PDA

View Full Version : The way it's SUPPOSED to be done..

RG Coburn
July 31, 2008, 20:05
Click elevation adjustments...What is supposed to be the "right" way?
Dad was a WW2 rifleman.I axed him. He sez..
You shoot at say,200 yards,click up until the rounds impact on target,back down the clicks,counting. You shoot at 300,click up until rounds impact on target,click down again,counting. And so on. He says they told them to do it that way so that in the dark,you didn't look at the marks on the drum,you counted clicks. X number clicks up= hits on target at Y yards.
Is this the way it was taught? Or is this just the way HE was taught?

shlomo
July 31, 2008, 21:12
That's the reliable way.

The easy way is to do as you described at 200, and then loosen the slotted "dog" screw in the elevation drum. Without moving the actual sight, rotate the drum to the 200 witness line, and tighten the dog screw. Count the clicks down to bottom to verify that you have not moved the sight. Record the number of clicks. You now have an easily indexable basic sight setting. (Until the dog screw loosens on its own, which is why you need to know how many clicks the 200 setting is.)

From there, all you need to do is know how many clicks beyond that is 300, how many for 400, and so on. If you are using service ammo, the 3, 4, 5, and 600 lines should be awfully close to right, once you have your basic 200 setting indexed on the drum.

Swampy
August 04, 2008, 08:38
RG,

I was never in uniform (4F... bad eyes.) so can't say what was taught to Marines and GI's, but what your Dad told you mirrors what any serious M1 or M14 Highpower competitor does for his zeros.

My own take as a Highpower competitor is as follows. I copied this from one of my posts on another board....

Yes, many people will set the elevation dial to their ammo and zero... BUT, no serious M1 shooter worth the gas from a can of pintos will rely on the knob to not come loose at the most inappropriate time.

NO serious Highpower competitor relies on the numbers on the wheel. All that I've ever known or heard tell of count clicks up from bottom. It's the ONLY sure way to KNOW that you have your zero correct.

If (when... remember Murphy) the wheel comes loose in the middle of a match and you do not have your clicks up from dead bottom written down and stored near the rifle you are screwed. There is no way to get back on target short of a re-zeroing regimen.

If, as most serious M1 shooters do, you have the clicks written down and available all you have to do is re-tighten the elevation knob, run it to bottom, and count clicks up to be right back where you should be. The rest of the match is saved.

I own LOTs of M1's. I don't depend on the elevation wheel markings for the zero on any of them. I have all their zeros written down as "clicks up from dead bottom" in a notebook that is always in my range gear.

The pretty little numbers on the elevation wheel are just useless decoration as far as I'm concerned.

Hey... that's just my 2 bits....

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

owner Swampworks Inc. / JLK Bullets
http://www.swampworks.com

The difference between a "hot dog" and a "weenie" is a fine line.

shlomo
August 04, 2008, 22:13
Originally posted by Swampy
NO serious Highpower competitor relies on the numbers on the wheel. All that I've ever known or heard tell of count clicks up from bottom. It's the ONLY sure way to KNOW that you have your zero correct.

While nobody in his right mind relies on the witness lines, most of the people I shoot with use 'em as a convenience and cross-check. When you count that 17 up, and the witness mark lines up, you KNOW that all is well, and you didn't brainfart on the count.

One other thing worth noting is that when (not if) the dog plate screw backs out, you'd better be watching the aperture while turning the elevation knob, because that sucker will still click, and the sight will sit still. If you think you have your 200yd dope on, and the sight's on the bottom, you will be in for a nasty surprise when you fire that first shot or string.

Checking that dog screw at home before leaving for a match is now a standard routine, and one that I recommend.

Swampy, I did a little poking around the Osage Orange site, and it looks to me like you boys need to put together an M1 team for the Infantry Trophy match during CMP week. Seems you've got quite a bunch that go to Nationals, and also shoot Garands. If you've never tried it, it's quite the E-ticket ride. Dennis DeMille, R.Lee Ermey, and the boys from Hornady are supposedly building guns and plotting to take the title away from us (the Georgia Blind Hogs) next year. The Missouri bunch oughta make a run at it too. I promise y'all will have a good time at it.

And while I'm at it, thanks for keeping JLK going. I hope it's successful for you.