PDA

View Full Version : Jen, log in string stays logged on..... (FYI)

dirtshooter
March 21, 2002, 01:21
I just noticed that if I close the window and shut down my PC, and then boot up and go to FALFiles that I'm still logged in (the '[log out]' thing doesn't say '[login]'. Does that keep threads/resources/overhead tied up?
Thought I'd send an FYI. Not sure if it means anything.
I hope I described that right. If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to describe it better.
Didn't know if you knew or not.

Not complaining or anything, just posting in case it's something useable to help performance/site management or whatever.

Take care,
Chuck
:D

[ March 21, 2002: Message edited by: Chuckp76 ]

Jen
March 21, 2002, 03:08
No, it doesn't keep anything on the server tied up if you don't log out. It's just conventient for you if you use your home computer or otherwise don't want to have to log in all the time, or if you use a work computer you can just click [ log out ] so no one else can post from your account.

Enquiring Minds
March 21, 2002, 04:25
Chuck, it also means you have cookies enabled on your web browser. No danger from Jen and falfiles.com, but in the worldwide realm of the internet, it's quite a security vulnerability.

How I get the convenience of cookies without the privacy invasion is:
a) ENABLE ALL cookies;
b) but make the cookies.txt file READ ONLY;

Thus, sites you visit allow you do login and do other stuff that requires cookies, but their info just goes into cache, and soon "evaporates"... no long term tracking...

Of course the minor downside to my scheme is you have to login again whenever you shut down your browser or the whole PC.

Just say NO to Bill Gates and MicroSquish

Jen
March 21, 2002, 05:43
Another option security wise is to set your security options (in ie, not sure if this is available in recent NS versions) so that you allow cookies from FALFiles.com and any other sites you trust, but deny them from all others.

Enquiring Minds
March 21, 2002, 20:23
Jen is right. Mozilla (the Open Source Netscape) allows such selectivity... not sure about corporate Netscape--remember, AOHell now owns them. :eek:

dirtshooter
March 23, 2002, 00:02
Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid a lot of that went right over me. Actually I would be suprised if I didn't use the word 'thread' wrong.
I might print this out and find a book and look all this stuff up someday.

I'm glad ya'all can keep it working!

Thanks,
Chuck
:)