PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone purchased the new Mircotech STG 556

Rodney
August 11, 2008, 23:40
Microtech known for making knives, it seems turned out a specimen of a rifle. A new and improved STYER system type rifle. Has anyone bought one yet and fired it?

firewalker
August 12, 2008, 12:44
I do not own one. I have looked them over and they are fine looking rifles. If the parts interchanged with Steyr Augs I would own one or more.

If the microtech rifle could interchange aug barrels, bolts and carriers and mags it would be a win win. Without that, I see a limited production rifle with parts that are too hard to come by in the future.

Rodney
August 12, 2008, 13:40
From what I've been told, the mags from the Microtech will function in the STYER but not the other way around. I wonder if the major parts are interchangeable also. If anyone knows feel free to jump in.:?

Andy the Aussie
August 12, 2008, 18:21
If you search on member here "Bug Tussell" he had a thread a little ago about a VERY SIMPLE mod to Steyr mags that allow them to fit and function in the Microtech. There are a number of threads about the rifle here as well.

Andy:bigangel:

K.O.A.M.
August 12, 2008, 20:02
I have one and I'm enjoying it. I'm still working through it, but it's been real reliable. It takes a little getting used to, but I like it so far.

Rodney
August 12, 2008, 22:35
Outstanding, I just ordered mine (Tan collectors edition). Can't wait to hear it sing through those 556s.

Manedwolf
August 14, 2008, 13:58
Improved by adding a forward assist, which you really should never use, anyway?

Depends on your point of view.

Rodney
August 17, 2008, 00:17
Is not the forward assist designed to push the bolt into breach when fouling from continuous shooting takes place or no.http://www.falfiles.com/forums/icons/icon5.gif

Manedwolf
August 17, 2008, 12:12
Originally posted by Rodney
Is not the forward assist designed to push the bolt into breach when fouling from continuous shooting takes place or no.http://www.falfiles.com/forums/icons/icon5.gif

Yeah. Which is something that might affect a direct impingement rifle under combat conditions, because it's fouling the entire bolt. This is a gas piston rifle. Crap doesn't go back into the bolt like that. Besides, if you're having to close the bolt that way, you're risking a failure that can destroy the rifle. And who will be doing that to a rifle that expensive?

Mad Dog 7.62
August 18, 2008, 18:02
Sigh.....this has all been discussed on here before....Bugs, myself, and others have these rifles....

First of all....they are very, very well made....the quality of workmanship on them is impressive. I am very happy with mine. Whether one is what you want or not is up to you....

As for the forward assist....its there so if you need to quietly close the bolt, you can ride the handle forward silently, then use the forward assist to make sure the bolt went all the way home.....there are times in a tactical enviornment you don't want the noise from letting the bolt slam home...

Rodney
August 18, 2008, 22:49
Thanks 'Mad Dog', I just recently heard the same thing at the Boston Police/ Smith&Wesson shoot on Aug 15. Smith&Wesson came down and let us fire the entire M&P line which included their line of AR rifles. The question came up from another officer but the answer was the same 'Tactical'.

Manedwolf
August 19, 2008, 09:32
Originally posted by Mad Dog 7.62
As for the forward assist....its there so if you need to quietly close the bolt, you can ride the handle forward silently, then use the forward assist to make sure the bolt went all the way home.....there are times in a tactical enviornment you don't want the noise from letting the bolt slam home... [/B]

So MSAR went and put a "tactical" addition on a rifle that is going to be sold exclusively to gun hobbyists, since it doesn't use standard AR mags like the NATO-modified AUG does.

Right. :)

Rodney
August 19, 2008, 09:57
A few replies above state that a minor alteration to the magazine and it will accept the STYER AUG's Magazines. If those are the same mags that NATO uses we're in the money, if not I guess I'll be buying allot of MSAR Magazines.

Manedwolf
August 19, 2008, 10:19
Originally posted by Rodney
A few replies above state that a minor alteration to the magazine and it will accept the STYER AUG's Magazines. If those are the same mags that NATO uses we're in the money, if not I guess I'll be buying allot of MSAR Magazines.

No, there's a NATO standardization kit that includes a new trigger pack and stock so they can use AR mags.

