PDA

View Full Version : M1A or FAL which is better and why?

505stevec
August 13, 2008, 15:39
I have a couple of FALs and have shot M1As. What is your opinion of the two and why. I may trade for a M1A but have always liked the FAL better for weight. What say you?

GM4spd
August 13, 2008, 18:01
Originally posted by 505stevec
I have a couple of FALs and have shot M1As. What is your opinion of the two and why. I may trade for a M1A but have always liked the FAL better for weight. What say you?

My M1A's have been more accurate "off the bench" and the sights are superb,but as far as practical
accuracy(picking up the rifle,shooting offhand) the FAL is my rifle,ergo controls
are much better, the gas system makes for less recoil,and the break open
maintenance feature makes it a real winner for me---if I could only have ONE
it would be the FAL. Pete

brumalis
August 13, 2008, 18:23
I think this will best sum up the situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk

Oh, I might add
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk106/brumalis/Beatingadeadhorse.jpg

StoneyCreekMrMauser
August 13, 2008, 22:21
Hehehe!:smile:

505stevec
August 13, 2008, 23:10
Originally posted by brumalis
I think this will best sum up the situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk

Oh, I might add
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk106/brumalis/Beatingadeadhorse.jpg

Cute, but I am relatively new here so I am wondering. If you could give me other posting I can look at those. thanks

2barearms
August 14, 2008, 06:03
In todays world either is expensive. The main advantage say 5 years ago
was that FALs were the least expensive 308 battle rifle and ammo was .13
a round. It's pretty much what ever floats your boat, both have some limitations in standard form but can be built to order with numerous enhancements that overcome most of them. I like iron sights for many reasons and both have adequate sights. Milsurp ammo is now a limiting factor for most battlerifles and even the aK ammo has jumped some. If you
have shot the M1A you aready know they are great rifles too.

G2
August 14, 2008, 06:51
IMHO,
The Fal reins supreme. I have had both, and kept my Fals, sold the M1A to build more Fals. I personally don't like the oprod on the M1A. The constant exposed movement everytime I fire bothers me. Hits my hand. Also, having done service on both rifles, the Fal is by far easier and faster to field strip and repair. Bolt/Carrier etc. are by far easier, head space is easier and can be done with minor tools.
So....I vote the Fal:biggrin:

mitchellh
August 14, 2008, 08:31
Here you go;

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=225720&highlight=M1a+rifles

brumalis
August 14, 2008, 09:15
Originally posted by 505stevec

Cute, but I am relatively new here so I am wondering. If you could give me other posting I can look at those. thanks

I am sorry about giving you a hard time about this. I know about being new around here and trying to get valid opinions. However, this subject has been constantly approached and fought out numerous times. Good luck on choosing your rifle.

StoneyCreekMrMauser
August 14, 2008, 13:26
Get one of each! Problem solved.:]

W.E.G.
August 14, 2008, 14:12
Originally posted by StoneyCreekMrMauser

No, at least SEVERAL of each.

Then, when the wolf is at the door, take care of the situation with your WASR-10 'cause you weren't worried about leaving IT out of the gun safe.

panzertruppe
August 14, 2008, 15:42
Precisely W.E.G.,

There is an answer that can't be wrong... In my case it hasn't.... I love all my babies for their own special reasons.... Both are sure bets for reliable and accurate field battle weapons.... Although the FAL is a more modern machine.... The M1A is a Garand on Steroids...

I will say this as a simple observation, and an observation only... The value of both rifles has gone up. Kits are the norm for FALs(some originals around to incl SA 48s) and M1As are being built up from original work material as are FALs(ie DSA). But the value of M1As is flying off the wall vs the FAL in any form. That is NOT a major reason to purchase a gun, in some camps, but it is a nested advantage to some in others... Someone said he sold his M1As and built FALs... I know he built some nice ones and probably built an extra w/ the money you can make on M1As, if done so prudently or as the market will allow... So there was his ROI and his valid reason for doing as he did.... Kinda like owning a 50 cal nowadays... Might never shoot it, but in bout 5-10, you'll be able to sell it and build a dozen FALs/M1As...

panzertruppe

Dirt1042
August 14, 2008, 17:04
I only looked at this thread to see the IMG of the 50's guy saying " wholly geez not this shyte again"

:biggrin:

Russ
August 14, 2008, 20:06
Being the owner of a fine M14, but also FAL(s) -- it comes to this:

The M1A and variants are just beautiful weapons to hold and cherish, and they're fun to shoot and very accurate. But for those special occasions, when you must absolutely kill every m-fr in the room -- choose the FAL

So here's today's IQ test:

The M1A is to the FAL ---- what the 1911 is to the Glock --

True, or false?

Russ

EricCartmanR1
August 14, 2008, 20:46
I think the AR-10 vs. FAL is a better debate.

The M14? Well..

M14 vs. the Long Bow

Jinx
August 14, 2008, 21:00
Just got off the range after firing 200 rounds through my fal and m14. Hmmm.............
sights-m14 winner
weight-fal winner
trigger-m14 winner
recoil-fal
feild strip-fal
least jams-m14
mag changes-tie
mag cost-fal
ergonomics-m14
cool factor-tie
they are both damn good rifles, so pick your fruit!

