PDA

View Full Version : Information needed about potential rifle purchase!

diddler1
August 01, 2008, 19:05
Hey all,

My other post about this rifle has gotten a bit jumbled up, and I think people are missing the pictures I added yesterday. So, I'm starting over with a new thread. Please bear with me, I'm trying to pool this information quickly so I can make a decision about buying this rifle.

Starting with the pictures of the rifle:

Pictures of the R1A1 (http://www.bayarea.net/~diddler/R1A1/)

As you can see in the pictures, stamped on the right side of the mag well is:

Century Arms, Inc.
Georgia, VT
R1A1 Sporter 308 Cal
Made in USA

No other stampings I can see on the upper, so I'm assuming its a CAI receiver.

After -days- of checking around I'm still not even certain if this is a metric or inch upper receiver. From pictures I see online, it seems to have characteristics of both. Of course, once I figure out what kind of receiver I have the next important question is what kind of magazines to use. Using this website as a primary reference on receiver type:

Inch/Metric receiver pictures (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232517)

As best as I can tell, it has the "unibrow" feed ramps, I think these pictures show the ramp in question. Correct?

Pictures of Unibrow and Serial # on lower (http://www.bayarea.net/~diddler/unibrow-serial/)

Still trying to figure out if I have any concerns about 922r compliancy with regards to this particular rifle. Thus far, I can't figure out who made any of the parts other than the CAI Upper.

To that end, I'm particularly interested in any information on who made the majority of the parts in the parts kit, and where I might look on various parts to ensure it's 922r compliant. Is this something that Century necessarily HAD to do when they built/sold it?

Speaking of when it was built, the serial # shown on the upper, NC001993, does that give any indication of when it was made?

In the second group of pictures, there are two shots of some numbers found on the lower receiver. I read somewhere recently that the serial # off the lower can give some indication of where the original parts kit came from. The #'s on the lower are very small and indistinct, appears to be 4 characters on the underside of the receiver, just above your hand while you're grasping the pistol grip. The picture is fairly accurate, hard to clearly make out the last two digits. Best as I can read, it shows: C 6 0 7

Does that jive with anything? I've seen references to barrel #'s, but we don't see any numbers on the barrel. Guessing the #'s (if they exist) would be under the hand guards. I can get more pictures if it'll help, how else can I identify any of the parts on this rifle?

If possible, I'd like to identify the muzzle device, from descriptions I've heard its a muzzle brake. Appears to be blind pinned on the underside.

Oh, one last question (for now!) Can you shoot an FAL safely with the dust cover off?

Please help a guy in need with any information!

Thanks!

Ryan

powermad
August 02, 2008, 04:23
After -days- of checking around I'm still not even certain if this is a metric or inch upper receiver. From pictures I see online, it seems to have characteristics of both.

Century receivers are metric that have had the inch cuts made for the mag and such. They did the same thing with Imbel receivers. Uses inch mags.

s best as I can tell, it has the "unibrow" feed ramps, I think these pictures show the ramp in question. Correct?

Yes that is a unibrow feed ramp. It looks like no one has been hacking at it yet.

Still trying to figure out if I have any concerns about 922r compliancy with regards to this particular rifle. Thus far, I can't figure out who made any of the parts other than the CAI Upper.

The receiver will be one, the brake on the end is a US made one. I would ditch that noise maker and see a smith about getting the barrel re threaded for an inch FH.
The rest of the parts is anyones guess at this point. If it bothers you much then swap out the suspected parts.

Gonna have to wait till someone that knows more about commonwealth rigs than me to say when and where it was made.

ce
August 02, 2008, 08:43
It is a classic inch pattern Century, with Century furniture and enough 922 parts to be compliant as built by Century.

Buy it and disassemble it completely, grease and lube it, especially all springs and mating surfaces.

diddler1
August 02, 2008, 09:32
excellent, excellent. Thank you very much! :)

Ryan