PDA

View Full Version : trials and tribulations of a fn pbr

splattermatic
July 22, 2008, 21:05
well, it all started when i saw the thread on snipershide about the fn barreled actions for sale.
just had to have another .308 bolt gun, so the g man and i ordered some, a 24" er for me and a 20"er and a 24"er of george.

got mine in first, picked it up from the shop, and was ripped off for 42 bucks for tansfer fees, because he said it could have been a stocked item.

now what to do for a stock ??

had a winchester plastic short action stock stashed , so out it comes, and the figuring out how to make this thing fit starts.

i had it bedded for my factory 300 wsm, so that all had to come out, along with relieving the barrel channel for the larger barrel.
after i got it all to fit and settle in, i turned it over and attacked the detachable mag bottom metal. i started in the rear, behind the trigger, widening it just a bit, and worked my way forward. the mag area really had to be opened up as the box mag metal is thick. i got the screw holes to line up, and noticed that the spring for the mag release was just about in the hole for the front screw ! so grinding began.... it all worked out well, now the front screw hole is no longer completely round, it's rather a half a hole.

i took a marker and traced out the front square end of the bottom metal and stay level with the inletting and took out the plastic so it all would seat level.
a little grinding here and there and it was done... almost... the metal wouldn't seat down all the way... wtf ??? there is a rib between the mag and the trigger.. had to slice a groove with another bit.. now she fits...

covered the bottom areas of the barrel and action with release agent, and mixed up some bedding in black... gooped it in front and rear, some under the barrel, and put er together and tighted screws.
that night, broke it apart and ... nice bedding job, if i have to pat myself on the back....

so now i get a chance to bore sight her.
took her to work the other day, and then right before dark when i got off, drove the mile or less down the road to the range.

used a bipod and rear bags. looked thru the bore and the crosshairs were way low.
i used a old luppy 3-9 that was laying in the safe and it just didn't have enough adjustment.
i had to use the top thick to thin of the duplex to hit at 100 yards, went to the gong range and hit 1st shot at 300 meteres and 2 at 400.

i wanted to shoot and clean for 20 shots, but that didn't work out.

i took 6 shots that day. cleaned it the other day, and NO copper blue came out on the patches using barnes cr-10 copper cleaner ??? smooth bore ??
i did notice a brown color on the patches ?? anyone else find this ??

so now i pull a 3.5-10 luppy off one of my 300 wsm's and ring er up... these come with near manufacturing 20 moa bases, i used luppy prw medium height rings, instead of the supplied huge "tactical" rings.

went to the range today, looked thru the bore, crosshairs way low again... uh,oh, here we go again ???
nope a luppy varixIII or whatever it is, has enough adjustment !!

boom 1st shot with south african hit the dirt clod on the hill behind the 100 yard target board...!!
so i shoot and cleaned for 9 shots, all the while making a click or 2 here and there to center it.

bad storm is moving in, so the shoot and clean comes to an end. lots of lightning, so lets make this quick...

shot 3 shots of s/a and it hits centered 2 inches high and 2 inches left.
3 shots are inside 1 1/4" horizontal and 1 inch vertical !!! hey.. not bad, minute of human for quite aways out there .

remember now, wind is picking up pretty good by now......

clean, took 5 patches and no blue from copper yet.... still that nasty brown color tho, after the black powder residue is gone... ??

now i settle down with reloads consisting of new w-w brass, neck sized, flash holes uniformed, deburred, and primer pockets cleaned up.
i used 46.5 grains of varget for a velocity of 2770 average. these velocities were from my remmy 308 heavy barrel, with a 26 inch tube.
the oal to the rifleing with a 168 grain sierra hpbt in my fn gun is 2.90, so subtract 25 thousanths..... and the oal i like to try first is 2.65. federal 210 primers ignite, the powder.

first 2 shots are at 1/2" high and 3/4" left, and are 1/2"x3/4" apart....
wind is now blowing erraticly, so i wait for a calm, shot 3 goes down range... oh, did i say i didn't adjust the trigger yet. they are hard..

well shot 3 goes goes 1.5" high and 1/4" left...
load 4 in the mag... here we go..
wait for a calm , shots 4 thru 7 go down range now, with some pausing and waiting for the wind to calm... i was hoping for that super still air we all call " the calm before the storm" but it didn't happen....