G2
August 14, 2008, 21:35
Originally posted by Jinx
Just got off the range after firing 200 rounds through my fal and m14. Hmmm.............
sights-m14 winner
weight-fal winner
trigger-m14 winner
recoil-fal
feild strip-fal
least jams-m14
mag changes-tie
mag cost-fal
ergonomics-m14
cool factor-tie
they are both damn good rifles, so pick your fruit!

You just need a G2 trigger job on that Fal:tongue:
Then:
Trigger-Fal winner:D

panzertruppe
August 14, 2008, 22:02
EricCartmanR1,

M1A vs the longbow beats "M1 Garand on steroids" by several lengths.....LMAO:)

panzertruppe

panzertruppe
August 14, 2008, 22:09
Oh,

One other thing bout the M14, built in forward assist(though I've NEVER had an M14 jam on me except one w/ and ARMS 180 mount on it, not the gun's fault). Had to build it in on Israeli guns and if there's a rare FAL jam, well, pull and release, pull and release, pull and release, etc etc etc...

The mag cost thing is pathetic.... There's NOTHING in the M14 mags that make them THAT expensive.... Nothing... Mag makers in the M14 world are crooks(but then again, all the good one's are American made, go figure)!!!!!!!

panzertruppe

EricCartmanR1
August 14, 2008, 22:40
Originally posted by panzertruppe
EricCartmanR1,

M1A vs the longbow beats "M1 Garand on steroids" by several lengths.....LMAO:)

panzertruppe

lol

bleorg
August 14, 2008, 22:50
That other thread got me thinking that my M1A would be better used as a club than a riflejavascript:smilie(':p'). I've owned a FAL and 2 M1As. The FAL was even a Century built L1A1. I loved all three and still own the M1A scout. I wouldn't feel under gunned with any of them....even the Century. Happy shooting.

StoneyCreekMrMauser
August 14, 2008, 23:07
Originally posted by Russ

The M1A is to the FAL ---- what the 1911 is to the Glock --

True, or false?

Russ

False - Should be the M1A is to the FAL --- What the 1911 is to the 1911A1

Progressive perfection, or as close as man can get to it. AKA, it's all good bro!:cool:

EricCartmanR1
August 15, 2008, 00:27

False - Should be the M1A is to the FAL --- What the 1911 is to the 1911A1

Progressive perfection, or as close as man can get to it. AKA, it's all good bro!:cool:

i give the M14 a lot of crap, but I am actually looking to get another one. A Scout version with a top rail handguard so I can mount an Aimpoint Micro :wink:

brunop
August 15, 2008, 01:39
505stevec - I'm glad this keeps coming up so I can keep reading it. And the stuff people say. I'm still laughing about the horse.

I don't own an M1A, so my opinion isn't that valuable. But where are all the guys like WEG & Moses & others who say that the M-14/M1A op-rod lets them down in shooting competitions. And the other guys who say that they have to keep 3 rifles around leading up to Camp Perry so that they have one that works?

Compare that stuff to the 'Old Dirty' thread. ~15K rounds without cleaning on the FAL - no failures that I remember reading about.

Jinx said that the FAL lost on the FTF contest? New rifle? Crap mags? Park on the rails (where's Ggiilliiee?!!!)?

Cartman - man I woulda thunk that after the last thread, you'da learned your lesson. Don't you want another FAL instead?

I don't want to get clubbed by either, but don't sell my para short on the butt-stroke contest. Steel lower connected to steel tubing connected to steel buttplate. Ouch.

Finally, I find that FALs are much easier to handle and shoot offhand than my dad's NM M1A.

Get a trigger job, and the FAL is the winner by a long shot. Plus, you can build 'em with a crescent wrench.

Peace.

charles isaac
August 15, 2008, 08:52
I like both rifles just fine, but I have older "all GI" M1As, standard models, no "match" parts, just regular GI guns. I use these guns and they have some dents and scratches and I have gotten on all these guns hard.

No jams or breakage except the FALs while adjusting the gas. Once the gas was adjusted, the FALs are 100% also.

ostrobothnian
August 15, 2008, 09:24
Office Space rules.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/85316ev.jpg

EricCartmanR1
August 15, 2008, 14:37
Originally posted by brunop

Cartman - man I woulda thunk that after the last thread, you'da learned your lesson. Don't you want another FAL instead?

[/B]

I would never use an M1A for a SHTF rifle. I just like the feel of them in traditional USGI stock. Even though I consider the design ancient, they are still fun shooters.

And yes I do want another FAL. I have my eye on 2 more, one with traditional furniture and 21" barrel, and one with a 16" barrel and carbine gas system.

I need another M1A more though, I need a gun I can take to CA when I visit family. An M1A, with brake, no pistol grip, 10 round mags, will not cause me grief with the Cali-stappo State Nazi-party sanctioned police. They can't catch the bad guys so they are looking for ways to make us good guys the bad guys =(

G2
August 15, 2008, 16:11
Originally posted by EricCartmanR1

I need another M1A more though, I need a gun I can take to CA when I visit family. An M1A, with brake, no pistol grip, 10 round mags, will not cause me grief with the Cali-stappo State Nazi-party sanctioned police. They can't catch the bad guys so they are looking for ways to make us good guys the bad guys =(

COMI BASTARDS

Backyard_Ninjer
August 16, 2008, 08:19
The only thing the FAL has over the m14 design to me is, location of the safety.

