PDA

View Full Version : Barrels for a M1????

GUN SNOB
August 04, 2008, 20:38
The search hates me, I did try.

I just picked up a Springfield Armory M1 in 308. It is the new production, used/as NIB. (There was still park on the top of the follower, not shot or cycled after the factory)

I know there were Armory rebarels to 308 after the adapt of the 7.62, that 7.62 is a exclent round, that any gain (in the ranges I shoot) with the -06 is .....none, but it's a Garand and should be 30-06. I could get more in -06 but don't see that happening any time soon. (running out of stuff to trade/sell)

I have several Fal and working on a trade for a M1A NM so my 308 stables are well covered and if it was the shorter Tanker model I would be thinking that 7.62 was perfict and that -06 would be wasted in that barrel length comparetevly. In that roll the shorter M1As make better sence. (scout, socom...)

So I think I will be rebarreling in -06.

My question is what barrel to use. I want new and I don't want a Heavy. Basicly just a replacement with out a down grade, up grade if I can. Cost is an issue but not a deal breaker. (I can get some back selling the take off if I need to)I will pay more for better but not a brand name.

What I have found is Wilton Arms and have seen were several members use them and are happy. Is this the best/only choice for a non-NM barrel?

Thanks for your help.

AliYahu
August 04, 2008, 20:58
Is this a Springfield Inc M1? If it is, sell it and get one from the CMP, you're probably looking at more than a barrel change as even if it's a converted military rifle you've probably got a block and other things making a .30-06 conversion a lot harder than a barrel change.
I personally would just keep the 7.62 and be happy!

Eli

MAINER
August 04, 2008, 21:07
Wilson Arms barrels are very good

Criterion is another, but not up to Wilson's IMHO. You can get these from DCM for $180.
http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=BAR

Kreiger is the best, but match quality and pricey, 'bout $450 or so

Fulton Armory sells a chromed barrel for $300 that is interestin, but haven't tried one myself.

I'm getting around to ordering one of the DCM's one of these days.

GUN SNOB
August 05, 2008, 00:50
Is this a Springfield Inc M1? If it is, sell it and get one from the CMP, you're probably looking at more than a barrel change as even if it's a converted military rifle you've probably got a block and other things making a .30-06 conversion a lot harder than a barrel change.

Yup Springfield Armory USA. I want to treat this just like a GI. Take good care of it most of the time and drag it threw the mud, rain, sand, brush. Just don't see doing that to an origianal. It's a tool/toy not a collectable.

The cowboy shooters (SASS,..) Figured out that it was best to use the Chi com knock off instead of tearing up the old '97's. Same thought.

As I said in my first post this is not a reasonable thought process, just a wana. There is nothing special about this rifle except it is mine. Just another production rifle that looks like a classic. Seems like its good enuff, wont set out to destroy it, but won't sweat every little scratch eather.

No flame or gripe, I get your point and normaly it would be the best advice.

Far as I can tell the only diffrence is a plastic spacer in the mag well. Should come right out when I take it down to rebarrel. May need some gas adj. but that should be the port in the barrel. (?)

MAINER
Kreiger is a little more than I need I think. Just not building THAT rifle.

Any one shooting the crome lined from Fulton? Logic would say I will have replaced every thing else buy the time I shoot that out.

owlcreekok
August 05, 2008, 09:14
Just installed a Criterion on my Garand. Gas cylinder fit was perfect (read: TIGHT) Timed perfect, chambered quick. Range report is nothing short of fabulous. The park finish matched the rest which I had parked perfectly.

Ssarge
August 05, 2008, 11:38
I have to disagree with Mainer on the Criterion barrel. Criterion is a subsidary of Kreiger and are a great value for the money. Their M14 barrels are top notch as well. I'm going to re-barrel and USGI part a newer M1A standard I have and I'm going to use a Criterion chrome lined barrel. They tend to outshoot the USGI barrels.
www.dgrguns.com is a good place to get the work done. Dean is first rate. Also warbird, a filefiles member is great. http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/

1MOR
August 05, 2008, 16:50
Criterion would be my choice. Again, these are made by Krieger, totally top shelf. Both would make excellent choices. Both are reported to be more accurate than USGI issue barrels. My advice, find a quality smith that you can live with and go with his recommendation. Most of the recommended smiths will have the part in stock.

shlomo
August 05, 2008, 19:14
My JCG-legal gun has a Criterion. I haven't shot it a lot as yet, but what I have shot looks promising.

Owl is correct about the gas cylinder fit. Tightest I've ever used, including the Barnett match tubes.

Swampy
August 06, 2008, 08:16
snob,

Another vote for a Wilson tube here......

I have no experience with the Criterion so can't comment.

I do have direct experience with both Douglas and Wilson M1 barrels. The Wilson seems to be the better shooter by far.

I had the Wilson .308 tube installed on a "plinker" M1 back in '04, when 7.62 Nato milsurp was plentiful and cheap. This turned out to be such an accurate shooter with milsurp ammo that I decided to do a full up Match Grade build on this stick and use if for my Highpower game.

I did all the Match work myself during the Winter of '04-'05. Full 5 pillar bedding job, new Wenig stock, new NM sight set, trigger job, and full front end work.

I have used this rifle for all my X-course events and 600 yard belly matches since. It now has 4700 logged rounds down the pipe and still brings home good X counts at the 600 line.

Just this last weekend at the Planet Matches here in Missouri I took high Service Rifle in the Saturday individual 600 yard Match. Score 774-24X (Four Match aggregate). Included in the agg were a pair of 196's.

On Sunday, in the Two Man 600 yard Team I set a new personal best for a single Match with this rifle.... 199-10X. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes.... I like the Wilson tube..... Oh.... and the excellent long range match bullets I shoot are kinda' nice too.... See the tagline :wink: :wink:

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

owner Swampworks Inc. / JLK Bullets
www.swampworks.com

The difference between a hot dog and a weenie is a fine line.....

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity....

You say that you believe in man made global warming???
AHHhhh BWA-HA-HA-hahahahah......
Sorry, I was having a "moment". See the last line above.

GUN SNOB
August 06, 2008, 15:55
Thats some mighty fine shooting!

aepgilli
August 29, 2008, 12:14
Could he just have the barrel reamed to '06? (In case I ever find one in .308, I'll know how to fix that.)

GUN SNOB
August 29, 2008, 13:26
The taper on the 308 casing (.470-.454)is not as steep as the -06 (.470-.441). The -06 reamer would not cut a full lenth clean chamber.

StoneyCreekMrMauser
August 29, 2008, 16:35
Numrich gun parts has a barrel for about $160, brand new CNC-machined. Pic looks purty. Might use that if mine needs a new tube.