PDA

View Full Version : 922r Compliance

Vaughn L. Allen
August 05, 2008, 08:40
Does a registered SBR have to be 922 compliant?

partisan50
August 05, 2008, 09:09
No.

Vaughn L. Allen
August 05, 2008, 10:26
Great... Thanks.

B Wood
August 06, 2008, 19:35
there is one yahoo on several boards running around stating that 922(r) applies to all foreign receivers even if it is an NFA weapon.....

BATF has stated numerous times in writing that nfa firearms are non-sporting firearms by nature, and that 922(r) applies only to sporting firearms.....and that nfa firearms are exepted from 922(r) requirements.

short answer...nfa firearms are exempted

Vaughn L. Allen
August 06, 2008, 22:26
Yeah, I was pretty confident that they were exempt but a couple of threads on another board got me thinking that I was wrong. They were probably from the same person that you mentioned.

Blackmore
August 07, 2008, 06:59
FWIW, doesn't apply to pistol builds either.

JJC
August 08, 2008, 16:04
Originally posted by B Wood
there is one yahoo on several boards running around stating that 922(r) applies to all foreign receivers even if it is an NFA weapon.....

BATF has stated numerous times in writing that nfa firearms are non-sporting firearms by nature, and that 922(r) applies only to sporting firearms.....and that nfa firearms are exepted from 922(r) requirements.

short answer...nfa firearms are exempted

So, does a SBR really have to be "short" ?

What I mean is, can you register the receiver as a SBR, but just build it with a normal length barrel and all original parts (except sear which wont fit a semi auto receiver anyway) ?

A $200 tax stamp seems like a good idea compared to trying to round up all the 922r compliance parts - especially for inch pattern rifles. even more so if you already have NFA items and are dealing with the storage/transportation issues they entail.

Vaughn L. Allen
August 09, 2008, 09:49
I have a friend that had a SBR registered metric pattern and recently changed the barrel to an standard size. It's still registered as an SBR.

BigBoy1
August 11, 2008, 07:21
I have a selective fire FAL registered on a Form 1 with a standard length barrel. Could I change the barrel length to 12" or 14" without having to pay an additional $200 transfer fee? Thanks.

Bill

panzer
August 11, 2008, 08:36
Yep. A MG trumps everything else, do as you please to it.

robmac
August 11, 2008, 17:20
Originally posted by BigBoy1
I have a selective fire FAL registered on a Form 1 with a standard length barrel. Could I change the barrel length to 12" or 14" without having to pay an additional $200 transfer fee? Thanks.

Bill

ATF <requests> that you notify them in writing to inform them of any <permanent> changes. you will not get a new Form 1. For my part, I don't beleive screwing a barrel on the end of a receiver is "permanent"

So ....go ahead.