A scout length m14 type with vltor pistol grip stock + winter safety & extended bolt release = fricken awesome!

panzertruppe
August 16, 2008, 08:36
Backyd Ninjer,

+1, love my SOCOM 2... And my FALs...

panzertruppe

mace2364
August 16, 2008, 09:28
I have quite a bit of experience with both. Uncle Sam issued me an M14 on this trip to Iraq. It comes down to this: User Preferance. A number of guys in my platoon have asked me about 7.62 NATO rifles they were thinking about, and that's what I tell them. Handle them both, and pick your favorite, or better yet both.

Heat
August 16, 2008, 23:26
Get a CMP Garand, sell all the other shit and buy a boatload of 30-06 ammo from CMP while its still there and be done with it..all-state safe rifle..no mags to worry about..just keep all your ammo on enbloc clips..if the U.S. can WIN a WORLD WAR with that rifle, its good enough for us!! Its proven in all climates, accurate as shit and has longer legs than a .308..and reloading after 8rds can be accomplished quite quickly if you know what your doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXHGAXqFkz4

spatin
August 16, 2008, 23:52
I think the best way to go is to have one (or two) of each, FAL, M1A, and a M1 Garand. You only live once, enjoy it while you can. Besides, any of them would make fine trading material if it came to that. I'm still looking for the "right" M1 for my little collection.

And make sure you buy one or two of everything else too. Get your C&R license and you will not be able to resist getting one (or two) every now and then, ha ha.

I like them all.

Sidney

2barearms
August 17, 2008, 19:33
Since I have only done longer range work with my M14 Armscorp NM, I suppose I'll have to dust off one of my SAR 4800's and let some lead fly.
My 16" DSA build is minute of coffee saucer at 100yds, pretty much the same for the M14. I'm deadly prone and sitting, you might only get gut shot if I'm standing offhand with a Garand at 200yds. I'm easily bored and like the challenge of shooting to make it count with what you have on hand, like a John C Garand match where they supply the ammo and you do your best to hit the target with a
60+ year old rifle. I'm not busy clearing rooms or shooting from roof tops but
I would if I had to and I'd probably take my Smith Enterprises 18" M14 with
me, it's an all around great rifle. Many years ago before the proverbial this vs that stuff came up I read and reread Boston's Gun Bible and came to the conclusion the two best battlerifles are the M14 and the FAL.

DYNOMIKE
August 17, 2008, 20:56
After reading all the FLEXING, and CHEST Thumping by the "I KNOW BEST" Posters it may be time for some more down to earth posts like the Ones from 2barearms and Spatin..

Soo in keeping with their thoughts I wholeheartedly agree that BOTH are FINE Rifles.. I would HIGHLY recommend everyone have at least ONE of each but TWO is MUCH MO BETTA... :tongue: :devil:

I was WAY Late jumping on the M14/M1A bandwagon but have always wanted one... I have corrected that in the last year or so & Love the M14 platform so far but still have WAY more FAL's than M14's...

IMHO they BOTH possess certain characteristics that make each fine rifles.. However they are still different enough that they also exibit some semblance of a Flaw under certain scenarios.. Personally I suspect Most of will never truly find ourselves in a Situation where Either rifle would rear these ugly traits in a Life/Death struggle..

I would not feel undergunned with either rifle and don't know which I woud actually choose if FORCED to do so? The FAL feels really good to me, especially the PARA so I suppose I would choose that but not for most of the reasons posted here.. For me it would simply be because I have much LESS experience to date with the M14 that I do with the FAL.. I will say though that the Experience I have SO FAR has been 100% possitive and I expect the M14's will get much more range time in the future giving me a MUCH better feel for the guns..

The THIS vs THAT thing has grown a Bit LONG in the tooth but sadly won't go away I'm sure... Maybe the Best answer is from HEAT, GIT YOSELF SUM M1's and a MESS-O Bullits and you will prolly make out just FINE.. :beer:

owlcreekok
August 17, 2008, 21:28
I think I had the hots for an M14 once. I shot a bud's M1A a bunch and came away knowing I had shot a nice rifle. It just doesn't "do it" for me. So many things to consider and neither rifle has a show stopper down side that I am aware of. Not that cannot be "fixed". I am of the opinion that one cannot make the FAL as accurate as one can an M14. For what I do with my FALs that is irrelevant. I much prefer the Garand over the M14 anyhow, so that is what I have in terms of wood stocked, gas operated rifle.

My AK stays out in the open, per WEG. :tongue:

Oh yeah, when in the Corps I got to do a gob of shooting an M14 with the happy switch in

DYNOMIKE
August 17, 2008, 21:32
Yea well it's about fargin time ya got one of them NEW Fangled Gas Op-erated GEEERANDS...
Fuggin Ole KOOT... :devil:

spatin
August 17, 2008, 21:36
Hey owlcreekok. My FAL has a nice trigger on it, thanks to jerrymrc, but the trigger on my M1A is s-o-o-o-o-o smooth and breaks s-o-o-o-o-o clean. I wish I could get a trigger like that on my FAL. If it did have a trigger like that, I think the FAL would be pretty darn accurate. It's not too bad the way it is.
Sidney

Originally posted by owlcreekok
I think I had the hots for an M14 once. I shot a bud's M1A a bunch and came away knowing I had shot a nice rifle. It just doesn't "do it" for me. So many things to consider and neither rifle has a show stopper down side that I am aware of. Not that cannot be "fixed". I am of the opinion that one cannot make the FAL as accurate as one can an M14. For what I do with my FALs that is irrelevant. I much prefer the Garand over the M14 anyhow, so that is what I have in terms of wood stocked, gas operated rifle.