I know Border Patrol has some AUGs, but I have no idea how they're configured. What I meant is that no US LEO agency would ever likely buy a rifle with a completely proprietary magazine like the MSAR. So it's a rifle for gun hobbyists, not people who are going to be using it "tactically". And in that regard, the only time the forward assist is likely to be used is when it shouldn't be used, trying to close the chamber on a round that something is wrong with. I think so, at least. I can't see a purpose for it on the rifle.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cdnn_2012_10935712

^ The NATO kit for the AUG. Will not fit MSAR.

Mad Dog 7.62
August 21, 2008, 11:42
You can use a Steyr mag by filing a bit of a groove in one of the ribs...takes about one minute to make the modification. The MSAR mags will fit an AUG without modification, and they are excellent quality mags....so instead of looking for things to gripe about, I would look at it like this....with MSAR producing high quality US made mags, you have another supplier for mags, and in 10, 20, 30, and 42 round capacities....

As far as US LEO agencies using the MSAR, or even the AUG....pretty unlikely....they are so used to the M4 its very unlikely they would consider anything else.....

Rodney
August 21, 2008, 23:22
It such a nice piece kit I can't wait for it to come in hopefully will be picking it up shortly. Had an opportunity to fire a regular AUG but most of the guys who own them won't even think of selling them. But they're very intrigued over the MSR; I think they want to trade up.

Cal 50
August 23, 2008, 11:17
I bought an STG 556 Limited Edition kit for my son about 4 months ago.
Shoots great. Very accurate and you can mount any scope or sight on it with the accessory rail if you desire to do so. To do this on an original AUG you needed the Special Receiver and that was really expensive. The mags are great but a bit hard to come by. The kit came with 4 sizes and a few more 40 rd. were purchased so he is set for a while. The sight that comes on it that is like the original AUG's works really well for a low power scope.

Rodney
August 29, 2008, 22:10
Cal 50, if you can put some pics up with the STG in action. I have mine almost paid off, can't wait.:D

sanddragger28
August 30, 2008, 21:28
Microtech thought they were real slick by copying Steyrs design. Now Steyr is building a new AUG to compete against Microtech. What would you rather have a Steyr or Msar . Steyr hands down. Theyll be back to making knives again soon.

Merkava
August 31, 2008, 11:58
Well. I sure hope the Steyr is cheaper than the MSAR otherwise I have no reason to buy one. My MSAR is accurate, high quality,problem free and in my safe right now. I have plenty of magazines and consider the "spare parts" issue more hype used to trash the MSAR than realistic consideration. Plus, if Obama Bin Biden wins, you can kiss your new Steyr goodbye.

Rodney
August 31, 2008, 13:40
From what I've seen (after having handled both rifles) the STG is made with better quality parts than the original. The polymer feels basicaly the same but the STG seem to have 'match' parts.

moses
September 01, 2008, 15:02
Forward assist is also good if you get a round that is slightly out of spec and your gun is headspaced on the tight side. Just a slight little bump to get the round chambered.
If you need to smack the forward assist to chamber the round something is probably amiss and you shouldn't fire that round.

Manedwolf
September 02, 2008, 08:18
Originally posted by moses
Forward assist is also good if you get a round that is slightly out of spec and your gun is headspaced on the tight side. Just a slight little bump to get the round chambered.
If you need to smack the forward assist to chamber the round something is probably amiss and you shouldn't fire that round.

I wouldn't even fire a round that is slightly out of spec.

What's better to waste? A thirty cent round, or a $2000 rifle?

If a round doesn't feed right, I toss it.

moses
September 02, 2008, 14:37
For that time when you absolutley, positively need to chamber a rd.
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

konrado
September 09, 2008, 11:59
I have a Limited Edition O.D. MSR STG 556. It came with a matching serial number Microtech knife which is really cool. Also included is a sling and 4 mags.

I really like the gun. It is accurate but not a tack driver. I like its "feel". Nice size, easy to carry. I like the fore end handle, makes it easier to aim. All in all I like the workmanship.