those last 4 shots went inside 3/4" horizontal by 1/2" vertical... that's outside edge to to outside edge, counting shot number 3 which has a bit of paper between the ragged hole group it totals insde outside to outside 3/4"x3/4"...

this sucker shoot very well.
i clicked it down 7 clicks and right 1 click so my next range session should be right dead nuts centered on the orange dot.

the g man will post picks as i have a new computer and no disc for my camera, to load the software. it's misplaced !!

so this is it for now, i am very please with the groupings so far, and oh, i cleaned again after the 7 shots, and did get some blue color, and that same brown colored crap again ?? what is that stuff ? anyone have a clue ?

if i needed another .308 bolt gun, i would get another, as this is a great value, and they seem to shoot so far.

Dunk RD
July 22, 2008, 22:02
Very well written and complete review. Cant wait to get mine together.
Thanks
Dunk RD

the gman
July 22, 2008, 22:44
Well, as Splat said, we got the word on the actions & barreled actions & jumped on the chance to get some good rifles at discount prices...:bigangel:

Wuz easy for me cuz I love the Winchester action & have a few controlled round feed Winnies already. I also have a good friend back East who worked on the development of the SPR & PBR program & he's good people so the rifle was good to go in my view. Only things holding me back from buying a complete rifle was the price & that FN pissed me off by closing down the Winchester factory.

I digress.

On to the pics: first one shows Splat's stock with his Dremel work (WECSOG award pending ;) ) compared to a STANDARD Hogue Win 70 Short action stock. Note the amount of chopping & channelling required to accomodate the detach mag bottom metal. Especially note the slot from behind the mag well to the trigger; that's for the strengthening rib on the cast bottom metal.

Pic:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1136590/FN1.jpg

Next we have the pic of the Standard Hogue with the bottom metal shown side by side so you get an idea of how much you would have to remove to make it work. Not recommended by me, that stock will be on it's way back to Brownells unless I can find someone with just a floorplate to swap for my detach mag bottom metal.

Pic:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1136590/FN2.jpg

Next, a shot of Splat's 24" rifle with my 20" in the Hogue stock. (minus the bottom metal) I think they look pretty nice.:beer:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1136590/FN3.jpg

This is a pic of the 20" barrelled action as received by me:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1136590/FN4.jpg

Lastly, a close up of the action:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1136590/FN5.jpg

All in all, a good deal & I definitely recommend getting a Hogue stock from CDNN as soon as they are available. Too much work for this kid to screw with all the inletting......:uhoh:

Neither Splat or I are responsible for anyone spending more money with CDNN as a result of this thread........:shades: :beer: :tongue:

KIT
July 22, 2008, 22:53
Splatt

I don't have the specs on the FN PBR but my FN A3 SPR has a chrome-lined barrel. If your PBR is also chrome-lined it might explain your cleaning results.

The FN SP uses a great action and they make for one hell of a rifle. You will want to hang on to this one for sure. More pics!!

Later

-KIT-

splattermatic
July 22, 2008, 23:32
no chrome mark....

i'm gonna do another cleaning maybe tomm., i'll see what comes out again.

2barearms
July 23, 2008, 06:17
Since I got my SPR a while back they have jumped a couple hundred
bucks, so this really makes this an even better deal. I'm leaning toward a
custom made stock. I may switch the bottom metal to an internal box mag.
I single feed the SPR on the bench and you can't top off the mag without
removing it. I'm calling Slow today and see if it's here.

MAINER
July 23, 2008, 08:20
Been hauntin' the stock makers and after-market stock synthetic web sites with little results. McMillan and H-S Precision look best, but cost more than the dang rifle!
Not sure I like the Hogue's rubbery feel. Looks like the way to go for now.

Looked up FN's website. Where's the parts??

William's Firearms has bottom metal for hinged floorplates, but no box mags.
Been spoiled by a pre-64 Model 70, don't see much use for a DBM, yet. Just somethin' else to lose or drop down a gopher hole. :cry:

splattermatic
July 24, 2008, 08:21
oh ! my dremeling looks terrible. but hey, it works....

pics of my first target soon.