My AK stays out in the open, per WEG. :tongue:

Oh yeah, when in the Corps I got to do a gob of shooting an M14 with the happy switch in

1MOR
August 17, 2008, 21:38
Become a rifleman! Buy something and a shit-ton of ammo. Learn how to shoot offhand, sitting, prone, left handed, righ handed, around left and right corners. Memorize the names of each part of your weapon. After you take your weapon apart, put it back together in the dark in less than a minute. Learn how to clear a jam, change mags while moving, how to load a mag from your pocket. Learn how to sling and unsling quickly. After a decent amount of experience, learn how to shoot on the move. If you can complete this assignment, it will not make much difference what type of semi longarm you have in your hands. If you need something for those special moments at home, a cheap AK or pump shotgun will serve you the best. Like the man said, the AK or the shotgun will be out of the safe and when seized as evidence as the result of the special occasion, no worry, be happy!!

Personally, I prefer a Garand and an ammo belt full of loaded enblocks. YMMV!:D :D :D

Heat
August 18, 2008, 01:47
I like ALL the rifles mentioned..I just have developed an opinion that magazines, no matter how many you posess will eventually be stolen, lost, broken and you will, in a SHTF situation be down to nothing..and the rifle will be turned into a single shot...ofcourse the likely hood of ANY of us surviving that long is remote..I've had my FAL and love it, the dirty little bastard can really get it on! But my newfound friend the M1 Garand is IMHO a better option for a long term scenario where you are down to one long-gun..it has a terrific resume!
I also love my simple Mossberg 590A1..for home defense it beats the snot out of handguns in MOST situations (I have ordered the Hogue 12" LOP stock it is close and snug)..it is simple and rugged..
I will someday, when money allows, buy MORE rifles and handguns...but not many..I will instead make it a priority to buy ALOT more ammo and spare parts for existing inventory and become more proficient (hopefully) with what I have
I REALLY like the DSA FAL's but crapola...the prices are way beyond my humble budget..I figure a service grade Garand and 4-5k rounds of the greek is my best bet..

2barearms
August 18, 2008, 05:57
Originally posted by Heat
I like ALL the rifles mentioned..I just have developed an opinion that magazines, no matter how many you posess will eventually be stolen, lost, broken and you will, in a SHTF situation be down to nothing..and the rifle will be turned into a single shot...ofcourse the likely hood of ANY of us surviving that long is remote..I've had my FAL and love it, the dirty little bastard can really get it on! But my newfound friend the M1 Garand is IMHO a better option for a long term scenario where you are down to one long-gun..it has a terrific resume!
I also love my simple Mossberg 590A1..for home defense it beats the snot out of handguns in MOST situations (I have ordered the Hogue 12" LOP stock it is close and snug)..it is simple and rugged..
I will someday, when money allows, buy MORE rifles and handguns...but not many..I will instead make it a priority to buy ALOT more ammo and spare parts for existing inventory and become more proficient (hopefully) with what I have
I REALLY like the DSA FAL's but crapola...the prices are way beyond my humble budget..I figure a service grade Garand and 4-5k rounds of the greek is my best bet..

The process by which one becomes truly armed and ready is a long one.
You could if you have plenty of money, buy what you need. You can't really buy skill however, that takes practice. I became involved again
because our country was in danger and felt that being "ready" was the most important thing I could do. I spent thousands of dollars buying what I thought were solutions to problems and found mostly gimmicks.
Basically not much has changed in a hundred years in basic rifle technology and any "modern" combat platform will suffice until you have the chance to spread out. I go to wallyworld and pick up a couple boxes
of pistol ammo and my stack continues to grow. It's like the ole saying
"how do you eat an elephant", one bite at a time. You can with the "right" information and help from "friends" begin the process of having the right stuff and being proficient with it. I also concur that a shotgun is
probably the best home defense weapon.

charles isaac
August 18, 2008, 09:24
A lot of FALs jam up at the various FAL shoots I have been to. Probably operator error-i.e.- gas adjustment, bad mags or bad builds perhaps? Never seen a Belgian built gun jam unless the gas was set wrong.

I say no clear winner, but an observation I have made is that a lot of people I have met that pick the FAL as the clear winner consider the AR their "Go To"!:rofl:

BigSwede
August 19, 2008, 16:46
Yup, that's what I did!

G2
August 19, 2008, 17:10
Originally posted by 2barearms

The process by which one becomes truly armed and ready is a long one.
You could if you have plenty of money, buy what you need. You can't really buy skill however, that takes practice. I became involved again
because our country was in danger and felt that being "ready" was the most important thing I could do. I spent thousands of dollars buying what I thought were solutions to problems and found mostly gimmicks.
Basically not much has changed in a hundred years in basic rifle technology and any "modern" combat platform will suffice until you have the chance to spread out. I go to wallyworld and pick up a couple boxes
of pistol ammo and my stack continues to grow. It's like the ole saying
"how do you eat an elephant", one bite at a time. You can with the "right" information and help from "friends" begin the process of having the right stuff and being proficient with it. I also concur that a shotgun is
probably the best home defense weapon.