I had the chance to buy an original AUG 4 years ago, didn't have the cash. I'm glad I waited. The MSAR seems like a better gun than the old AUG.
I handled a new Steyr AUG at the NRA annual show in Louisville. I wasn't impressed either way (positive or negative).
I like to shoot the gun. I can even hit the 9 ring freehand at 100 yds. Not consistently though but good enough for an old guy like me.
I am waiting for the 9mm version to come out. It is supposed to use 9 mm glock mags. It is called the MCS.
Konrado

Manedwolf
September 10, 2008, 11:39
I fail to see why someone would pay over a thousand dollars for a pistol caliber bullpup.

fastprofessor
September 10, 2008, 13:54
Originally posted by Manedwolf
I fail to see why someone would pay over a thousand dollars for a pistol caliber bullpup.

Because they can't own a short barreled rifle in their home state. 16" barrel on a package that's shorter than my son's cricket .22. Plus the microtech is available in 6.8 rem. Hardly a pistol caliber.

Manedwolf
September 10, 2008, 15:08
Originally posted by fastprofessor

Because they can't own a short barreled rifle in their home state. 16" barrel on a package that's shorter than my son's cricket .22. Plus the microtech is available in 6.8 rem. Hardly a pistol caliber.

I meant the 9mm version. I see no reason for that at that price.

The only 9mm carbine I have is a $200 Sub 2000 that folds up to 16" total.

Mad Dog 7.62
September 11, 2008, 03:58
Originally posted by sanddragger28
What would you rather have a Steyr or Msar . Steyr hands down. Theyll be back to making knives again soon.

Do you have either one? Ever shot an Stg-556? Seen one? Handled one? And I hope you are right on Microtech getting thier knives back in production.....but I think it will be alongside the Stg-556, not in place of it.....
MD

Savior 6
September 13, 2008, 23:01
The msars are very nice and very fun to shoot. I also think that bullpup designs have nice advantages over conventional rifles, being that they can carbine/SMG OAL and have battle rifle length barrels. They also tend to be better shooters one-handed. Before you chime in, let me explain: Situations like dragging someone or something; navigating a dark house; getting up and down easier; or giving hand signals to friend or foe. Just seems to be more versitile.

fastprofessor
September 15, 2008, 07:22
Originally posted by Manedwolf

I meant the 9mm version. I see no reason for that at that price.

The only 9mm carbine I have is a $200 Sub 2000 that folds up to 16" total.

Yeah I gotta agree with you there.

dirtyrice
September 16, 2008, 21:05
I shot one at falfest. Kind of odd for someone that is left eye dominant though. I could hit something close up but would be screwed at distance. Course I could just get a replacement bolt for that.

Rodney
September 16, 2008, 21:44
Dirtyrice
From what I've been told, a left handed bolt is easy to get and even easier to install. So far Styer AUG is going to have to spend allot of money to beat Micro Techs version of the AUG. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/icons/icon10.gif

fastprofessor
September 17, 2008, 06:27
Originally posted by dirtyrice
I shot one at falfest. Kind of odd for someone that is left eye dominant though. I could hit something close up but would be screwed at distance. Course I could just get a replacement bolt for that.

Yep they can be used for right or left handed shooters, but a left handed bolt is necessary to get the brass to eject out the opposite side. I know the bolt can be purchased separately, but I would imagine you could special order a rifle already set up for a lefty.

firefuzz
September 17, 2008, 06:53
I think I'd like one of these rifles, but $30 and up mags, a piece, will be the killer for me. I like a lot of mags.

Rob

DBCooper
October 15, 2008, 09:44
Mad Dog 7.62,

QUESTION for you........ Just where does the F/A and Bolt Release sit in relationship to when your face in on the rifle? With a good cheek weld..... it "LOOKS" like it will be almost up your nose and the the B/L will be in your ear. how close to the face is it?

Looks like it will be a better Lefty than Righty shooter to me. (My observation only)

Thanks DBCooper

bobbity
October 16, 2008, 11:15
I attended a tactical rifle class a while back. My primary was a DSA SS SA 58, with a Bushy AR for backup. My partner had an AR as primary, MSAR as backup. His AR, as well as many in the class, committed hari kiri in short order. I was impressed with my FAL's 100% flawless performance. His MSAR was flawless as well. Granted, a training environment isn't often as rough as the real world, but, any gun that not only survives, but does so with zero malfs, is a good'un. I was very impressed with the MSAR's fit and finish, on top of its reliability. Of course, bullpups give me a chubby anyway...

Rodney
October 16, 2008, 18:04
Bobbity, did you get any pics during the class? If so, post them.

Merkava
October 17, 2008, 17:50
To answer the FA question, the FA sit @ 3 1/2" from the tip of my nose when held correctly. To touch the FA with your nose, the ejection port would be directly opposite of your ear. To me, the FA is a non-issue because I don't pay attention to it. It does not interfere with anything.

DBCooper
October 18, 2008, 17:25
Thanks!!!!

it looks like the Wallet will take another hit!!!

DBCooper

Tyris
October 22, 2008, 23:29
Compactness of this thing cannot be understated.

I *heart* my STG556. 100% reliable and better fit and finish than a regular AUG.
I'd never buy a gun that uses AR15 mags (lets face it, most of them are junk aluminum). Plus at $33 the STG556 mags cost about as much as AUG mags but are new production.

I've since added a fast-attach flash hider and silencer. Not the quietest gun on the block (thanks to the gas system's method of operation), but it works to take the edge off.

http://orl-llc.com/images/Krink.jpg

-T

akfanatic
October 28, 2008, 09:19
If anyone is interested the new MSAR STG 556's no longer have the forward assist and the stock is now AUG magazine compatible.

Rodney
October 28, 2008, 17:44
AKFanatic, when and where did you hear or read this info; its good new at least for getting an abundance of magazines. I kind of liked the forward assist though.javascript:smilie(':shades:')

akfanatic
October 29, 2008, 22:35
No offense if you have thin skin but the forward assist was a dumbass idea on the AR and even worse on a proper rifle like the AUG. If there is a malfunction with a cartridge it does one no good to farther muck things up by making it worse; simply eject the cartridge and allow a new one to feed from the magazine, nuff said.

The new models are out in black so far but the OD and tan are coming. There is usually one on Gunbroker from Ratworx so happy bidding.
Pics and info are readily available in the 'Bullpup' section on AR15dotCom or just ring MSAR.

Now that the MSAR will accept the ass-ton of AUG mags I have (without mods) I would be willing to purchase one. The fit and finish of these units is outstanding IMO but I am still holding out for the Steyr A3 here in the US in the JAN09 time frame. If Steyr fails to get their rifle to market I will definitely have an MSAR or three.

PM me with any other ?s.
Stay safe.
:fal:

akfanatic
October 29, 2008, 22:39
New MSAR (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=257028)

:D

mvmfal
October 31, 2008, 18:07
Does anyone know if the Microtech STG556 firing pin is compatible with the original one from a Steyr AUG-SA ??

November 17, 2008, 10:26
Why in the heck would they build the damn thing and NOT have it use AR style mags? WHy the hell would I want to buy ANY weapon in the mouse caliber tha doesn't use AR mags?
And by the way Tyris, I've got original Colt mfg'd AR mags that are going on 25 years old and still working fine. 'Course I haven't tried running over them with a pick-up truck either, heh.

EM
November 18, 2008, 03:22
Why in the heck would they build the damn thing and NOT have it use AR style mags?

I have no idea why. If a person thinks aluminum mags are junk then why not buy steel mags? Why not Magpul Pmags? They're just as good MSAR AUG mags, with out being over priced at $35 for being proprietary.

JB Books
November 24, 2008, 17:05
I have one without the forward assist. I like it and it shoots great.

JohnnyReb
March 24, 2009, 12:30
Originally posted by 0007
Why in the heck would they build the damn thing and NOT have it use AR style mags? WHy the hell would I want to buy ANY weapon in the mouse caliber tha doesn't use AR mags?
And by the way Tyris, I've got original Colt mfg'd AR mags that are going on 25 years old and still working fine. 'Course I haven't tried running over them with a pick-up truck either, heh.

They have a model coming out that takes AR mags. The move to eliminate the forward assist was also driven by customer requests.

They seem to be very responsive to customer requests, and seem to have VERY good customer support.

Rodney
March 24, 2009, 21:26
Shotgun News (most recent edition with the black MSAR on the cover) has went into great detail on the MSAR STG along with the AUG. They did allot of the answering of questions that were debated here. The MSAR from what was written and tested is better technology than the AUG. My MSAR fits like a glove but I still have reverence for my M-4; neither are going anywhere from my hands.