PDA

View Full Version : Israeli differences

mace2364
July 24, 2008, 12:29
Is there any difference between Israeli light barrels and standard metric? What other parts were different from standard metric? I am considering putting together an Israeli light barrel rifle, and I am trying to figure out how many special parts I am going to need to locate if I decide to do so.

J. Armstrong
July 24, 2008, 21:14
Izzies use a lot of the early pattern parts that FN stopped using very early on. The gas block, plug, piston and cylinder are all different than later metric, as are the breech threads. Selectors, lowers, and charging handles are unique, metric carriers can be modified to Izzy spec. Izzy bolts are usually 1 piece extractor. Late Izzy stocks are shorter but interchangeable, HGs are different but likewise interchangeable. Sights are early high open ear. Later Izzy carry handles are different. Probably a few more items as well, but you get the picture !!

Building a "correct" Izzy on a part by part basis is outrageousely expensive --- AMHIK :eek: :( Much better to find a kit and work from there - trust me on this !!!!
If you just want the Izzy look, that is much easier to do, depending on what degree of "correctness" you wish.

BTW, this really should be in the FN files or gunsmithing section rather than here.

FALs&45s
July 27, 2008, 08:25
Originally posted by J. Armstrong
Building a "correct" Izzy on a part by part basis is outrageousely expensive --- AMHIK :eek: :( Much better to find a kit and work from there - trust me on this !!!! If you just want the Izzy look, that is much easier to do, depending on what degree of "correctness" you wish.

what he said....and either way you go try not to think of those old ads in the shotgun news for $120 Izzy kits!

Originally posted by J. Armstrong

BTW, this really should be in the FN files or gunsmithing section rather than here.

+1
all this info is here in this subforum, see EUREKA thread above, then the 'Israeli' 'Ident' & 'Interchange' masks

but to add a couple to J.A's list are the wonderfully ergonomic ring-spurred mag release lever and the distinctive 3-piece joint pin assembly. i believe their BHO levers had a (unique?) hole drilled in them. the stocks i've seen had non-rotating rear swivels tho i don't know if that's an early FN feature rather than Israeli esoterica....

J. Armstrong
July 27, 2008, 08:38
Good additional points !

The "holed" bhos are, I think, only the ones that Israel actually produced themselves. The non rotating swivels are again early Belgian practice, as were the ringed mag releases.. The more common rotating swivels we know better came into use at or around the introduction of the G1 in '56.

FALs&45s
July 27, 2008, 09:50
if it IS going to be here, we gotta at least have some pics!

joint pins / mag release
Israeli on left

http://cnr-ffl.us/FAL/FAL_ID/joint_assy_IZZY_STD.jpg
http://cnr-ffl.us/FAL/FAL_ID/joint_assy_IZZY_STD_2.jpg

swivels
Israeli (?repro?) on right

http://cnr-ffl.us/FAL/FAL_ID/swivels_rot_nonrot.jpg

J. Armstrong
July 27, 2008, 12:15
Nicely done pix - verycrisp and detailed :beer:

FALs&45s
July 27, 2008, 15:27
thanks J.A
have a rebel xti w/kit lens on timer from new 'froto pod &QD head (finally!) :love:
on aperture priority 2 or 3 stops back from max
natural light on my covered back porch and a handheld white board for some reflecting.
cheapo lightbox made of a box from a printer & parchment paper.
simple & works ok for me w/o too much hassle or expense other than the camera