+1
Practice, and a lot of it. Basic rifleman skills are easy to talk about, but a real rifleman knows his rifle like no other. I of course prefer my Fals, I service a lot of rifles etc. for 2 different gun shops, and there are a lot of good ones out there. I seriously like the Garand and M1A, but, my personal preference is the Fal, but, thats the rifle I shoot a lot and have become attached to. I remember a field exercise with the MMCW and a guy came out with a 1903A3. Ya we all laughed at this dude, us with our MODERN rifles. He won the match and fired that dang thing faster than I ever imagined!!!!

EricCartmanR1
August 19, 2008, 23:19
I just feel better gunned with an FAL.

I know an M1A, a piece of paper, and sword can be deadly, but I don't feel like I am trained enough to defend myself with those items. But if you feel like a M1A or sword is good enough, then that's all that matters.

spatin
August 20, 2008, 00:31
There is a certain "feeling" that comes with one weapon or another.

The FAL certainly imparts a feeling of strength, power, and it speaks with a great power.

But the M1A and the M1 Garand do too.

I don't know. I think I would feel equally impowered with any of those fine weapons.

The difference is in knowing how to use them ..

So, get one or two of each and practice, practice, practice ..

Sidney

tracyballard
August 27, 2008, 20:52
I'm going to have to go with the M14 since it's recommended by well-know firearms expert Sukhoi. photo of target available upon request...

nemethm
August 31, 2008, 09:32
I alway think of it as blondes and brunettes....you'll see one of each you like and you can't rule out one or the other

I only have FALs but I want to pick up an M1A. I shot one last week...pretty sweet.

The sights and trigger...M1a ..sweet

My FALS are accurate but the one thing I can't stand about them is that I wear glasses and the way my check weld is on the stock I HAVE to wear safety glasses ( would do so anyway). That rear sight comes straight back and scratches them up something awful. Is there anyway to change this..or does anyone else have this problem ?. Is there anyway to maybe get a longer stock? suggestions?

I love being able to shoot n the M1a and not have that be an issue

Ssarge
August 31, 2008, 15:46
The mag cost thing is pathetic.... There's NOTHING in the M14 mags that make them THAT expensive.... Nothing... Mag makers in the M14 world are crooks(but then again, all the good one's are American made, go figure)!!!!!!!

panzertruppe

You are comparing a rifle that had approx 2 million mags made during it's major service life vs a rifle that had untold millions made in many different countries during it's lengthy service life.
New M14 mags are just that, new production. New Fal mags have been in storage, mostly for years and are sold as surplus.
I got the five for $75 deal Dan had going on Type 57 mags and they have worked perfectly. I even re-finished them so they don't have the blue finish anymore.
All of my other mags are either new CMI production or new USGI mags from known sources and not counterfiet. So $25 for a brand new, 2008 production M14 mag costs roughly twice as much as a used 1960's production Steyr mag?
Who woulda thunk? :rolleyes:

tracyballard
August 31, 2008, 15:53
before the renewed Military interest in the M14, you could get new old stock M14 mags a lot cheaper than you can now. I remember not too long ago seeing them for $20 each.

mdlmkr 7.62
August 31, 2008, 16:58
Oh,

panzertruppe

Well all I can say is don't buy an HK 94 or 93. The AUG, Galil and SIG 550 mags are expensive too. Priced a Wilson Combat 1911 magazine lately?? G3 & FAL mags seem to be some of the least expensive surplus mags on the market. Heck, even AK74 mags are expensive now!

With 44mag.com having the sale on USGI mags foe $23 I'd say stock up while the gettin's good

MistWolf
September 01, 2008, 23:03
I like my M1A. Both have been nothing but reliable. I like my FNs. I like shooting them when they work right. I liked my HK 91 clone. had a messed up cocking handle though. I love my M1 Garand. It was given to me by my father. Which would I grab during Dark Times? Currently, the Garand because it's "rack grade" and will fire everytime with good ammo.

The M1A I have now is a National Match Rifle and I'd probably be unhappy beating it up in in a fight. Now if I still had my "truck gun" M1A, it would be a good candidate.

So far, the FN I've been able to shoot much was picky about magazines. Once I had that sorted out, it probably would have been okay once I'd shot it enough to trust it. Unfortunately, I had to sell it during hard financial times. Don't miss it though. My current FN is a DSA built STG. It's got chamber issues that I need to sit down & figure out.

The HK clone was also sold. Don't miss it much either but hope to replace it with a more reliable HK or PTR.

I'm with the previous poster that mentioned learning the manual of arms for your weapon and some basic shooting positions. I've been blessed by having the opportunity of being able to handle and shoot many types of small arms while growing up. I had to learn to handle them well and safely, or I was not allowed to shoot. I have never faced the elephant, yet it seems in a fight you must use what you have to the best of your abilities. If you stop to complain, your enemy will prevail

Billwil
September 02, 2008, 00:00
Both are great battle rifles. Magazine prices and availability are good right now for both. Most pistol mags cost more so don't complain too much, just have 10 (or whatever you deem a lifetime supply!) for your rifle in case the supply goes away.

I have a couple CMP M1 Garands as well, one built for High Power Matches (back well before the Mousegun came into dominance), and one more "as issued" looking. I could have been happy with just M1's (but NO, I had to stumble across FAL Files many years ago...)

gunshack
September 03, 2008, 14:40
The M14 is better. It's twice the rifle the FAL is. Anyone who argues that the FAL is better is mearly trying to avoid the expense of getting a M14.