DarkEarth
July 24, 2008, 14:19
Thanks Splattermatic.

I just picked my 24" up an hour ago. Im planning on doing the Hogue full bedded stock on mine so thanks for the great information.

This thread is gonna come in handy:wink: :beer:

2barearms
July 25, 2008, 20:13
I got my PBR yesterday and it's very nice. Sitting next to my 24" unfluted
SPR A1 the barrel seems a little small but it's .720" at the muzzle. The SPR
is .920" at the muzzle.

I'm going to change the BM to Internal Box Mag. Off to the Gunshow
tomorrow to see what's layin' around.

Thanks Splat!

splattermatic
July 25, 2008, 20:27
what are ya going to do with the mag ?

i could use another one !!!;)

2barearms
July 25, 2008, 20:33
My SPR takes the mags.

2barearms
July 25, 2008, 21:42
Well after some thinkin' I may keep the mag setup it would make both
rifles compatible. Dug out a 10x40 Bushnell Elite 3200 and some Leupold
M4 Med High Steel Rings. Now I'm jonesing for a stock.

tac-40
July 25, 2008, 23:36
Wish I had read this post about 12 hours earlier. I bought a Hogue full bedded stock from Brownell's and started right to work on it. First the barrel channel was too small and needed some trimming along the edges to free float the barrel.Just had to razor cut some of the rubber overmold so that part was easy. Next came fitting the lower to the stock. A lot of metal and plastic had to be removed. Forgot about the slot for the web and started getting really PO'd until I saw the rub mark. Finally got everything to line up and go together. Sucker looks nice, but I think I need to go deeper into the stock for the bottom end. It has a gap of about a 1/16th inch between the mag well and receiver. I'll look at it closer tomorrow when I have a clear head.

If you guys do go with a the Winny Hogue for a do it yourself stock, be carefull. You will have to be very close to the screw hole in the front pillar in order to have clearance for the mag ejector spring. If you have access to a milling machine, then that is the way to go. I have already placed an order with CDNN for a full bedded Hogue stock that is a drop for the detachable mag lower. I am using this one as a learning experience.

OBTW, I drew blood 3 times and broke a fingernail so I definitely earned some WECSOG points on this project.

firewalker
July 26, 2008, 06:41
Which FN SPRs come with chrome lined barrels? I had one on a A1 and sold it during hard times. Now this thread has me itching to get into it again. I liked the chrome lined barrel for its rated life expactancy. They were made from the 240 barrel blanks.

2barearms
July 26, 2008, 06:59
Originally posted by firewalker
Which FN SPRs come with chrome lined barrels? I had one on a A1 and sold it during hard times. Now this thread has me itching to get into it again. I liked the chrome lined barrel for its rated life expactancy. They were made from the 240 barrel blanks.

Mine's an A1 24" non fluted and it's chrome lined. The story I got was the
barrels were MAG 58 barrels?

firewalker
July 26, 2008, 08:24
M240 - Mag58 are the same machine gun with some changes here and there.

2barearms
July 26, 2008, 13:04
Originally posted by firewalker
M240 - Mag58 are the same machine gun with some changes here and there.

I've learned something new, thanks.

splattermatic
July 27, 2008, 09:08
for more mags go here :

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3071A1210

2barearms
July 27, 2008, 09:37
I was poking around looking for stock options, no pun intended, and made
an interesting discovery. The PBR standard rifle has the Push Feed Bolt
and does not come with Fluted Barrel or DBM. The XP series are a slightly downgraded SPR. The Stock and the Barrel being the big difference.

I'm going to call Richards and see what's available in stocks linkee:

http://rifle-stocks.com/benchmark.htm

MAINER
July 28, 2008, 20:21
Talked to Ken at CDNN today and he expects the Hogue stocks in this week. :tongue:

Anyway, he took my cc info and promised to capture one for me. They are black only and either piller or full length bedding.

indy_Muaddib
July 28, 2008, 20:43
does anybody know of a AI style stock for the FN PBR action?

this style

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/pix/AICSsmV3.gif

splattermatic
July 28, 2008, 23:20
i think they only fit remingtons....

splattermatic
July 30, 2008, 23:10
shot 5 more shots this am before work. total 25 now down the tube.

i loaded 150 grain nosler bt's in front of 47 grains of varget.

