll i had ...put a wire stock on it cut the barrel ...muzzle brake ....pistol grip off a fal ...and a homemade freefloat remmy pump shotgun fore end .........shot great at 200 yds ..0 kick .303 maggie ...ended up weighing 3 lbs IIRC...gave it to a buddy for pack gun ......the elk was tasty ........ Pics?