And I'm not talking about SAI M1As, they don't count as M14s in my book. They are more like full sized Mini-14s with all their cast replica parts and what not.

Am I a snob? In this case you can bet yer ass I am.

tracyballard
September 03, 2008, 16:21
Originally posted by gunshack
It's twice the rifle the FAL is.

It's still 10 feet long...and that op rod...

brunop
September 04, 2008, 10:53
Originally posted by tracyballard
I'm going to have to go with the M14 since it's recommended by well-know firearms expert Sukhoi. photo of target available upon request...

Ha-ha! I can't believe that no one bit on this...

That there is funny.

Peace.

charles isaac
September 04, 2008, 14:38
Originally posted by gunshack
And I'm not talking about SAI M1As, they don't count as M14s in my book. They are more like full sized Mini-14s with all their cast replica parts and what not.

Gunshack, not trying to be a knowitall, but some M1As are all GI except for the reciever. I think all GI parts with an LRB reciever is the closest you can get right now to a "real" M14 without spending a small fortune, and I wouldn't own one of the current crop of cast shit. Everything from snapped oprods to sheared bolt lugs!

I think the M14 has a slight edge over the FAL, but only a slight edge. I am happy armed with either rifle but given the choice of only one, I have to go with the M14.

Got two all GI M1As and two FALs. "Rule of Twos" is in effect here;)

parallaxbill
September 05, 2008, 21:05
I have two M1A's and have owned two FAL's. Now I have one L1A1 and two M1A's. Fact is, I love em all. Sold the spare FAL for some badly needed cash. I will not sell either of my M1As, bolt shoot very well and always the same each time I take them to the range or to competitions. The old L1A1 won't group well until it's warmed up (10 rnds or so rapid fire) then it does just about as well as the M1A's but feels better than them.

Sounds like I like a lot about both types. :):)

wayne in boca
September 06, 2008, 04:59
I have 4 M1As and 3 FALs and I want more.They are both absolutely magnificent fighting tools,and arguing over which is better is like arguing over whether Marilyn Monroe's left breast was nicer than her left one.Fun to talk about,but you're not going to ever reach a conclusion.By the way,I prefer her left one.

AP101
September 08, 2008, 10:42
I dunno---can't give an honest opinion since I only own FAl's, but I am getting an M1A---gotta have one---would not trade my FAL's for anything---they are great rifles, but I want an M1A too. Gotta have both---come on now!!!!

chauncey
September 29, 2008, 20:56
without getting into another scrap about this (should've seen the blood on ARfcom) I can shoot the M1A better than I can shoot the FAL. since I shoot irons, I think the M1A sights offer an advantage over the FAL. this is even after putting para sights on the FAL, which did help, btw.

FAL is a second choice over the Garand, simply because it balances easier, and is lighter, shooting offhand.

Garand beats the G3, just based on ergonomics. i have a hard time reaching the safety, using the charging handle, shooting the G3 comfortably, except off a bench.

I don't think there is any big distinction between the FAL/G3/M1A worth getting too pissy over.
of stock rifles:
M1A trigger, ergonomics and sights are best, needs the least dissassembly for routine cleaning.
FAL is easiest to clean and maintain, adequate trigger.
G3 requires the least cleaning, which is good because it's a pita to disassemble and clean, trigger is lousy, ergonomics are bad,

but I'd still pick 'em all over an AR!

so shoot all and buy what fits.

arakfal
October 04, 2008, 12:38
I traded my AR15 for a FAL. I have never had a jam with it except for when I first got it I screwed with the gas setting. As for the trigger I have a Falcon Arms. The original parts were better, but just check the HTS for burs and smooth them out accordingly. With all the different kinds of surplus ammo out there the adjustable gas system is great. The magazines are still cheap for it.
I would like to have an M14 and a Garand, but can't afford it at this time!
There is no way I would trade my FAL back for the AR15!!!!
FAL's are great

firewalker
October 05, 2008, 08:47
A member here made a post about the Versus stuff I'll never forget. I love my M1A. Its top of the line all G.I. issue and shoots like a lazer guided kit was installed.

The quote was, "If the bullets are going one way", the M14. " If the bullets are going two ways", the FAL.

I do know one 1 way trip that I prefer the FAL on.

I've taken them both hunting a bit over the years. The hunts include lots of harsh treatment walking in thick brush, laying on wet ground or just getting rained on, being beat a good bit while on the utility vehicle, being drug up and down trees with a rope, getting knocked over in camp by a dumbass that I don't let come back anymore, etc. After all this neither the M14 or FAL has failed to do its job. The Fal is more resiliant to the constant beatings. I have worried about my M14 front sight and flash hider getting damaged when smacked up against a tree while strapped to a 4 wheeler. The Belgian FH is happy to be run over or thrown out of a tree. Front sight ears are much better on the FAL. Belgian/Imbel stocks can really take a beating and not suffer any damage. The FAL makes less noise in the woods. Magazine insertion, stocks quieter when scrubbing along briars, loading a round in the FAL just clunks, the M14 rings like a tuning fork. Theres probably more but you get the picture. I started using the FAL for my main deer/hog/bear rifle about 7-8 years ago and won't take anything else now.