1st round clean barrel flyer...then 4 into a nice triangle with 1 round in the center. 1 inch outside edge to outside edge. oal loaded round was 2.80.

it is okay, but will try 168 sierra's again loaded at same 2.80 oal.

then i'm going to try 150 grain barnes triple shocks, tipped and non.

joeb6971
August 06, 2008, 17:47
Hey guys, I just got a PBR 20 incher and stock in from CDNN, any idea on what torque the reciever shoulder bolts for the stock should be tightend to?

Thanks!
Joe

maximushuntermus
August 06, 2008, 19:03
Couple questions for anyone willing to share their opinions, I bought one of the 24" pbr xp's and can't decide on a stock. The hogue's that cdnn have are pillar bedded but their supposed to get some full length bedded stocks in sometime. How much difference could there be in performance between the 2, should I wait or not. Then there is the Bell Carlsons that would need some mods as Splattermatic did, yes no? The McCormicks are a little pricey for me and not sure I like the big gap around the barrel.
I plan to use it for mostly bench shooting at my range probably 200 yards but would like to be able to make a shot out to 400 or maybe 600 my eye sight and scope permitting on mule deer out here in Arizona.

tac-40
August 06, 2008, 19:56
Hey guys, I just got a PBR 20 incher and stock in from CDNN, any idea on what torque the reciever shoulder bolts for the stock should be tightend to?

Everything I have read says to torque the receiver screws to 65 inch-pounds. I checked the manual and it said to return the rifle to FN for further disassembly.

CDNN is still waiting for the full bedded stocks to arrive and they don't know when they will get there. Couldn't wait, so I went to Brownell's. I bought a Hogue Win 70 varmiter profile full bedded stock and then started dremeling in order to fit the box mag and housing. After 60 rounds I have no movement and everything is still tight. Plus I like the grey-black color instead of the OD.

splattermatic
August 06, 2008, 21:36
i have an extra hogue pillar bedded, still sealed in the bag for what i paid for it...114.00 shipped, if anyone's interested.

Bug Tussell
August 07, 2008, 12:09
CDNN price for the 24" barrelled action has gone up to $449 now...

splattermatic
August 07, 2008, 21:52
i think that is for the 300 wsm barreled actions...
wished i'da known they were coming in, woulda gotten a 300 instead of the little 308....
like i need another one of either caliber..

dasu
August 09, 2008, 09:52
the price increase is not going into effect until monday. if you call today you can still buy one for 399!!!

MAINER
August 09, 2008, 16:42
Originally posted by maximushuntermus
Couple questions for anyone willing to share their opinions, I bought one of the 24" pbr xp's and can't decide on a stock. The hogue's that cdnn have are pillar bedded but their supposed to get some full length bedded stocks in sometime. How much difference could there be in performance between the 2, should I wait or not.

FWIW. I'm waiting out the full-bed Hogue from CDNN. Can't really say if it will be worth it. Would be interesting to try both and see what the difference is, if any. I'm not an accuracy freak, but intend to give it as good a shot as I can.

With it's 1 in 12" twist, it might even be a good "cast bullet" gun. :biggrin:

maximushuntermus
August 09, 2008, 17:39
I'm with you, not an accuracy freak, but my first time with a semi-custom gun and don't want to make the wrong decision, I'm supposedly on the list at CDNN also for the full bed stock.

splattermatic
August 09, 2008, 23:15
if i could only find the disc to reload the software for my camera...

168 gr hornady bthp national match bullets over 46.5 grains of varget set at an oal of 2.80 went into a ragged hole..... 2 -5 shot groups so it wasnt a fluke..

try that load guys...

MAINER
August 10, 2008, 10:37
Thanks Splat! Wrote that one down in case I run across some of the Hornadys.
That's fine shooting. Have you done any tuning on the trigger?

Got a load to try for PBRs from a guy thats claiming .318" at 100yds. He's using 165gr SMKs with 44.0grs Varget in Federal cases with CCI primers. Looks like a pretty soft loading, but he's shooting for groups.

Latest rumors has the Hogue full-bed stocks available around the 12th of Aug.

