PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 Bolt Stop

A.G. WILSON
August 11, 2008, 10:12
Question, someone tell me how to remove the bolt stop in a 700 action. I had a long mag box installed and the 'smith did not remove enough of the bolt stop face for the bolt to go far enough back to pick up the next round. Thanks
Tony. Yeah, this IS a gunsmithing question but it IS about bolt guns.

gunplumber
August 11, 2008, 10:54
What length action (S or L) and what caliber changed to?

Bolt stop is that plate on the L side of the trigger. YOu need to remove the rear trigger pin. Careful of the spring. Both the one under the sear and the elbow spring activating the bolt stop. It can be tricky to reinstall. I've done it a thousand times and still find the occasional one that just doesn't want to retun to its happy spot.

If we're talking about a few milimeters, its probably ok - just move the whole shoulder back. But If we're talking more than that - I wonder if ther is another problem.

otis61
August 28, 2008, 06:41
So are we talking about extending the mag to fit hand loads that were loaded to just engage the rifling when put into the chamber?

splattermatic
August 28, 2008, 07:25
probably used a wyatts mag box. yeah, remove it like mark said, then grind or file enough off till the bolt clears. i did one for my 300 rum . real easy, but go slow and take a lil at a time.

dfletcher
September 03, 2008, 23:43
Originally posted by A.G. WILSON
Question, someone tell me how to remove the bolt stop in a 700 action. I had a long mag box installed and the 'smith did not remove enough of the bolt stop face for the bolt to go far enough back to pick up the next round. Thanks
Tony. Yeah, this IS a gunsmithing question but it IS about bolt guns.

It's easy - first, unscrew the barrel ..........

Just kidding, it's pretty simple.

Remove the barreled action from the stock. Turn the barreled action upside down, you'll see the bolt stop pivots on the rear pin that holds in the trigger. Drift out the pin left to right. It doesn't need to be drifted entirely, just enough to clear the bolt stop and the spring. If you drift it out all the way the cocking piece lever (or whateverthehellitscalled) will drop out.

Make certain you memorize (or photo) the position of the bolt stop spring. It can be a touch confusing 1st time around when it comes to properly reinstalling.