Hunt3r.j2
October 05, 2008, 17:00
I definitely don't claim to know much about either firearm, but I think that since I wear glasses, the FAL sights are a bit too close for comfort, and the M1A is definitely better there. Also the safety on the M1A is like greased lightning. Of course, in war, you better keep the gun on the fire mode, you never know when you're entering the 2 way firing line. The FN FAL is a lot better when mounting optics like the ACOG. The M14's bend in the stock works against itself because you need to put a cheek rest if the optic isn't parallax free. Even though the FAL will definitely be unable to get below 1 MOA accuracy without starting to make huge changes to the gas system, it's definitely accurate enough for combat ranges. It seems that the only reason why the M14 can go sub-MOA is because the bullet clears the barrel before the bolt starts moving and disturbing the weapon. I haven't seen a really slow-mo capture of the firing of a 18" bbl FAL though and so the possibility that the bolt is moving when the bullet is still in the barrel makes it a small (or is that large?) reason why the FAL can't achieve M14 accuracy.

GunnyHiway
October 06, 2008, 22:34
Originally posted by EricCartmanR1
I think the AR-10 vs. FAL is a better debate.

The M14? Well..

M14 vs. the Long Bow

I don't recall seeing any AR 10s or FALs at Camp Perry last year. I did see M1As.

Wonder why? :eek:

Iv'e had both , the FALs are gone as is the one AR-10 I had. I still have 3 M1As.

More accurate, a breeze to maintain. A REAL riflemans weapon !:)

hagar
October 07, 2008, 10:05
To all who doubt the Fal, come and try your M1A against Moses with his Grey Ghost. I have seen many Fals win the drop 8, I have seen AR15's win it, seen parallaxbill do very well with a BAR, seen Otis (the horror...) win it with a Yugo 223 AK, but I have never seen an M1A win it.

GunnyHiway
October 07, 2008, 10:46
Originally posted by hagar
To all who doubt the Fal, come and try your M1A against Moses with his Grey Ghost. I have seen many Fals win the drop 8, I have seen AR15's win it, seen parallaxbill do very well with a BAR, seen Otis (the horror...) win it with a Yugo 223 AK, but I have never seen an M1A win it.

You gotta be Shiiteing me ! An AK more accurate than an M1A? Who was shooting the M1A, a 100 year old blind man ?

You expect me to believe that crap ?

There must have been some very poor marksman on the M1As for that to happen or the story is lets say " a little tweaked".

hagar
October 07, 2008, 11:26
Don't run your mouth off without the facts. It was well publicised in the military rifle shoot about 6 months ago. And he beat everybody, not just the M1A's.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222512&perpage=50&highlight=rifle%20match&pagenumber=3

And I have personally trounced a bunch of good highpower shooters with M1A's with a Fal at a 500 yard military rifle shoot shooting at half silhoette "running russian" targets that are much smaller than the regular 500 yard center, and that was with a sling. I should have used the bipod, because it beat me black and blue. I was also shooting FNM, they were shooting 168 grain match loads. The guy that won it, shot a DSA Fal.

Drop eight (200 yds)

1. 13.50 Otis (Tom) Tree Killer (AK 223)
2. 14.14 Moses (Johnny) (FAL stg)
3. 15.48 Ted Payne (AR)
4. 15.72 Bill Barret (AR)
5. 15.93 Shclomo (Mike Brennan) (AR)
6. 19.93 Jason Trent (M14/M1A Chicom)
7. 20.70 Marshall Hampton (AR)
8. 21.48 Chris Martin (Wardawg) (AR)
9. 22.63 Jeff Roy (M1A/M14?)
10. 25.20 Johnny Reb (FAL)
11. 26.47 Bill Meek (BAR)
12. 26.74 Hagar (Danie Bootha) (AR)
13. 27.34 Ed Toney (AR)
14. 34.96 Barbara Glover (AR)
15. 36.50 Mark Nolff (FAL)
16. 41.94 Robert Boff (AR)
17. 45.26 Pit bull (Brian) (Valmet)
18. 51.47 Brian Caldwell (M1A/M14)
19. 52.41 Chip Harris
20. 55.65 Jeff Myer (M1A/M14)
21. 59.99 Jason Corn (M1 Garand)

GunnyHiway
October 07, 2008, 13:03
That is impressive. However I am not familiar with the course of fire in that shoot.

I am familiar with NRA 3 position HP shoots in which I have shot in since the 1980s, 100-600 yard matches.

I never did see an AK or FAL in one, NOT one. You guys need to shoot one of those NRA matches seeing how accurate your gear is.
I'd like to be there to check it out.

hagar
October 07, 2008, 13:20
Originally posted by GunnyHiway
That is impressive. However I am not familiar with the course of fire in that shoot.

I am familiar with NRA 3 position HP shoots in which I have shot in since the 1980s, 100-600 yard matches.

I never did see an AK or FAL in one, NOT one. You guys need to shoot one of those NRA matches seeing how accurate your gear is.
I'd like to be there to check it out.

I have shot my Fal in a 200 yard reduced course match, and managed a 429/500. It is not geared for that kind of shooting though, you sling it up and you put stress on the barrel. It also pounds you on the cheekbone if you get in a tight position.

parallaxbill
October 07, 2008, 21:11
"but I have never seen an M1A win it."