I'd like to see H-S Precision come up with a stock for these. McMillans and Manners is too rich for me. Anyone with a Bell & Carlson Medalist review?

tac-40
August 10, 2008, 14:10
Thanks Splat! Wrote that one down in case I run across some of the Hornadys.
That's fine shooting. Have you done any tuning on the trigger?

Hornady 168 HPBT Match using LC MATCH brass with 41.5 gr IMR 4895 loaded to 2.81 OAL - 6 round group measured .79 inch horizontally and .41 inch vertically at 100 yds. If only I could stop my heart from beating while I pull the trigger. Original group was 4 rounds and then I ran some throught the Chrony. Got 2508, 2506, 2505, and 2474 fps from the 20 inch barrel. Had two rounds left and fired them at the same target. I adjusted the nurts on the trigger to get about a 3 pound pull, plus I smoothed the sear surface with a stone to remove the grind marks.

2barearms
August 10, 2008, 14:17
I ordered the Hogue Pillarbed stock from CDNN so I can use the Mags
in both rifles. Are the ones with the bedding block green also? The avg
cost that I've found for a decent stock with the full beeding block is around
$400 and you would have to get the internal box magazine too. The current
street price for a PBR xp is around $1,150.00, i paid $1,200 for my SPR and they are now pushing $1,500. I feel very good about this so far.

I saw an ad from CT Dirt oferring up the Barreled Actions from CDNN.

MAINER
August 10, 2008, 18:07
Originally posted by 2barearms
I ordered the Hogue Pillarbed stock from CDNN so I can use the Mags
in both rifles. Are the ones with the bedding block green also?

According to Ken at CDNN, all the Hogue stocks are black, both pillar and full-bedded.

tac-40; Thanks, 4895 has always been good powder in .308. RL-15 is another that I like in this caliber.

splattermatic
August 10, 2008, 19:42
ken, at cdnn told me also, that all the stocks they were getting are black..

btt again, i have a cdnn hogue, pillar bedded stock for sale for exactly what i paid for it...
114.00 shipped.

dasu
August 10, 2008, 21:04
im browsing bullets and saw the sierra 180 grain HPBT. i was going to rder up the standard 168s or 175 but then figured id ask...anyone try that?

of course who am i kidding i dont even have a stock yet... :)

tac-40
August 10, 2008, 21:25
I ordered the pillar bedded stock from CDNN because they had no idea when the full bedded stock would be delivered to them. Because CDNN did not have the pillar bedded one in stock and with an expected arrival time of 10-15 days, I ordered a Hogue Mod 70 stock for a short action and varmit barrel profile from Brownell's. I had to remove a lot of plastic and some of the lower pillars in order to get the mag well and trigger guard to fit. I also had to trim some off the barrel channel to keep the full float clearance since this barrel contour was heavier than the varmit contour. I was initially worried that I took too much off when I finally got everthing to fit up correctly. But, when I compared the one sold by CDNN and the one I dremelled, I realized that I took less material off than Hogue did.

Doing this was relatively easy. Just go slow and fit often. And don't forget about the web between the trigger guard and mag well. You won't be able to seat the damn thing if you do. If you take too much off, you can always add more by bedding the lower half when done.

maximushuntermus
August 11, 2008, 20:05
Are the scope rings they send with them any good for a decent scope or are they just freebies most people probably would upgrade to something else?

MAINER
August 12, 2008, 08:43
CDNN sells em for $30. They are heavy duty and of course, made in China. I was going to use them for a Red Dot, but mine have one of the screws missing.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/targetsports.html

I think most of us will be putting them in the spare parts box. I'll be using Warne QD rings on mine.

2barearms
August 12, 2008, 12:48
Oh yeah, no problem, got plenty of the Pillar Bed stocks. Not.

tac-40
August 12, 2008, 19:07
Got a phone call from CDNN yesterday. I guess the full bedded stocks are in. Since I already spent the time and effort of modifying the one I have, I'll pass.

For those of you that didn't get a stock ordered, Splat is selling his pillar bedded one. After his goes if somebdy needs one then contact me.

splattermatic
August 12, 2008, 22:17
i scored a full bedded one off another web site, it came off a pbr, and has the fn logo on the bottom of the grip.
:biggrin:

oh i put luppy prw rings on mine, holding a luppy 3.5-10.

dasu
August 19, 2008, 20:32
i need a stock. anyone know who has them in stock?

2barearms
August 19, 2008, 21:21
Originally posted by dasu
i need a stock. anyone know who has them in stock?

I bought Splatts stock, CDNN sold all the Pillar Bed stocks, although there are more on the way, they of course did have the ones that were twice as
much.

ramiller
August 20, 2008, 08:18
I put a set of Burris X rings on my pbr total cost 45.00 they seem to be the best rings for the money.

tac-40
August 20, 2008, 09:56
I need a stock. anyone know who has them in stock?

Since 2Barearms bought Splat's stock, Dasu, send me a PM. I have one available, never installed.

dasu
August 21, 2008, 07:58
sweet. PM sent!

2barearms
September 06, 2008, 20:18
Got the stock from Splatto and torquered her on ,quick swipe through the
bore and time to bore sight. 6 shots later we're dead center POA at 100yds.
Used some Gold Medal 168s and got about an inch. The rifle reacts totally
different than my SPR, the weight difference is a big factor and the trigger
is a bit more stiff. It hits me a lot harder, I was sore after 10 rds. Will clean
her up and start with the handloads next.

I used some med high Leupold MK4 steel rings and a 10x40 Tactical 3200
Elite Mildot on it, the quarter minute turrets are the way to go.

splattermatic
September 06, 2008, 21:11
glad you like it..
try 46.5 grains of varget , under a hornady 168 gr. bthp nm, fired by a fed 210 match primer.... it'll scare you, how well it likes that.. at least in my rifle.

tac-40
September 07, 2008, 08:28
Used some Gold Medal 168s and got about an inch. The rifle reacts totally
different than my SPR, the weight difference is a big factor and the trigger
is a bit more stiff.

I have used 41.5 gr of IMR 4195 in LC match brass and the Hornady 168 HPBTM for groups less than 3/4 inch. THe rifle really likes the Hornady bullets.

The trigger is adjustable. I loosened the two trigger spring nuts and backed them off a little. Pull is now around 3.5-4 pounds, down from 6 pounds. I also polished the sear surface of the trigger to smooth it out. There were some grinding marks on it that made for a gritty pull. Now it is nice and smooth. I didn't change the sear engagement setting, but that is also an option. All you need is two 1/4" open end wrenches for the nuts.

dasu
September 07, 2008, 16:25
ETA - Images no worky.

OK, its been too long since Ive shot it between the family and working on the house.

I bought 2 of the barrelled actions off CDNN - I declined to buy stocks at the same time. Mistake! I looked around for a "real" stock but budget and McMs 5 month wait convinced me to buy one of the Hogues and use the money for a scope instead. But no one had them in stock. Thankfully tac-40 came along offereing his, even coughing up 35 bucks to get it to me on time. Hooray for tac-40!!!
http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1229jy7.jpg

I put 16 rounds through it last weekend but had to cut it short since I had to break to eat dinner. It was enough for me to realize that this is an amazing buy and a lot of fun to shoot.

I decided to rob my little Izmash 22 of its Leupold 2-7x32 scope so I would have to rezero. I brought it back out yesterday in the middle of the tropical storm we were getting. winds were gusty maybe 20 miles per hour tops with heavy rains.

First two shots went high. 4.5 moa down brought it down only 2 inches and made it go farther right. Or the wind was blowing harder. :| adjusted 3 moa down and it went 3 down but farther to the right. The wind wasnt blowing harder, I think it was the fine quality Leupold. Made in the USA, mm hmm. Anyways the last 5 shots fell inside 2 inches but I think I could do better. Not bad for SA.
http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1230vq7.jpg

Ive got to figure out what scope I want now. Cash is tight, so Im thinking about the Burris Tacs.

2barearms
September 07, 2008, 19:12
I was shooting my new SAR 4800 223, which is causing me some grief, on the 50yd range and decided to pump a few rounds through the PBR and at 50 it
cloverleafed a 3 shot group. I going to get a Harris Bipod for it, my SPR has
one and it shoots better than the stand. I very happy with it and the price couldn't be beat even paying the sales tax.

tac-40
September 08, 2008, 19:19
Ive got to figure out what scope I want now. Cash is tight, so Im thinking about the Burris Tacs.

I am not an expert by any means and I surely don't have a lot of experience with scopes. But, I put one of the Super Sniper 10x fixed power scopes on my PBR and it is the cat's meow. I even compared it to our SWAT team's Remmy 700 with a Schmidt & Bender mounted. I couldn't tell the difference between the two in bright sunlight at 100 yds. Maybe somebody with good eyes could. Plus I really like the 30mm tubes.

Not bad for $325.

TXscout
September 08, 2008, 20:33
I was wanting to swap my Detachable Box Magazine setup for a fixed mag with a William's one piece, all steel, triggerguard/floorplate. I called Winchester parts department up today, and they would sell me everything but the magazine box. The parts dept gal said "we aren't selling those to the public anymore...only for factory use and in-house repairs" :uhoh:

Any ideas--The Wiliam's bottom metal is en route

ETA: Nada from Numrich and Midway either.

tac-40
September 08, 2008, 20:54
You might try Brownell's.

TXscout
September 08, 2008, 22:55
Originally posted by tac-40
You might try Brownell's.

Tried Brownells, too--Zippo.

Emails sent to FN/USA and to another guy recommended @ snipers hide that might have parts--Will update with responses

AlaskanMBR
September 08, 2008, 23:42
Just got a scope on mine, it's a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x w/ BDC. Awesome deal at $269 off Ebay. Beautifully bright and clear.

I shoot it tomorrow!!!

:love:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/CIMG1449.jpg

AlaskanMBR
September 09, 2008, 00:08
also, does anyone sell higher capacity mags for these rifles??? A ten rounder would be sweet!

2barearms
September 09, 2008, 13:45
Originally posted by AlaskanMBR
also, does anyone sell higher capacity mags for these rifles??? A ten rounder would be sweet!

I think an outfit calle CDI makes a 10 rd mag system based on the AI 308.
Do a search on Gunbroker for the SPR.

TXscout
September 09, 2008, 21:02
Originally posted by AlaskanMBR

I am also interested in the CDI bottom metal option that takes the AICS mags.

Here's the site for the bottom metal:
http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/c1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=27

Here are some links on Sniper's Hide--The receiver needs to be slightly relieved to work with this bottom metal/mag setup, but it looks to be top notch.

Orig post: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=702915&gonew=1#UNREAD

Troubleshooting/resolution thread: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=65440&Number=702985#Post702985

ETA: Some FN PBR 20", CDI bottom metal, with 10 round mag, porn (from above post @ SH)

http://i36.tinypic.com/30krtb8.jpg

AlaskanMBR
September 10, 2008, 01:45
That's a cool option, but expensive... I was hoping someone made mags that fit the factory bottom.

Broke in the rifle today, took my sweet time doing it. I was freaked out as during the break-in it shot all over the place (3") with Lake City M118. The break in was cleaning after every shot for 10 shots then cleaning after every two for the next ten shots.

It was only after that the holes got tighter, it seems like when the barrel got dirtier it shot tighter. By the time I was done with the break in I was out of the M118 I brought (wished I would have used regular old surplus for the break in). After that I shot some FM Argentinian surplus and it grouped at ~1.5".

Definitely very excited to shoot this rifle more...

dasu
September 10, 2008, 18:33
i havent read anything bad about the supersniper scope. or much about nikons. the downside of the super snipers is that they are fixed mag. im still eying a burris TAC though. i see used leupolds on arfcom, but is there any risk to buying used?

money got tight in the house fast, though, i think im going to sell my second PBR XP barrelled action to fund the scope.

MAINER
September 10, 2008, 19:07
Most of the "used" scopes I see for sale have a asking price too close to the price of new to bother taking the chance on it. And, the warrenty often doesn't apply to any but the origional purchaser.

Lookin for a scope myself, and being frugal as usual, ok, cheap! I'm finding the best, (cheapest), prices on Ebay. Most are new.

Another good place is Midsouth Shooter's Supply. Leupy's too expensive, been looking at Nikon's Monarch and Signature series along with Burris, my favorite so far. Falcon is reportedly a really good scope at $390 for a 4~14 X 44, but the dealer, RWS Gunsmithing. can't keep them in stock. Probly cause they look "Tacticool"

AlaskanMBR
September 10, 2008, 22:02
I like to go to a place like sportsman's to look through a wide selection over the price range I'm interested in so I can get a hands on, then see what the best price is online and read all the reviews.

That's how I decided on the Buckmaster 6-18. Clear throughout the x range, good positive clicks on the knobs, side focus with lots of adjustment. The reviews were all good. It comes with extra oversized target knobs.

I also liked a scope called a Nitrex, really clear, 6-20x50. Couldn't find a good deal on one online like the buckmaster tho...

I checked out a Burris tactical - I was surprised how much slop was in the turret clicks (or lack thereof) for such a spendy scope.

splattermatic
September 15, 2008, 22:20
my pbr-xp, doesn't like a 165 nosler accubond/varget combo...
bout 1 1/2" group...

MAINER
September 16, 2008, 16:11
Time to try Reloader 15 with the Noslers.

splattermatic
October 02, 2008, 15:07
any updates ??
anyone whack a critter with theirs yet ?

evan price
October 30, 2008, 05:53
Pg 26 of the current CDNN catalog lists the FN PATROL RIFLE barreled action in .308 for $399, 20" or 24" heavy fluted barrel.

I am seriously looking for a sweet .308 boltgun and somebody told me about these. Is this the same action you guys have been playing with? Worth the price? Am I crazy for wanting a 24" fluted barreled action?

Is there a drop in full-length bedded stock available?

ramiller
October 30, 2008, 07:39
In response to the post: yes, yes, no, yes.

dasu
October 30, 2008, 07:52
for whatever reason CDNN doesnt send catalogs to me. however i dont see the 308 PBR XP action listed for 399.

they do list a pillar bedded stock and a full length aluminum pillar bedded stock, but i havent seen anyone do an accuracy comparison of the two.

mcmillan had, as of august A3 stocks, albeit for the heavy barrel in stock but they wanted 500 bucks.

i think this is a good deal as-is but if you want to throw on better magazines, stocks etc, it gets too expensive; id go with a 700 instead in that case.

MAINER
October 30, 2008, 08:43
CDNN cat. volume 2008-5;

Page 3.
All are complete with Hogue type full-bedded stocks in olive or black.

1, PBR w/ DBM in 18", 20", 22", 24" @ $599.99

2, PBR-XP w/DBM in 20", 24" @ $699.99

3, PBR-XP w/hinged floorplate in 20", 24" and .308 or 300WSM @ $789.99

4, PBR W/DBM in .308 and 18" or 16" medium heavy barrel w/intregal muzzle brake $699.99

No mention of "fluted barrels"

Call 1-800-588-9500 and ask for Ken. He was up to snuff on his PBR stuff and can help you with whats available.

The PBR is a "controlled round push feed". The PBR-XP is a "controlled feed" action with claw extractor ala Mauser and Winchester mod 70, pre-64.

AlaskanMBR
November 01, 2008, 19:36
Haven't been at it too long, here's my best 5 shot group with the XP yet, .82", and I know I can get it tighter than this...

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/CIMG0259.jpg

This was with:

150gr Hornady SST
40.0gr Varget
Twice fired LC M118 brass
Federal 210 primers

I've had one 3 shot group with this combo at ~.5"

Here's the rifle:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/CIMG0258.jpg

Here's my sweet cold weather shooting gloves:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/CIMG0257.jpg

They're neoprene with a fleece lining, there are holes in the thumb and index for your fingers to poke through. It was -5F and my hands were starting to get sweaty walking back and forth to the targets- these are the ultimate shooting gloves I know of! They work great even when your hands are wet!!!

Here's me after getting home from shooting:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/CIMG0255.jpg

With the right gear, shooting at sub zero temps is a breeze.

dasu
November 02, 2008, 08:04
those are some gorgeous pictures. whats your OAL on the 150s? thats the good life up there.

AlaskanMBR
November 02, 2008, 11:09
OAL was 2.78 ", but I made a new batch at 2.80" last night and I'm hoping that will help improve the group. If it does get better I'll post pics.