PDA

View Full Version : Best book on M1A maintenence/tips?

superjc
July 30, 2008, 21:12
What's the best (or your favorite) book around with pictures and detailed instructions on complete disassembly of the M14/M1A? Something that can walk me through the gas system and bolt. I want to order one, there are a lot of them out there.

wayne in boca
July 31, 2008, 04:51
The M14 Complete Assembly Guide is my favorite.Written by the owners of Fulton Armory,it is clear,well illustrated,and understandable..Also Scott Duff's book is excellent,which I have but don't remember the title.OK,went and looked.The M14 Owner's Guide With Match Conditioning Instructions.And,The Last Steel Warrior,by Frank Iannamico (sp).I haven't got one of those yet,but will soon.

GM4spd
July 31, 2008, 12:47
Originally posted by superjc
What's the best (or your favorite) book around with pictures and detailed instructions on complete disassembly of the M14/M1A? Something that can walk me through the gas system and bolt. I want to order one, there are a lot of them out there.

The DUFF book is hard to beat, Pete

gunshack
July 31, 2008, 14:26
The books Duff and Kuleck are great for complete take down and re-assembly, but lack in more technical areas. The most thorough shop manual is the one written by Jerry Kuhnhausen. All are available at midway.

superjc
July 31, 2008, 21:06
Just ordered the Duff book from his website:

http://www.scott-duff.com/DuffBooks.htm

It's high time I know this rifle inside and out (SA M1A NM)

I can tell you this though, I took this rifle to Florida, sold it to a friend, he put the GI flash hider on it (I'm from Kalifornia, it had the brake on it) and the recoil is reduced by a good 30% by the muzzle brake compared to the GI flash hider. I moved back here and put the Kali legal brake on (traded it back for an HK-33 I had.... *tears)

GM4spd
July 31, 2008, 22:05
Originally posted by superjc
Just ordered the Duff book from his website:

http://www.scott-duff.com/DuffBooks.htm

It's high time I know this rifle inside and out (SA M1A NM)

I can tell you this though, I took this rifle to Florida, sold it to a friend, he put the GI flash hider on it (I'm from Kalifornia, it had the brake on it) and the recoil is reduced by a good 30% by the muzzle brake compared to the GI flash hider. I moved back here and put the Kali legal brake on (traded it back for an HK-33 I had.... *tears) You may be right about the recoil---I live in
Cali also and the muzzle brakes still look like siht! I shot them both ways
and I never saw any difference accuracy wise or recoil wise. If I want a
smoother recoil/ergo friendly 762 it's the FAL for me. Pete

superjc
August 22, 2008, 19:50
Thanks for the tips, the "M1A OWNER'S GUIDE" by Scott Duff just came in the mail, tons of great info, but more diagrams than pictures, so I think I"ll buy the other book too.

*In one part, it says "There is plenty of good surplus 7.62 NATO ammunition available" :cry: aah the good old days, book was put out in '96