I'm going to give it a solid try at the next match. Keep in mind my pal flectar finished 2nd to Moses at the last match with his M1a shooting a very respectable 16.09 to my 16.91 placing me 3rd. Of course it should be noted that Moses and I did advise flectar on some sighting adjustments after that pathetic dnf in the first round. :lol

I won't be helping him any more. ;);)

From Sept 6th match.

Drop 8 (200 yds)

1. Moses 12.07 (Sig 556) 14.79 (FAL)
2. flectar 16.09 (M1A) DNF
3. Parallax Bill 16.90 (BAR) 43.37 (M1A)
4. Otis Treekiller 19.50 (223 AK) 23.98 (223 AK)
5. Wardawg 20.81 (AR) 21.46 (AR)
6. Harry Bozarth 22.79 41.70
7. Ted Payne 25.96 (AR) DNF
8. Chip Harris 26.94 (AR) 33.29
9. Warrior poet 28.96 (FAL) 38.89 (FAL)
10. Shan 29.73 (FAL) 37.02 (FAL)
11. Johnny Reb 29.79 (FAL) 53.82 (FAL)
12. Marty Carson 31.01 (M1A) 38.97
13. Hagar 34.09 (M1A) 39.78
14. Barbara Glover (Mrs. Moses) 34.92 (AR) 36.01
15. Jason Korn 35.69 (Garand) 46.31
16. scrambld 44.72 (M1A) 57.61
17. Greg Blackburn 50.39 (Ljungman) 50.86

shlomo
October 07, 2008, 22:08
Originally posted by GunnyHiway

I don't recall seeing any AR 10s or FALs at Camp Perry last year. I did see M1As.

Wonder why? :eek:

Possibly because they don't issue FALs and AR-10s to Junior shooters, who are just about the only people you see with M14s anymore at Perry. That, and a few mossbacks from the 'before-time'. The AR pretty much drove the M14 pattern rifles off the line by '98 or 99. Not to say it's not a fine rifle, but no longer competitive, now that they have bullets and twist rates to shoot the .22 at 600.

FYI, Moses' course of fire is eight railroad track plates, roughly 13"x8", standing upright at 200. Knock 'em down under time. Fastest time wins. Not a difficult target for an experienced rifleman, BUT--the plates have something like eight 3/4" square spike holes around the center area, comprising about 4 sq inches of air within the target area. This adds an element of chance, since a slightly out of center shot just might pass thru without knocking down the plate. Naturally, I'm convinced that this is precisely what happened to me.:wink:

Don't know where in FL you live, but if it' in the north, you oughta consider dragging up and attending one. Helluva lotta fun, and a lot of team and side matches. Just don't bring your Knoblochs. Gotta have full eye protection. AMHIK.:(

hagar
October 07, 2008, 22:41
I did give it a good try with a new M1A that I never shot or zeroed before this match. Come to find out later it had a gasplug meant for heavy 175 grain loads in it, and it short stroked on me almost every second round. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...:eek:

I did finish 3rd in the sniper event with it. Moses won it with a Fal, hitting 11 or 12 plates in a row shooting surplus ammo. Pretty awesome shooting from a Fal at 300 yards.:bow:

shlomo
October 07, 2008, 22:52
Hagar,

Mr. Bill and I need to make a return and play that game again. Bill may be just the guy with just the rifle to be the first M1A winner. He's got that nice Ronnie Morris supermatch, and it does hammer.

Plus, I wanna team up with ya again with the M1s, and see if we can win that side match as well.

My freakin eyes are getting bad enough now that I can probably shoot the damn match with 1x computer specs. At least at 200. Back at three, I'll just throw one in the berm and head for the cooler.:biggrin:

We gotta make it happen.

Ron Walker
October 08, 2008, 12:32
I carried the M14 during service. I like it a great deal. I have owned a M1A, and several FALs, which I also like a great deal. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. It is interesting to note that in the original M14/T48 trials, the FAL edged out the M14 slightly, but the 14 was chosen because tooling was already online to produce it(it being basically a product-improved Garand), plus a healthy dose of "NIH" syndrome among the Army brass.
AS to which is absolutely better than the other, you will be arguing that point until pigs can fly, and neither side will budge. Good Luck, Ron

GrrArgh
October 10, 2008, 23:42
Well if the SHTF I would be dead because I wouldn't be able to decide which rifle to take. M1A or FAL, so much time considering the advantages of each, I would die of old age before grabbing the one I need. yeah, maybe in need an AK.

BC
May 11, 2010, 23:23
Originally posted by GrrArgh
Well if the SHTF I would be dead because I wouldn't be able to decide which rifle to take. M1A or FAL

When the SHTF, I will be arming with the bad guy's fully automatic weapon. That's if they don't get me first.

kayakpirate
May 12, 2010, 05:46
It seems simple to me...wanna win a match? Bring a M1A.
Wanna win a battle? FAL!
There...that oughta get me in trouble. :tongue:

Sumoj275
May 12, 2010, 14:17
Had FAL's and M1A's. Only have the M1A now but find myself wanting a Para FAL to replace my AR as my go to gun. The AR just isn't for me.

John Crusher
May 13, 2010, 19:10
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water .

wpsuth
May 13, 2010, 21:39
H&K 91. No clones, the real thing.

OK, you guys can have your thread back now.

MistWolf
May 14, 2010, 09:18
Another zombie thread and it's not even October yet!

kayakpirate
May 14, 2010, 19:38
Got ya all beat...just gotta remember where I left my H.A.C.-7! :rofl: